RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Microtek Service

Old 08-26-2005, 03:37 PM

Microtek Service

Digital ICE just doesn't work on my machine, and I was able to speak to a service tech who took me through all the posssible corrective steps. In the end the scans were just as bad as when we started, and when I sent them to the tech department, they replied that they were ok in their judgement!!!!
ICE seems to distort more than it corrects. the result is that I have never been able to use it for my business.
As a scanner alone, the 6800 is adequate, but I would not recommend this product.
Ganguy
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2005, 04:11 PM

Po Thang!

Digital ICE is just another way to part fools from their money (my foolish sweetie bought me one). Just be happy if it scans alright.

it's a lot like playing baseball with a golf club ... or worse bringing a knife to a gun fight.

what pray tell was the business you'd hoped to use it in?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2005, 07:04 PM

I have to disagree and say I think Digital ICE is a wonder. Particularly for removing dust from colour transparencies. I presume you are aware that it doesn't work at all on B&W. But for colour trannies it is a godsend. (Using it on Epson not Microtek though)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2005, 01:59 PM

Digital Ice, as Caitlin says, can be a wonderful tool. But it is not for everything.
I do not know if you have tried VueScan. But I have heard from various sources that it's interpretation of Digital Ice works better than the original. The scanning software is pretty fabulous also. Give it a try, it is a free demo for 30 days.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2005, 09:47 PM

Sounds like i was wrong ... sorry!!!

I really thought it was just another restoration rip off. All that was discussed here a year or so ago. It has cut into the restoration demand some say.. That is because people get the impression that restoration can be done easily... even automatically, so they feel the pro's are charging too much.

so exactly what is it good for?
for removing dust from colour transparencies.
are you talking slides here? Is just dusting the transparencies not an option? No
loss of focus or sharpness?

I do like the scanner.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2005, 04:11 AM

I have to admit that I don't know the ins and outs of it Rondon, but the key thing with DigitalICE is it is actually a hardware solution, in association with software.

Unlike other software it actually must be physically built into the scanner as I gather it uses light reflection angles, or scanning frequencies or SOMETHING like that to determine what dust particles, rips etc are not in exact alignment with the surface of the image and detects them as flaws in that way. So it is far more accurate that software only dust or rip repair.

It certainly is not a substitute for photo restoration, but when scanning dozens of transparencies, or even prints, it can do quite a miraculous job of removing dust particles and tears automatically, with no modification of the original image. As to dusting the images first - of course that should be done, but my experience is that it can never be 100% effective. As I've been (rather ineffectually) writing a scanning manual here for some staff, I scanned an example of a colour transparency three ways - first with no dust removal settings, then with standard dust removal, then with Digital ICE. (This on an Epson 4870) I think the results sell the benefits of Digital ICE quite well. (And is a brilliant example of how dangerous automatic software dust removal can be - with the rather disturbing removal of one eye from Johnny O'Keefe!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orig.jpg (45.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg dustremoval.jpg (44.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg digitalICE.jpg (44.0 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2005, 07:43 AM

yeah!

yes quite a difference... i'll be checking this out next scanning session
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2005, 09:41 AM

too small

I tried to compare your example and the resolution was too low to tell much.. I can see there is a change in the quality but theArtifacts are too pronouce to tell if it is favorable... could you crop a small portion of the higher res copy for us ?... my little animation has been enlarged 400%
Attached Images
File Type: gif iceAni.gif (98.4 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2005, 09:53 AM

I actually couldn't find my high-res when I posted this today - these are just copied from the Word training document that I started several months ago. But I'll have another dig and try to find the original files again tomorrow.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware