RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Tele question..

Old 09-08-2005, 11:21 PM

Tele question..

I have the Canon S2 IS. It has 12x optical zoom. I want get a 1.5, 2, or even 3x tele lens.

So let's say I get the 2x.. does that mean I'll have 12x optical x 2 = 24x or would I have 12x + 12x2 = 36x?!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 02:58 AM

Nice camera!

Your 12x lens gives you a range of about 36-432mm on a 35mm camera.

If you put a 1.5x converter on that, it becomes 648mm at the tele end (432x1.5), and so on, so basically, yes. You will find some vignetting at the wide end when you've got the teleconverter on. Oh, and obviously the quality declines, when you put extra glass in front of the lens - be careful to get a high quality teleconverter (i.e. the one made by Canon specifically for that camera)

Happy snapping!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 11:41 AM

I was just going to find some other non-Canon brand of decent quality.. then I could get 2x or 3x.. Canon only sells 1.5x.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 01:12 PM

It will not be a good quality piece of glass. It just can't be. Take a look at prices of lenses for SLR cameras.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2005, 07:51 PM

So you're saying there's no good quality pieces of glass out there unless I get a Canon tele?! That's bull! There's other good brands out there. I never said I was gonna get one of the crap cheap ones off eBay. I was going to get a good brand.

I'm thinking of selling the camera anyway and getting a better one soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchyy
It will not be a good quality piece of glass. It just can't be. Take a look at prices of lenses for SLR cameras.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2005, 12:19 AM

Yuppicide,

I understand your reaction. I used to sell camera equipment years ago, so the situation could have changed, but aftermarket tele-converters were not a quality item when I was in the business. The built in lens is not optically designed for an add on lens and a very slight loss in quality shows up really quickly with digital because of the RBG sensor array splitting up the image and the processor in the camera putting it back together (if the detail is slightly off then it can be off more).

Rather than reacting so quickly I would highly suggest you walk into your camera store with a tripod and do a test shot with each lens shooting at the other end of the store (the differences will show up more with objects of finer detail at a distance). You might also want to shoot towards a door or window that is letting in outside light so that you can see if there is a difference in tendency to flair.

You might be surprised and you might be right - but in either case you will really know what you are purchasing and what the difference is (or isn't) .

Regards,
Roger
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware