RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Do I need a new Scanner?

Old 09-28-2005, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
Perhaps something like this or (even better) this would be affordable? Both are over your budget, but slide scanners are more expensive. These are new, but ebay has a lot of used deals.
But it looks like both of those will only do film Doug?

As to flatbeds - I have an Epson Perfection 2480 at home, and a 4870 at work, and am happy with both. They both also do slides and negs BTW (and very well) The 4780 used Digital ICE and produces results equal to a dedicated film scanner, though I think has been superseded by another model now (search online for some reviews - http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...70/page_13.htm), but is probably a bit expensive for a hobbyist.

The scan lines you are referring to Cinthia sound like a poorly calibrated scanner. Have you tried recalibrating it? Otherwise, any quality model should not have this problem. (I've never heard that HP are top in scanners...)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2005, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
But it looks like both of those will only do film Doug?

As to flatbeds - I have an Epson Perfection 2480 at home, and a 4870 at work, and am happy with both. They both also do slides and negs BTW (and very well) The 4780 used Digital ICE and produces results equal to a dedicated film scanner, though I think has been superseded by another model now (search online for some reviews - http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...70/page_13.htm), but is probably a bit expensive for a hobbyist.

The scan lines you are referring to Cinthia sound like a poorly calibrated scanner. Have you tried recalibrating it? Otherwise, any quality model should not have this problem. (I've never heard that HP are top in scanners...)
haha Caitlin,

My HP cleans up quite a lot which when you are portfolio building is not as desireable as it would seem Mine however is not an MFC but one of the older SCSI jobs from HP. I also have a couple of canon scanners, but being the lower end of the scale, think they are not quite as good as the 'ol hp. Not familiar with the Epson Scanners first hand but all my professional graphic artist clients have chased the Umax and/or Nikkon (Nikkon mainly for negatives)

To Fazools, Optical scanning resolution: 600 x 1,200 dpi, is exactly that, else it is calculating additional software via pixels, very similar to resampling in photoshop or other graphic programs, adds extra pixels via interpolation (averaging)

The Canon 630U does a good job for the price, however my canons are a bit above that one. Despite all else, go into the advanced settings, in the Canon not everything is automated and unless you are working on thumbnails or negatives, it is unlikely you need much more via resolution. For most photos 300dpi is what I use and that gives me room for upscaling. Use 2400 dpi min on negatives only, a 600dpi will quickly fill your hard drive, cause your printer to labour etc. etc. etc. If you images are dark, then look at some of the default settings, else you may have to calibrate your scanner into your software package (nightmare stuff at times for me)

Last edited by Cassidy; 09-28-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2005, 12:50 PM

here's a link to the negative scanner i use at home. it was only $129 u.s. and doesnt have some of the fancy features that doug's have, but it does a good job. it was a bit fussy to install and get working. it seems windows doesnt like two scanners on the same machine, so i had to put one on my windows 98 machine. but, like i said, it does a good job, especially for the price. also, Staples sometimes carries these in stock and if they dont currently, you can order through them and have it shipped directly to you.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware