Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

The grand question.. CRT or TFT?

Old 09-17-2005, 05:28 AM
The grand question.. CRT or TFT?

Right now I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 997DF at home and some crap Siemens TFT at work.

The SyncMaster is an excellent monitor, but even tho the Siemens TFT is possibly the worst when it comes to color rendition precision, it displays pictures a lot sharper (of course).

Now I've been testing a few TFT every now and then with the last being an Acer earlier this year. Unfortunately it was a huge disapointment. While color rendition seemed ok mostly, the biggest problem was the backlight being too bright at the corners and especially at the lower edge.
I brought it back to the vendor and tested a few others, but every TFT had trouble with the backlight which makes color rendition for dark tones a nightmare.

Now I really love the sharp image of TFTs, but I don't want to have problems with color rendition.
Does anyone have a suggestion or maybe know the grand TFT for photo works that doesn't cost a fortune?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Drach, I have dual TFT's but even so, my analogue CRT's provide much better definition and colour tone, but in saying that, my epson printer does correct so much along the way, damned if I do and damned if I don't
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2005, 05:38 PM
CRT or...

Spent some time with an Apple 23" Cinema yesterday. A dream, but pricy of course. I'm afraid that's the way it is with these thin screens: if you can get the best, you won't be disappointed. But absent that kind of quality (and money), you'll find the CRTs are wonderful in the evening of their life. Let me suggest a NEC MultiSync FE991 SB. I just bought my second one. The device is easily calibrated and STAYS that way, even when you turn it down for ordinary work and turn it up for colour work. And all the turning up/down, and calibrating the colour guns and all (I use a Spyder), is done with an elegant piece of software provided free from the company site. The cost is low and the results more than excellent. Mind you, the CRTs heat my study in the winter!
Bob Bollini
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2005, 01:04 AM
One of the problems (or better say the main problem) is the price..

I looked around at and it seems the best TFT for photo works is the Eizo L997, but with a price of EUR 1.249,00 it's pretty expensive.
The alternatives are NEC/LaCie which are only a little bit cheaper.
The Apple screen got a relative bad review for photo works, but it seems pretty nice for CAD (see below).

After looking around some more I found the Iiyama HM204DT.
Tho it's a CRT it's pretty tempting. At a price of "only" EUR 599,00 it offers a 22" display which supports 2048x1536 @ 88Hz
I checked that resolution on my Samsung at it's really cool to work with such a high resolution, tho my Samsung supports it with only 60Hz meaning a headache after a few minutes.

I don't know if I maybe read too much into the reviews from and maybe such a high-end TFT like the Eizo isn't needed for the untrained eye and the Apple (or Viewsonic, Dell or whatever else) would satisfy my needs.

Any further comments are greatly appreciated

Edit: I just searched for the NEC FE991SB and besides that it's not available in my area, it's pretty much like my Samsung so it wouldn't really be an upgrade. As I said, the Samsung is one of the best 19" CRTs I've ever seen

Last edited by Drach; 09-19-2005 at 01:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2005, 08:39 AM
I'm just starting my "professional" photo retouching career, and I have been facing same kind of problems like you (CRT Vs. TFT) This far I had choose CRT, mostly because of the price. Unfortunately I can't help you to find proper priced TFT, instead can you recommend me some proper CRT for photo works?

You mentioned earlier that you are using Samsung SyncMaster 997DF. You consider it "excellent".

Well, do you have opinion about Samsung Syncmaster 1100DF?

Last edited by Arde; 10-23-2005 at 12:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Hope we can get some other folks in here to comment on the type of monitor they use for their graphics work.

I am fully aware of the sharp image on LCD TFT monitors. But I am also aware that when viewing from different angles you get some very different ideas of the brightness, color rendition, contrast etc. of your image.

I may be buying a new pc designed especially for graphics and media. But I am still going to get the flat screen CRT based on the info I now have.

Let's have some other comments, suggestions, problems, discussed from some of you that have tried both.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2005, 03:45 PM
I have a Viewsonic VP191. I didn't specifically buy it for professional photo work though. But my experience with it is it has a very wide angle of view - so doesn't have the kinds of problems Steve mentions. THis was one of the features that attracted me to this monitor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2005, 09:33 PM
I use a Viewsonic PF95f+ monitor. I also had problems with TFT LCDs (mainly color - shifted towards magenta) and couldn't find a satisfactory display at a price I could afford. The Viewsonic CRT has been excellent, and can't be beat for the price. Holds calibration and gets along well with my Canon i9900 printer. Now I run in dual monitor mode - CRT for graphics work and LCD for everything else.

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 08:25 AM
i have an old dell (sony Trinitron 21 inch ) at work and i love it. I wish i could find a mate for the house. At home i use a 19 viewsonic. I find that viewsonic has problems with projecting a true flat image unlike the Trinitron.

I really would like to get a lacie 22 inch crt and pick up a cheap lcd for my tool bars and menus.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 09:01 AM
CRT will always be better than TFT. Not only is the picture clearer with better colours, but the life span of a TFT is much lower than a CRT. If you read the warranty on a TFT monitor, they all say to expect 1-3 % pixel loss within the first 12 months. And they will only fix it under warranty if the dead pixels are joined (in blocks of 3 or more).
I went round the shops not so long ago looking at TFT's, and not one of them could match the clarity of my Dan CRT monitor.
My advice to anyone buying a new monitor is go for a good CRT.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware