RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Sony GDMC520K

Old 10-10-2005, 10:00 PM

Sony GDMC520K

Why is it that when the warranty expires so does the product?

Well my Sony monitor is starting to have loud static-like pops, goes black, then the image returns. I performed a Google search and it didn’t produce promising results. It appears to be a fairly common, although ignored problem. Luckily I believe my monitor is actually still under warranty so perhaps I can get it fixed. I've done all the troubleshooting steps without any change. I tried Sony’s LIVE CHAT but got the run around...not an encouraging sign, but I will try calling tomorrow and hope I get better results…keep your fingers crossed.

Anyone else out there with this monitor or one that "pops"?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Janitor

One of mine pops, but doesn't go black (yet). It is (as I understand it) a pretty serious problem. If it's under warranty, take advantage of it (although you might find that monitor warranties actually suck).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 12:36 PM

Well I called Sony....not very encouraging. They discontinued the model in 2002 (hmmmm, I bought it in 2003), but it is still under warrenty which is good. They won't tell me anything over the phone until I fax them a copy of my sales receipt and they won't accept email. So I will have to fax it out tomorrow. I asked if it was a common problem with the unit (considering I have read it was and might explain why the discontinued the unit,) but of course they said they had never heard of such a problem. I guess I will have to wait and see what they do after the fax. I am suppose to fax my receipt, wait 4 hours for them to enter it into the system and then call them. Must admit I probably wouldn't buy another Sony.

Last edited by T Paul; 10-12-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 12:38 PM

Talked with an engineer friend at work and his guess is it's the capacitor going bad. Supposedly, Sony monitor's are notorious for having this problem, but only with the original capacitor. Seems after it is replaced then you are in good shape.

Last edited by T Paul; 10-12-2005 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 01:01 PM

It makes you wonder what their business model is if they don't seem to take an interest in problems with their products... or an interest in their customers for that matter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2005, 10:49 AM

Sony Saga….

Well Sony sent me a refurbished unit to replace my existing monitor since it is under warranty. I had to pay to ship my old unit back though.

I got the refurbished unit and it is defective (lucky me). It is dropping colors in the lower left section of the screen. Also the Artisan Color Correction Unit they sent with the monitor was not in the best of shape. The hood had stains on it, the color correction spider’s cord had nicks in it and they didn’t ship the Velcro tabs to mount the hood to the screen. But what really bothered me was when I called to tell them the monitor was defected; they wanted to know what I used it for (hobby or professional). So if it’s hobby, well you don’t need all the colors (despite the fact that you paid a whole heck of a lot of money for a professional screen).

I am in the process of trying to get a second refurbished unit sent out, but so far I am getting a lot of run around. The first two weeks I was told to wait and see if the monitor would improve, then to unplug it from my surge protector and plug it directly in the wall and so on. Also, each time I called it was an hour process and they kept routing me to different people and giving me different numbers to call. After two weeks, I finally got someone to talk to me and arrange for a new refurbished monitor to be sent. However, when I called today to check on a tracking number…4 days later….they said they don’t have any units and would get back in touch with me. Personally, I think they are waiting until the warranty expires.

Needless to say, I am not very impressed with Sony.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2005, 04:22 PM

I called back again since I never heard back from anyone, and this time they said they have no record of a new unit being set-up to send to me. So I get yet another "event id" (think I have 5 now) and yet another lengthy phone call supposedly resolving the issue. I'll call back tomorrow to see if it's true or not and whether they will give me a shipping number.

Not a happy camper at the moment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Janitor

I feel your pain. I came |this| close to buying an Artisan, but now I'm glad I went with Mitsubishi instead (still with a Trinitron tube, though).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2005, 06:16 PM

Consider yourself very lucky.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2005, 06:40 PM

Well as of today still no replacement monitor for the faulty one they sent and now it's starting to blur in and out. I keep calling and keep getting the run around. They haven't even shipped the replacement yet.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware