RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Dual Monitors

Old 11-16-2005, 09:22 AM

Dual Monitors

I've done a search and can't find this question having been discussed. I have set up dual monitors, a 19" LCD and a 21" CRT, and I have them set to dual view, with the CRT as the primary monitor. It's working great, and I can open Painter, etc., in the CRT and the tools and palettes are in the LCD screen (wish I'd done this long ago). My question is this, I do my digital art in the CRT, but I would also love to pass it over to the LCD, to see how it looks there as well. How do I do that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2005, 09:43 AM

Can't answer Catherine's question. But sounds like a good idea

My question is how to setup, or at least check a new CRT monitor to be sure it is producing the same results as the old one. I just upgraded computers and want to be sure I am seeing relatively the same colors, contrast etc as the old one.

Any default settings I can check for etc.? As of now it looks pretty close to the old CRT but want to be sure. Have also checked it with charts from the net and they look pretty good. Am just looking for any "rule of thumb" things you folks do to assure that WYSIWYG.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2005, 09:43 AM

Catherine,

Your setup sounds identical to mine. When I want to see how an image in Photoshop looks on the LCD display, I just grab the image's title bar and drag it from the CRT over to the LCD. Not all programs will allow you to do that - some constrain the document windows to within the program's window frame. I don't know if Painter will allow that or not. If not, you may have to set Painter so that it's not running "maximized", then drag the entire Painter window (with the image in it) over to the LCD.

Hope this helps!

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2005, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway
My question is how to setup, or at least check a new CRT monitor to be sure it is producing the same results as the old one. I just upgraded computers and want to be sure I am seeing relatively the same colors, contrast etc as the old one.

Steve
Steve, is there a particular reason you want your new CRT to give the same results as your old one? You may want to consider just calibrating your new monitor to provide the most accurate colors with correct gamma settings, and/or matching to the output of your printer. I suggest this because its possible that your old monitor may not have been calibrated to begin with and would make a poor reference. As CRT monitors age, they can lose calibration. They should be checked every other month or so, depending on use.

There is a lot of information on RP regarding monitor calibration. You may want to start with this thread:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...or+calibration

There is a tutorial by Doug on monitor calibration, but it is geared towards Photoshop. I believe you use PaintShop Pro?

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2005, 10:55 AM

Hi Kurt.

Just trying to double check the factory calibration on my CRT. Don't want to improve images that don't need corrections just because my monitor looks like they do.

Thought there might be a check and/or setting people here use as a starting point to be sure they are in the ball park.

Will try your forum suggestion.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschulz
Steve, is there a particular reason you want your new CRT to give the same results as your old one? You may want to consider just calibrating your new monitor to provide the most accurate colors with correct gamma settings, and/or matching to the output of your printer. I suggest this because its possible that your old monitor may not have been calibrated to begin with and would make a poor reference. As CRT monitors age, they can lose calibration. They should be checked every other month or so, depending on use.

There is a lot of information on RP regarding monitor calibration. You may want to start with this thread:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...or+calibration

There is a tutorial by Doug on monitor calibration, but it is geared towards Photoshop. I believe you use PaintShop Pro?

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 03:56 PM

Kurt, you're an angel!
Quote:
If not, you may have to set Painter so that it's not running "maximized", then drag the entire Painter window (with the image in it) over to the LCD.
This works in Painter! Thank you. I'm just getting used to this set up, and I'm wondering................. why I waited so long to set up a second monitor!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniday
...and I'm wondering................. why I waited so long to set up a second monitor!
I agree - its the only way to go!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware