RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

"Compatible" inks

Old 12-14-2001, 12:37 AM

DJ - the reason for the huge price is that our currency is being kept at an artificially low rate (55:1), but on the black market, which, since the banks have no foreign currency, is what everone uses, is around 300:1. So suppliers have to cover their replacement costs. Then on top of everything there is duty - not sure what rate for printer cartridges, but some things (like cars) carry a rate of around 135%. It's crazy.

Thanks for the link - sadly, it looks like they don't do carts for the 1160.

These pigment inks - when you say they look different, like how different? The photo gloss spray sounds like a useful item - I've tried varnishing some of the prints I've used in mixed-media collages, to see how they fare. Something like a spray varnish might work too?

Chris - I look for the part number - the carts are the same as for the 760/860.

Jeanie - yes, I nearly fell off my chair when I heard the price too. My business is starting not to make economic sense any more ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2001, 01:22 PM

Wow, Sam
How does one afford to live in such a place? Especially if you like to own a car or electronic equipment. For that price, you could fly to Europe and pick up several cartridges yourself. It's a shame you don't have a decent government there. Wish I knew how to get around that one.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2001, 09:15 AM

Sam,

How does the postal system operate especially foreign mail. With Mugabe being such a complete headcase is the stuff especially packages not opened ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2001, 10:04 AM

I read recently that something like 20% of all mail into/out of Zimbabwe goes astray ... and one postal worker was discovered with 2,000 letters and packages in his house, which he had stolen, thinking they contained cash!!

So, yes, there's always a risk involved - but then, there's not a lot of choice!

Completely off the point, I loved the latest speech by Mugabe, during which he made this interesting suggestion: "The British were brought up as a violent people, liars, scoundrels and crooks and I am told that Blair was a troublesome little boy at school. So we cannot have reasonable dialogue with such people."

It would be funny if it weren't so depressing ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2001, 07:38 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Sam,

The price you have to pay for ink is absolutely crazy! There is an Epson mailing list available from www.leben.com if you are interested. There are a lot of very informed folks there who are there to help. It might be worth it to sign up for the mailing list, but if you do, it might be smart to sign up for the digest form since the list has a huge membership, and it is very busy. I've seen a lot of talk on there about "Generation" inks, and I *think* they are generally thought of as being very good. Also, someone (I can't remember who) posted a link recently that pertains to the Epsons. There is a lot of good information on there, and there is a link to "Generations" inks, as well as others. In case you missed it, here's the link: http://home.att.net/~arwomack01/#troubleshoot
Best of luck to you in finding something suitable.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2001, 10:31 PM

Thanks for your help, Ed and those links, which I am in the process of checking out right now. I particularly like the way the Leben lists link to discussions concerning: Epson, Digital, Scanning, Movies, Wine. Like they all go together naturally!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2001, 07:18 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
You're welcome Sam. I just hope you can find something useful.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2002, 02:50 PM

just reading thru...i have an epson 870 and i bought ink for it in december at buy.com...13.90 for color and 17.35 for black. the shipping charge is what gets you, but i got it down to about 1.50 per by combining orders...the retail stores near me sell the ink for more than the prices on the epson web site....epson doesn't charge for delivery to chicago area...maybe to zimbabwe

DJ-i feel like i go thru ink like water. i'll be trying your discount site.

don
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2002, 06:45 PM

Don
I've ordered from them several times and were pleased with the service. They also have excellent deals on paper also.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 02:43 AM

Just thought you might be amused by this interesting fact I just picked up from a South African computer wholesaler:-

Price of one Epson ink cartridge (for 1160) = R430 (about US$32)
Price of brand new Epson Stylus Color 580 printer = R599

Makes sense, huh?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware