Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Best TFT monitor?

Old 03-22-2006, 04:35 AM
Best TFT monitor?

Hello Everyone

I'm thinking of buying new monitor as on my HP Pavilion f1723 contrast is not big enough. When I'm calibrating it with Pantone Spyder last few shades of gray/black look exactly the same... And also sometimes retouched photo on the screen look alright, and when I print it out some ugly green things are coming out...

I want 21" monitor... Does anyone has one that can recommend?

I will really appriciate help... greetings from sunny London!

Last edited by margotshp; 03-23-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 03:56 AM
Hi Margot,

If you're serious about monitoring and are doing a lot of work for print there is really only one choice: the Eizo CG210.

I spent a great deal of time researching this particular subject, asking a large number of professionals their opinions, and trying out a lot of different screens before deciding on this one.

I purchased mine nearly 5 months ago (along with the EyeOne Display2 Monitor calibration system) and I can't tell you what a difference it's made to my work and workflow.

I know it's pretty pricey, but it's already paid for itself simply in the time and proofing costs it's saved me.

Alternatively you could do worse than check out the high end NEC and Lacie screens, but remember: what you pay for is what you get.

P.S. London may be sunny right now, but it's also FREEEEEZING!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Dear Margot, maybe what I'll say it's not what you want, or you already know a lot more about monitors than me.

I was wondering about 21" and 19" monitors, but reading specifications, mostly the difference it's just 100 pixels higher, I mean, 19" it's equal to 1920x1440 pixels, when the 21" it's equal to 2048x1536.

The difference it's near to 100 pixels only, and if you can check what really it's 100 pixels, I think the price of a 21" monitor it's very subestimated on what you are really getting. I'll buy a 19" monitor and with the money that I saved, I could buy a nice hardware to calibrate monitors.

We have calibrated our monitors to all the exits, it's quite simple, Photoshop have a lot of helps with this, I have one calibration for Press, one for Laser printing and the last one for Minilab, of course we only print in one Press, one Laser printer and one Minilab, but the final results are excellent
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Well, I'd be just happy if somebody could recommend one 19" for an affordable price
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Of course Eizo is the best, and the most expensive, but to my knowledge the only one capable of showing the whole adobe RGB gamut....

I can't afford it, so I bought a Belinea, 19 inch, which I calibrated with a pantone spyder, and it works just fine, good colors, no surprise, and good price/performance ratio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Pantone spyder!!!, that's what I couldn't translate in my last message, yes, we used that to calibrate all the monitors of the newspaper.

We use Macintosh monitors and they are cheap really (the old ones).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware