RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Wacom Tablet

Old 02-09-2002, 07:18 AM

I've used an ADB ArtZ II for years... and I love it. But I'll soon be trading in for a USB... as my new computer isn't ADB native and I've had problems in the past with adapters.

As far as size... I always go with 4x5. It's odd, I know. But I used the bigger 6x8's and 9x12's in college and after a couple of hours my arm would get tired.. especially w/the 9x12! So 4x5 suits me fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2002, 07:57 AM

I have an old 8 x 6 Wacom Artzy tablet (probably over 10 years old). I update the drivers periodically, and it's still working great.

I couldn't imagine doing restoration work without this thing!

I've corresponded with several people who've purchased a tablet, but were unable to get used to it. I usually suggest a setup for the tablet that makes it work like a mouse (movements), which seems to really do the trick for them.

In case anyone is interested, here's a screenshot of the setup in Control Panel. The "display area" and "aspect" settings are what make the difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wacom.jpg (44.4 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2002, 03:46 PM

Vikki, thanks so much for posting the setup screenshot. My Wacom tablet is on backorder, but it should be shipped this month. I've been real concerned that I may not be able to adjust to it. But if I can make it behave like a mouse, maybe I'll have a chance.

Thanks.
Sharon J
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2002, 06:06 PM

Just remember to be patient Sharon. Like with anything, using a tablet takes some practice. When I first started using one, it tool me quite awhile to get the hang of it...(for me it was like a month before I was as comfotable with one as I was with a mouse). It's especially tricky trying to use a pen AS a mouse- for pull down menus, navigating through the OS, etc. (That sort of stuff you may want to just keep your mouse handy for anyway.) In the end, the payoff of sticking to the tablet is WELL worth it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2002, 06:28 PM

I thought it was a lot harder setting the pen to work like a mouse. I like it set where my tablet represents the actual size of my screen. I didn't seem to have any problem getting used to it at all. I still use my mouse for other things though.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2002, 11:34 AM

6x8 or 9x12

So does size matter? I am looking at getting an Intuos2 as well and I am between the 6x8 and the 9x12. Now the price difference is a factor, but I would hate to invest in the smaller Intuos2 when the larger one is what I really needed and vice versa. I noticed from this thread that a lot of you have 6x8 tablets. Is the 6x8 space a comfortable work space or would you want just a bit more?

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2002, 11:23 AM

More questions

Hi all, thought I knew what thread to be in to ask about all these intuos, graphires, etc. questions - my novicity leaves me amazed. Are these programs? Is there a better mouse than the laser, more sensitive and can the present laser go bad?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2002, 11:50 AM
Janitor

Gail:

The Intuos and Graphire are models of drawing tablet (a mouse "substitute" that lets you draw with an actual pen instead of with a hockey puck).

I've not heard about the mouse "laser" going bad, and optical mice (mouses?) are generally considered to be excellent (I know I love mine). Many people just feel the tablet/pen combination is much more natural and sensitive for photo editing than a mouse.

Check out http://www.wacom.com for drawing tablet details.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2002, 01:57 PM

Smile

Doug - thanks for the expain and the site. Sounds like a much better tool!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2002, 05:35 PM

Hi All,

UPS delivered my Wacom Intuos 2 yesterday and I’ve been playing around with it. I have a question regarding selection an object. When selecting with the mouse, I can use the hand tool to move to a different location on the photo with out loosing my selection. When I use the pen tool in combination with the hand tool, I lose my selection. I am I doing something wrong? Also is there a way to make the pen less sensitive? I am using the tablet with PS 6.

Thanks.
Sharon
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware