RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Help!!! My network left me!!

Old 04-21-2006, 09:01 AM

gary,

you'll have to forgive me; i helped out on a sort of tech support site before and the hardest part of the job wasnt in evaluating the data, it was in getting the data out of the client. 'hi, i have a computer and when i turn it on the monitor stays black'. that's the kind of post you'd get. lol. nothing else, just that. you'd post readme threads and readme first and you could even require reading it as part of the registering on the site and you'd still get 'hi, my computer is broken; can you fix it?'.... enough to drive a sane man mad

so, this is all a bit late on the chain of events and i was venting just a bit. all i can say is, 'hi, i'm broken; can you fix me?'

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2006, 11:23 AM

Yep, sounds familiar, just like some of the requests we get for Malware removal on the forums.

A crystal ball isn't mandatory, but it sure would come in handy at times.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2006, 05:57 PM

Thanks for your offers of help on this.

So lets start at the top. Yes I have started it in safe mode and checked the device manager to no avail.

Yes, I have run antivirus scans (both AVG and Norton) and scanned for ad-ware/spyware etc.

It is running XP Home.

Everything else seems to be running okay but is does seem to take longer to boot up.

No there has been no smells of any kind coming from the machine and it is pretty much dust free.

We have had a lot of wind and some snow but no thunderstorms. Yes it is is hooked up to good surge protecter and no there have been no power outages or anything that might have caused a power spike.

I had not been inside the machine since installing the PCI card, about a month ago, and I am always extermely careful to be well grounded when I do open it.

Nothing strange had been going on prior to these problems.

I did install drivers for a scanner but that was a day or two before the problems started. I did a system resore to a point before that and it didn't help.

I did a full system recovery, formatting the hard drive and installing the OS from disc.

Both the onboard and the nic adapter WERE enabled so you might have something there, though I don't know how to reset the cmos. This could be worth a try.

Oh one thing I have noticed, the clock did not have the correct time. It was 2 hours fast and yes, it is set for the correct time zone.

I think that covers most of your questions.

If you have any more just let me know. I am not to terribly upset over the loss of this system if it comes to that, but I like to do things for myself and I like to learn to do things for myself. On top of that we never know when a lurker or anybody else may be able to pick up useful information.

-Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2006, 06:44 PM

thank you, cardmnal.

ok, everything i see here now from your responses points to one thing, the cmos battery: computer 2 or 3 years old, devices start to not show up or do weird things, and clock is off by a significant amount. that tiny little battery on your motherboard is extremely important. it basically keeps the cmos resident. if it goes bad or starts to fail, things start getting lost at that most basic level.

so, the fix is simple, get a new battery. it will be on your motherboard, usually one of those small, dime or nickel sized round types. remove the old one, install the new one and boot up. replacing that battery may reset your cmos settings, so things may still not be right when you boot up the first time. since you seem to know your way around a computer, just reset them to whatever you had them at before...or whatever you wish, of course.

anyways, that's what i'd try first; simple, quick, and if we're lucky, that's all it will be

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2006, 07:13 PM

Craig,

I found the battery and removed it. as soon as I can get to a town where I can buy one...I will.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks
Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2006, 09:56 PM

Thumbs up The saga continues

Well, I replaced the CMOS battery as suggested. The results were negative...the computer still cannot find either network adapter. As a matter fo fact I noticed that the device manager no longer finds the voice modem either (It is understandable that i wouldn't notice this right away since I do not use it). It seems as though the communications BUS has gone on vacation...I just don't know what, if anything, I can do about it.

Meanwhile I popped a Belkin wireless adapter into a USB port and it was immediately recognized and I now at least have network capabilies.

I loaded Photoshop and my other apps onto my Toshiba laptop and my wife immediatly took it with her on a business trip and will be gone for a week.

In the mean time I think I will load some games onto this one and let the kids literaly "play it to death"
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2006, 06:45 AM

cardmnal,

whelp, we didnt get lucky and with what you just said about plugging the belkin into the usb and the voice modem not being seen either, i'd say you have a fried chip on the motherboard. it's not the cpu, but one of those that control the i/o of some of the ports, at least that's my take on it.

i had the same thing happen a number of years ago. for me, it was a lightning strike that did it. i had the computer with good surge protection on the electrical side of things, but didnt have any protection on the phone line into the modem. a lightning strike nearby hit the phone lines, fried my modem and just that part of the motherboard. the computer still worked, but i lost all i/o on those ports. the chip was just wasted and i ended up replacing the motherboard.

yours might be a bit different, but sounds similar enough that i'm guessing letting the kids have a new game machine is probably the way to go. at least you know they wont be getting on the net and downloading anything... well, at least until they figure out your belkin will work

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware