RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

computer on the fritz

Old 08-18-2006, 01:36 PM

gary, thanks. i found the old .dbx files for oe and moved them over and that worked fine. still have to do the address book at mail settings and accounts, but that wont be too hard now that i have that web page you gave.

on the i.e. stuff, again, thanks. i forgot i was using mostly mozilla and did find the old favorites from old i.e. so i'll have to find the old settings for mozilla too. lol. i hate windows.

racc, yeah, quite odd about the K: drive. and i'm not real pleased with those guys either. frankly, after selling me two defective devices and forcing me to make 5 hour long trips (30 mins. there and 30 back) and the tech guy had already set the stuff up and did it wrong (or at least non-standardly), i kinda feel like all that extra fee stuff shld have been waived as well. but, like you pointed out, i was so glad to get the machine back and so tired of fighting all this crap, i just said 'fine! gimme my computer!' and ran.

and yes, ideally i shld just re-do it all, but i'm so tired of fooling with all this that i'm just kinda ignoring it....for now. i can change all the other drive letters around; just not the system drive. so, K: pretty much has to stay K: unless i want to uninstall everything and re-format. i hate windows.

besides, i'm too afraid at this point that if i re-did it all that i'd find another device not working or blow something up or hit something with a very large sledge hammer in my ire.

did i mention i hate windows?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
did i mention i hate windows?
If you think its bad now, wait for Vista!

Think I'll be looking at Linux (been meaning to for a while now).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2006, 06:08 PM

Vista makes me shudder.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2006, 09:55 PM

well, now all the little idiot things are starting to show up. i've got sound but it's very low even with the volume setting at maximum. i've checked everything i know to check, including dxdiag, control panel sound stuff and adjusting settings on something that seems to have come with the motherboard, some sort of sound manager program. i've even added the extra settings to the little sound manager that stays resident in the systray. all devices say working and no trouble. i've got no question marks or red marks in device manager. it's one of those onboard avance 97 sound cards and seems to have all drivers installed and shows up in all the control setting entries.

i havent tried updating drivers yet for the sound card. dxdiag reports everything is fine even though i can barely hear the sounds.

also, my internet is cutting out once in a while, especially if i leave the machine idle for a while. i call up the browser and i get a zone alarm message saying something about zone alarm blocking....ah! i just figured this one out...i think. i havent put the modem software on (the connection was working without it and i kind of put it aside) and my isp is sending a signal to update the connection. it doesnt see the resident software and gets blocked by zone alarm. lol. ok, i think i can fix this one.

but the sound is a mystery so far.

ya know, those new mac commercials keep coming to mind. there's one where the two guys representing windows and mac are talking and the windows guy is sitting in a box while the mac guy is standing. the whole conversation is about mac being already set up and ready to go when you buy it, while with a pc you have a lot to do yet after taking it out of the box before you can really do anything with it. and boy, does that seem poignant at this point.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2006, 07:53 AM

Which version of ZA are you using, there's been quite a few issues with the latest update that haven't been resolved yet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Patron

I'm thinking about going the UBUNTU route myself. Vista gets more colorful as it develops (see what the Black Hat's have done to it. lol).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2006, 10:09 AM

gary, the za version is 6.5.731.00. i believe that's the latest and yes, i downloaded it from their site just recently. what issues are you seeing with this?

i also checked my old drives to see if i had an earlier version i could install. cant seem to find one, which is odd, because i usually save all downloads off in a separate location to where i install.

lk, yes, i picked up a cd at the computer store of Ubuntu. i might check this out also.

still havent figured out this sound issue. am seriously thinking of starting over on this mess and wiping their install of windows and my drives. i dont quite understand why microsoft wont let you change the drive letters on the system drive.

also, is there any program anyone knows of that is like the old 'magic mover' that came with earlier versions of partition magic? this program allowed one to move software and keep registry entries intact. like, you could have an installed program and 'move' it to a new location somewhere and it would either change the appropriate registry entries or some how track them and keep the integrity of the program working no matter where you moved it. so, if i had program A sitting on the F: drive and wanted to move it to the E: drive, it would do so such that the program would continue to work regardless of the registry. this may have only been before windows xp and only for win98. i used to have it for my win98 machine and it was very handy. xp being so much more complex may now prevent it and may be the reason that it no longer comes with partition magic. but if anyone knows of such a beast i'd love to know about it.

also, i may as well ask since gary has said the new zone alarm has issues, where can i get an earlier version if i cant find one on my system somewhere?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2006, 12:41 PM

Hi Craig.

There is an article here that describes how to change the boot drive letter.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;223188

However it is risky. If it goes wrong you will need this

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;249321

If you decide to have a go it will be worth printing out these pages before starting.

You will probably need to reinstall all your programs.

I have Zone Alarm Setup_65_722_000_en.exe. If you want it please email me.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2006, 02:43 PM

Hi Craig,

The latest ZA locks out your hosts file which can cause problems if you have any entries there, it also has had a few connectivity issues. They are being very slow with any remedies for the Free version. Also has conflicts with Webroot Spysweeper. (These are reported problems I've seen on the Malware Forums I work on, I don't have personal experience of them, with the exception of the Hosts problem). I re-loaded the earlier version (luckily I do have a copy).

You could try Free version of Outpost http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpostfree/index.php

Kerio also make a good Freeby, (its a 30 day trial, but at the end of the trial it still works but with reduced functionality, read the features on the web page to see if its OK for what you need) http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2006, 11:00 PM

ken,

i started reading that article and got this far:
Quote:
Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article to change a drive on a computer where the drive letter has not changed. If you do so, you may not be able to start your operating system. Follow the procedure that is described in this article only to recover from a drive letter change, not to change an existing computer drive to something else.
and decided this didnt apply to me. what i did do was change all the other drive letters back to how i wanted them... a lot less confusing now. i can live with the system drive being K: for now as long as nobody hardwires their paths to C: .

changing the drive letters did mess up a couple of already installed programs but those were easy to re-install.

i called my isp today and found out that their modem doesnt need software to run. it's an ethernet connection. i'd only need software if it was a usb connection. so, seems like it's this version of zone alarm. i'll look more closely on my old drives for a copy. and thanks, ken; i may take you up on that offer if i cant find another earlier version.

and yes, gary, it's the 'Generic Host Process' that za is blocking. and however that works it cuts out my browser from browsing as well. the odd thing is that za says nothing is blocked when i looked the program list. so, definitely looks like a bug.

never heard of those other firewalls, so thank you

i also got my main email account set back up and even managed to play a game. quite odd about the sound, though. i mean, i could hear things in the game but it was like at half volume and i couldnt raise it any higher. gotta find that bug. one clue left on that one; seems that realtek, the makers of the onboard sound, included a program called avrack, or something close to that', and when i tried it out a couple days ago it completely locked up. i had a hard time even with task manager in killing the thing. so, that one's real suspect at this point.

every time i go through this process i swear i'm going to go into the o/s writing business and put M$ out of business. this is a very clumsy way to do things.

thanks guys

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware