RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

computer on the fritz

Old 08-20-2006, 04:18 AM

If you have trouble terminating processes, try Advanced Process Termination, a handy little Freeware tool. (Read the help file before using).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2006, 07:09 PM

thanks gary

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2006, 10:39 PM

ok, i found ver 6.5.722, the one ken suggested. i got it from www.download.com . you'll have to scroll down their list of firewalls to find it, but it's there. they have 731 too. nice to be able to get older versions of software sometimes.

so, i just got it installed and we'll see. if this doesnt do it then i'm going to suspect the service pack 2 'security' interface thing. but, we'll see.

i'll tell ya, though, macs are sure looking good these days

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2006, 03:21 AM

You're welcome Craig.

If you've got a copy of HJT, then that also has process termination capabilities in the Misc Tools section. Click on the Config button to access them.

Yep, Macs have definitely got things to be said for them, but I have far too much fun hacking junk off other peoples PCs to ever go over to one.

But if I wanted a box just for working on, I think I'd probably be giving them my money.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
but I have far too much fun hacking junk off other peoples PCs to ever go over to one.
lol. now you're starting to sound like my oldest brother. his view on all this pc hassle is 'well, what fun would it be if it all worked correctly?'. you have to understand, this is a guy who used to program mainframes by typing in the code directly, byte by byte; no languages (other than machine/assembly) or pre-typed programs; you just typed it in blind.

anyways, this other version of za has now done the same thing as the last one. so, i took a closer look at what it was saying. seems it was blocking outbound via generic host process for win32 services to my modem for some reason. so, i just added my static ip address to the trusted zone and unblocked the generic host process and then it worked again. lol. i hope i havent just opened my entire system up. and it was only blocking it on the server side in the internet zone. not sure why it would even need to be active on the server side in the first place.

i looked at the alert log and it said:
Quote:
ZoneAlarm blocked an outbound communication to a Domain Name Server. The function of a Domain Name Server (DNS) is to convert a domain's IP address, such as 207.25.71.28, into a recognizable name, such as www.cnn.com
and it also said:
Quote:
ZoneAlarm prevented your computer from accessing port 53 on a DNS server

ZoneAlarm prevented your computer from sending a message to a remote computer. No breach in your security has occurred.Your computer is safe
lol. yeah it's safe. i also cant surf. (well, i can now).

anyways, if i get loaded with virues and spyware i'll know i've done the wrong thing. it's a new system. if i have to wipe the entire thing again, it wont be too awful and i could then just change that stupid K: as system drive anways

i'm afraid i'm just smart enough to know i'm stupid on some of this stuff.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2006, 02:31 PM

You've only opened to outgoing communications, your security will not be compromised.

Can't see why a DNS connection would be blocked in the first place. Generic Host Process (C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) is usually enabled for Access to Internet by default in ZA.

On server side usual settings are ? for Trusted and X for Internet. If you try to change them you usually get dire warnings of doom popping up.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 08-21-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2006, 02:41 PM

I remember back in the old DOS days when every file or dll a program needed to run was installed into the program's folder. If you wanted to move the application somewhere else, all you needed to do was move the folder. And if you wanted to delete it, all you had to do was erase the folder and the program would be gone... no little tendrils permently bound to the OS.

One (of the myriad many) reasons why Windows is so screwy is all in the name of saving you hard drive space. Why should you have to have more than one copy of a dll file on your system? Personally, I'd rather have 40 copies of the same file on this system if it would make applications easier to manage, move, or delete.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2006, 02:42 PM

gary,

i dont know either. only thing i can think, since i've tried this with two versions of za now, is that i installed za with service pack two's firewall already up and running. it seemed to have no problems in doing this, but maybe it screwed something up internally. it didnt do this before on my old system, but there i didnt have sp2 when i installed za originally. dont really know; i'm just guessing here.

anyways, it seems to be acting ok now.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2006, 03:05 PM

ZA is supposed to switch off Windows Firewall off automatically, but I've seen too many things fail to do what they're supposed to, to be suprised anymore.

If you're wanting to secure your new box, try one of the HIPs programmes (Host Intrusion Protection Systems). I'm currently trying out the free version of System Safety Monitor http://syssafety.com/download/ssm-2.0-free.exe?pid=110 and I'm quite impressed.

Its run as well as a Firewall, not instead of.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 01:20 PM

racc, someohow i missed your post. yes, the registry probably seemed like a good idea at the time, but it's a real pain in the byte now. give me .ini files and .dlls any day.

gary, thanks for the file. i'm holding off installing anything else until i get some of this other sorted out first, though. sound is still low... gonna call the tech guy that did the install today and see if he knows what he did. and zone alarm is still a bit goofy. it denied itself access to its own server yesterday. lol. thankfully, that one didnt cut out the rest of the net. and when i play wolfenstein et it lets me play online but it pops up at the start telling me it blocked a couple of things. never had all this happen before. could it be because i'm currently running in stealth mode? i think i used to run za in medium, medium before. so, before, folks could see my computer but still be denied access, but stealth hides your computer (mostly) from view. still dont know. at least it's not blocking my net access now.

i think i've mentioned this before, but it's worth saying again, i hate windows.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware