RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

computer on the fritz

Old 08-22-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
racc, someohow i missed your post.
No worries. By the time I got around to posting it, the conversation had moved on, anyway.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 03:11 PM

I always run with Firewall settings at High for both Internet and Trusted Zone, you should not be having problems by running it in these settings.

I'm intrigued by how it came to block itself access to the internet. Of course strictly speaking a Firewall doesn't itself need access, except when looking for updates, or if an online help file is requested.

Still ZA doesn't normally show up in the Program list in Program Control, so I don't understand how it could be instructed to block. It could of course be added by using the add button and browsing to the ZA folder, but I can't see that being something you can do accidentally, so its not likely you'd forget if you'd done it.

I'd definitely hold out on trying SSM at the moment. It can appear a little complicated (its not, but it can seem so), but with your box in its current state it would complicate things massively when trying to trace faults. I would only ever install this on a system that I knew was stable and clean.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 03:40 PM

racc

gary, yeah, i'll look at it some more (za). for the moment, i can surf so not too worried about it.

ok, called the tech guy who set this computer up. told him about the sound problem. turns out my old speakers on the old e-machine werent the amplified kind. apparently that avance 97 onboard in the e-machine also had a small, built-in amplifier. the new one doesnt. so, the tech guy said, if you've got a pair of amplified speakers (the kind where you have to plug one of those ac converters in), try those. so, i did have a pair of those on my other machine and tried those. after a lot of fooling around with cords and settings and volume switches, it worked. and, it worked as well or better than the old system. nice strong volume now!

so, one more glitch solved. lol. ya ever get the feeling that you could have written your own o/s in all the time you've spent in trying to get windows working? ok, in all fairness to microsoft, windows xp is a big improvement over win98 (but maybe not win2k). i mean, it does work, it's more stable, it is faster in most cases (though, that might be more from hardware upgrades than windows upgrades), and it is a tiny bit more seamless and crashes less. my biggest gripe is with the sort of thing i've been going through and that they dont ever fix the current o/s in a big way (updates arent 'big'); they simply scrap the whole thing and write another beast that has to be learned and debugged. vista will likely never be put willingly on any machine i own, or least not until it's almost obsolete

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2006, 02:50 AM

Like all solutions, blindingly simple once its found. Never occurred to me to think about lack of on-board amplification, everything I've ever worked on always had it.

Ditto on Vista, can't think of any way it'll get on my box, unless its pre-installed on the next one (don't have any immediate plans on that front).

I'm in total agreement with your views on the M$ ethic of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. How do they ever expect to have a corps of people who are experienced with resolving problems on their OS's if they keep scrapping them every two minutes.

But of course fixing an existing OS doesn't bring in the $, whereas selling a new shiny, all singing and dancing, wonder OS to the gullible masses has always proven to be a gold mine for them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2006, 01:25 PM

gary,

yup. never occurred to me to think 'amplifier' either. i kept looking for a software solution, a switch, a setting, a driver, something along those lines sometimes you just have to plug the cord in to make the computer work

on the zone alarm stuff, i've had some more blocks. in the 'alerts and logs' tab, i've got two tcp entries, 1 udp, and about a dozen icmp types. i dont even know what icmp is.

the last entry was an outgoing tcp, source ip: 192.168.1.112:1204; destination ip: 208.185.174.66:80; direction: outgoing; action taken: blocked; count 1; source dns: custom1; destination dns: hs2.zonelabs.com . no clue why za would block za. lol. i'm guessing that if i put that address in the trusted zones area that it would then work, though. my guess is that all these outgoing being blocked would work if i put them in the trusted zones area. but again, just a guess based on what worked with the net stuff i managed to unblock.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2006, 03:24 PM

Presume you're using a router, as the source address is one typically used by routers. Destination checks out as ZoneLabs.

Only reason I can see ZA phoning home is to check for updates, but why its blocking itself is anyone's guess, I've never come across this type of behaviour before.

Is ZA showing in the Program Control list? If so, what are the settings for it?

Any other outgoing signals being blocked, if so which Programs are they, and are they in your Program Control list.

ICMP = Internet Control Message Protocol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...ssage_Protocol

A Ping is about the only tool commonly using ICMP . Traceroute also incorporates ICMP functionality within a UDP signal.

ZA has a user Forum http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten..._agreement.jsp

Probably the best place to seek answers.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 08-23-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2006, 10:28 PM

gary,

no separate router. using dsl modem.

'zone labs client' shows in the 'programs' section of za. but it shows nothing about za in the trusted 'zones' area.

ok, i just checked, that 192.168.1.112 is the nvidia internet networking controller -- packet scheduler miniport. entry type: adapter subnet. in other words, my nic. it's an onboard thing.

and yes, za did try to phone home once when it detected i was using an older version than is available at their site and i said no. but i didnt block it. i just didnt allow that particular time. now all the marks next to the za entry in programs are question marks.

the only other thing showing up being blocked is when i run wolfenstein et, which is in the programs entries, but it doesnt actually block ET. what happens when i run ET is it starts up and when it starts to check connections at startup i get the first icmp message. it's just a popup message. as ET initializes more stuff, i get another icmp, another popup. these dont require any attention other than to click 'ok'. and, ET does work regardless of these. i tried out ET today and got these same as before, two different popups, but there are 5 icmp log entries. these might be pings to check me for being a listed ET server. since i'm not running a server it may be why i can play ET just fine. but i'll bet if i tried to host nobody would see my machine. i do recall having to set up ports and settings before if i wanted to be a server. and that would fit with what you were saying about pings and tracerts using icmp.

and thanks for the za forum link. i'll start looking at things there and maybe post. currently, this isnt really annoying. and in fact, it's somewhat amusing watching za block itself. it seems to happen again about once a day

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2006, 02:18 AM

If you left click on the ZA icon in Program Control, you can set it to Allow(tick), Prompt(question Mark) or Block(cross). The same applies for any program. Perform for each Zone.

Or you can right click an item and remove it from the list. Then when the program next tries to go online you'll get the usual pop up window asking you what you want to do.

If your settings have somehow got mucked up, probably easiest to do the 2nd option and remove items from the list that are giving you problems, and set your options when they "pop up" again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2006, 01:13 PM

gary,

yes, za is in the program controls listing. they are all set to question mark for za, which is why it seemed strange that za wasnt asking for allow when i'd get the popup. it would just show the popup with an 'ok' telling me that it had been blocked. no prompt was asked for.

i can try removing and see what that does. also, it may want za in the 'trusted zone' and not just on the program controls.

it's no biggie at this point. just sort of odd.

thanks

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2006, 01:49 PM

You're welcome.

I've never seen ZA in the Program Control list, so to find it there is curious, but the fact it isn't prompting you when controls are set for it to do so is even more curious.

Afraid I don't have any further suggestions, except to say it may be worth uninstalling and re-installing once you've got your system running stable.

With something as tied into your system as a Firewall (all Firewalls load kernel mode drivers) any irregularities in your system may have unexpected side effects.

Good luck with it!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware