RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

computer on the fritz

Old 08-25-2006, 10:41 PM

well, i'm beginning to believe this machine is either cursed or haunted or both. tonight, while watching my favorite friday night line-up on t.v. i heard windows suddenly start up. i tend to leave the computer on when i'm at home even if i'm not using it. so, i walked over to the computer and sure enough, it had rebooted itself. ok, that's odd. there werent any strange popups or weird messages anywhere but all sorts of thoughts are now running through my head...viruses, a truly jinxed motherboard, someone hacked my computer....i didnt know. well, my friday night shows were still on so i left the computer running and about an hour later i heard windows start up again! ok, this is getting spooky. what in the world?? so, i walk over to the computer again and sure enough, it's rebooted itself.

now, this time i happened to notice the time and it was almost exactly an hour from the time of the last automatic reboot. i contemplated this for a bit and the only thing i have set for anything automatic is my screensaver. and, since i had decided to try out a different screensaver on this machine, i decided that might be it. so, i let the computer sit for another hour with no external activity from me. after an hour and 10 minutes i gave up. it didnt reboot. cute.

but, just to kind of be on the relatively safe side, i changed the screensaver back to one i'd use on the other machine. both screensavers were ones included with the installation of windows and not something i'd downloaded or anything. i may have to turn on some log files and see if i cant trace some of this oddball activity.

anyone got a commodore 64 they want to sell me?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2006, 02:20 AM

When you say Boot Up, do you mean your box was powered down, and switched itself on and did a full boot, or you had just logged off, and it logged you back on?

Or was it that you were still logged on, and your computer started to perform an operation? Windows does perform housekeeping activities if it is switched on and inactive for any long period of time.

To speed up your boot time, Windows creates a prefetcher, and it will edit this and defrag part of your disk to fit this prefetcher in, so the files are in contiguous areas of the disk and it can run faster. It does this about every 3 days if your computer is left inactive (I believe the computer has to be inactive for about an hour before it does this), if you touched anything on your computer, it would immediately stop the process in order to process your requests. If you then left it again, it would resume the defrag after it had been inactive for a further hour.

If it is the third occurrance it is nothing to worry about, however if it is either of the first two, then it needs investigating.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 08-26-2006 at 02:41 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2006, 10:12 AM

gary, the machine was up and running and i was logged in. it simply, with no input from me, rebooted itself. i had been away from the keyboard for over an hour when the first one occurred. and then it occurred again after another hour, almost to the second. i have never seen windows log itself off and reboot the machine all on it's own like this unless a drive was about to go completely bad.

also, my screensaver doesnt seem to work. i had it on that drawing pipes thing and it never drew pipes. it's just a black screen every time it goes to that mode. i changed it to that flying windows one now but havent had a chance to see if it will go to that yet. i think i'll check that profile (if there is one) that does all the screensavers and energy saving sometime today. i've had trouble with those in the past on other machines.

in addition to all this, i've now had another strange occurrence. i was loading filter forge yesterday and happened to stomp on the floor rarther hard (dont ask ) and the machine locked up immediately. it went immediately from the desktop view to a sort of solid, almost black, sort of greenish tinted screen with the harddrive light staying on but nothing happening. filter forge would not load, i couldnt see the desktop any more and i had to shut everything off. i waited a good 30 seconds or more and turned the machine back on and all was fine. i didnt even get a chkdsk come up. filter forge ran fine after that and there was no apparent record that anything odd had occurred. and yes, this is a crt type monitor. and yes, it's quite an old monitor, older than my old e-machine machine. so the stomp on the floor could have done something to an aging electron gun. i'll try to refrain from that sort of thing in the future. it could also be an indication of a loose connection somewhere, either computer or monitor. i'll have a look at this also.

oh, and how do you get rid of that 'windows security monitor' in the systray? i really dont want these annoying popups about 'my computer might be at risk because i've turned off automatic updates'.

and, how do you turn off 'windows messenger'. i remember doing this once and you had to not only uninstall the thing but also something else as i recall.

sorry to be such a pain. i shld really know some of this stuff. but when i only do this every 3 to 5 years, i tend to forget. also, if you know of a REALLY good windows xp manual/book that goes into windows in detail and how to tweak, fix and generally live with xp, i'd be obliged.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2006, 11:52 AM

Certainly sounds like some sort of dodgy connection, or dry solder joint to make your monitor black out llike that, particularly with all the new build you've been doing lately.

Gonna have to think a bit about the re-boots, not come across that before.

OK, to stop the Windows security pop-ups, do the following.
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Security Centre
  • On the left hand side click on Change the way Windows Security Centre Alerts Me
  • Uncheck Automatic Updates then click OK
  • Exit out of Security Centre

To stop Windows Messenger starting do the following.
  • Start Windows Messenger
  • Click Tools > Options > Preferences
  • Uncheck Run Windows Messenger when Windows Starts
  • Uncheck Allow Windows messenger to run in the background
  • Click OK
  • Exit Windows Messenger.

Thats enough to ensure you'll never see it again, if you want to totally remove it from your box let me know and I'll post instructions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2006, 12:08 PM

gary,

thanks. turned messenger off. heh, that was too easy. we used to wipe it off the disk somehow. i forget now how, but it was one of those things that when you loaded outlook express, even if you'd turned messenger off and even if you'd told outlook not to load it and even if you'd taken it out of your startup, it would load it anyways. it was one of those things one never uses but windows insisted in having in the systray for some odd reason. anyways, it seems gone now

did the thing with the alert center too. thanks

dont worry about the lockup. i normally dont go around stomping on the floor. the monitor is an NEC multisync 75 and if it is going bad, i'd rather not know about it at this point next time i turn off the machine i'll check some of the inner connections to ports and drives and so on. i do recall when setting this thing up that one power connection on a drive was unusually loose. could just be that. normally those connectors are like stakes in hardwood and almost take a prybar to disconnect so it caught my attention at the time. i'll check it again.

also, since i've lost a lot of my old links ( i did get the ones for i.e. back, btw, but not mozilla yet), if you've got some hot sites for this sort of stuff, i'd appreciate it. i recall blackviper and tom's hardware, but that's about it.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2006, 03:30 PM

These are useful sites for solutions to Windows problems.

Doug Knox Loads of good stuff here.
Kelly's Korner Excellent for all things XP.
Sandi's Site Some good links here, but you've gotta dig a little.
Ramesh's Site One of the best.

Hardware and General PC stuff

PC Answers

These forums are good for hardware advice.

PC Pitstop
Virtual Dr.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Patron

Used most of them Gary.

Also, you all might try Axcel216's website (well it use to be named as such, but now it's mdgx): http://www.mdgx.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2006, 08:34 AM

thanks guys! i've started looking through these.

here's another archive of the blackviper site: http://web.archive.org/web/200411230...com/index.html this one is without all the advertising on some of the others.

also, anyone know how to find and restore or retrieve to i.e. your favorites list from mozilla's web browser?

i also managed to destroy my c: drive. ah, the joys of playing with things you dont really understand. my own fault. thankfully, windows xp managed to restore it with a chkdsk. i basically just make the c: drive unreadable/corrupt by playing around with 'RECYCLER' on the c: drive. since the SID was now different, being that i've got a new SID (security identification) from the one that used to exist, i managed to totally corrupt the drive. sometimes you probably just shldnt 'push the button to see what happens'. lol.

i've also found another culprit that seems to have been making the system unstable. it seems the power usage settings, those things that want to turn off your drives and monitor after a while, have been at least partially responsible for those odd automatic reboots. i've now just turned them off and things seem a bit better.

still lots of things to add back and still lots of housekeeping and clean up to do but mostly getting better

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Patron

Yup; the number one cause for computer problems is end users. lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2006, 09:40 AM

To import settings from another browser into Internet Explorer, do the following.
  • Open IE.
  • Click on File > Import and Export
  • A Wizard will open, click Next
  • Highlight Import Favorites and click Next.
  • Browse to location where you have Mozilla bookmarks. then click Next
  • Select where you want to Import them to, then click Next
  • Click Finish to complete the Import.

To create a file of your Bookmarks from Firefox (not sure if this is the Mozilla browser you're using).
  • Open Firefox.
  • Click Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks.
  • Click File > Export.
  • Save the file bookmarks.html created by Firefox, to a location where you can find it.
  • Exit out of Bookmarks Manager
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware