RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

computer on the fritz

Old 08-28-2006, 06:49 PM

thanks, gary.

what i'll eventually be doing is putting mozilla back on the computer in working order. but i dont know how mozilla stores its favorites list ... or where, for that matter. it's probably in documents and settings somewhere and i'll look around and have looked around a bit so far, but nothing obvious yet.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2006, 01:28 AM

For Firefox, the bookmarks are kept in this location (its a html file)

C:\Documents and Settings\(User Name)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\8d7o2jco.default\bookmarks.html

Where user name = the name of the account that is being used
8d702jco.default = will be a number specific to your installation

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 08-29-2006 at 01:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2006, 02:24 PM

oh cool! that worked nicely! thank you! i guess i was looking for something other than an .html file. got em!

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2006, 04:27 PM

You're welcome, glad it helped.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2006, 01:08 PM

Re: computer on the fritz

ok, an update here on ye olde computer. it's working pretty well now. i still get the occaisional blue screen crash, but not many.

i've swapped out my memory and added 2 gigs of pc 3200, dual channel ram. that's gonna help a LOT.

i'm still adding back software and hardware bit by bit and that's going well also.

but here's a new question. i decided to turn the cpu speed up. the defaults were 200 cpu frequency and 100 clock speed. this is an AMD 3500 processor. so, i thought, what the heck, let's turn the cpu frequency up to 300 and see what happens. not good. when i left saved and exited bios, i got an overclock warning and that i shld hit delete to re-enter bios. i hit delete and it wouldnt enter bios. in fact, it started looping the reboot. the overclock warning would stay on the screen for x amount of seconds and then the system would reboot and come up with the same thing. this is the black screen with white text, the first screen you see when you first boot up. that was a bit disconcerting and i was afraid i was going to have to do a manual reset of the bios.

what i did do was, after this rebooting didnt seem to want to correct itself in any way, was to simply shut the power off and let it sit for 30 seconds. this sometimes clears these things. and, sure enough, when i powered back up, i no longer got the same overclock warning and it acted like it was going to go ahead and boot up. but, i had also hit the delete key again hoping to beat the overclock warning if it came up. so, i was now back in bios and being afraid i was going to lock the system up, i set the cpu frequency back to 200, saved and exited and all was well again.

so, the question here is, how i can turn the cpu speed up if it's going to whine about overclocking and simply loop the reboot cycle?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2006, 01:59 PM

I'm not an expert, but I do know that there's a lot more to overclocking than just turning up the CPU speed... there's memory speed, bus speed, video card speed, etc. All these things sould be coordinated together. It's not for the faint of heart.

Also, the basic rule when increasing any of these speed/clock values is BABY STEPS. You went from 200 to 300. What you should do is turn it up just a tiny bit and see if everything boots and is stable. Sometimes you have leave the system run a while to see if heat or other processes affect stability and performance. Once you're sure everythings still working as it should, take another baby step. After some time, you'll eventually find the "sweet spot..." the highest you can safely set it.

Also, the more you overclock the system, the more cooling you will need to fight off the additional heat. I once saw on TV where they overclocked a 2GHz machine (state of the art, then) to over 4GHz and using liquid nitrogen to keep it cool enough.

And again, don't forget about all the other areas mentioned above that will be affected by the overclocking.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2006, 02:40 PM

thanks, racc. yes, i think i saw that same show about turning a 2 ghz machine into a 4 and using the liquid nitrogen. wild.

it's not a big deal either. my machine is handling everything i need to. but, i was curious if it would take it ok. i like the baby steps idea. and i do know about things running hotter when you overclock. what i dont know is things like vcore voltages and such. when would you need to turn those up? and that may be why the machine was balking at the 300 vs 200. perhaps it wanted something else turned up to compensate.

there is a separte setting in there for increasing video speeds as well. it has the default, a fast and a turbo setting listed. and, there are some other adjustables in that same bios page which i dont even know what they are. i suppose a little research on those might be in order also.

for now, i'll just leave it at 200. like i say, the machine is working pretty well. so maybe dont fix it if it aint broke might be the best philosophy here

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2006, 05:30 PM

Another thing to consider.

How is your PSU coping with the extra heat generated by overclocking?

Not only does the heat affect your CPU, but it will also affect the current demand on your PSU, (hotter components have less resistance, less resistance = greater current flow) and if can't be accomodated then the O/P voltages of your PSU will vary, and then you're into all kinds of fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2006, 09:43 PM

gary, good point.

what is O/P ?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Patron

Advice from a former Power Electronics Design EE.

Hey Craig,

I'm not a fan at all of overclocking, but if you are going to overclock, then make sure you have a hefty PS and a good cooling system. Ventilation/heat transfer is very important too (would give you some equations, but I'm very rusty now; lol). Also, take advantage of any CPU cooler software that might be available for XP (I did play with overclocking on my old Win98 machine and used a software program that would turn off the CPU during no activity periods keeping the CPU cool; worked quite well with no performance hits). A better solution (and one that would probably save your current system) is to just be happy with what came with your system (I know AMDs and ASUS MB's have the reputation to be used for overclocking, but I'm now in the PC repair business and can say that if a MB for AMD becomes defective, it can take out the CPU and vice versa; don't know if your system is AMD, but I wouldn't push a Pentium class CPU either). If you really need the speed, Intel promised the Quad Core by November (if you have some dough that is) and an 80 Core processor (and I mean 80) within 10 years (since the current XP Pro can only support 4 CPU's as I recall, I guess Vista or it's offspring will be able to take advance of the mass parallel system (yes, I did my Senior Design project on Parallel Processing; so how did I become a power electronics engineer? lol). I'll believe it when I see it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware