Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Camera with less noise?

Old 08-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Camera with less noise?

Hello all

I have a camera Casio Z-50, that I bought one year ago when i travelled to Miami. I had chose for the small size, but I didn't like, because the images have many noises, mainly jpeg artifacts. I'm not a professional photographer, i'm only looking for another small camera with better quality, that have less noise. I'm trying to find, but it's very hard, does anybody know about some?
I need an advice, please.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2006, 08:56 AM
panasonic LX2

i don't know how much you want to spend, but this is a camera that has some great features for the price...($500) 10 mpxl......jpeg & RAW format (RAW will definitely decrease the noise amount)....image stabilizer it uses a Leica lens which is always nice.....and it's a nice compact point & shoot with automatic and manual functions and all that other good stuff! I cant wait to get it! comes out in sept!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Here is a link to a review (sorry, it's in English ) on the camera you currently own --

Steve's review shows that your camera can take good photos in good light with little noise, but does have noise at ISO400 or above (as all small digital cameras do). One important thing to do when buying a camera is to know what kinds of pictures you will take most of the time -- will you be outdoors in the daylight taking pictures of people, landscape, buildings? Or will you be inside your home or friends' home with less light for the camera to use. Do you take more pictures of people and things near you (small compact camera is fine) or pictures of animals in the wild or in a zoo that are far away from you? (Need a longer lens or zoom lens from near to far). Can you use ISO 100 to take most of your pictures, or will you need flash or higher ISO to take the pictures that you want? There is more noise at higher ISO settings in digital cameras -- a SLR camera with detachable lenses will show much less noise at higher ISO than will a small camera (with a small sensor inside it), and camera makers are using more noise reduction in their small cameras to reduce the look of the noise -- some brands are more successful (right now) at reducing the noise and still keeping enough detail in the picture to make peope happy -- some people would rather process their pictures themselves to reduce the noise and keep as much of the picture detail as possible, and other people do not want to take time to work on the photo and want the camera to do the work as much as possible -- which type are you?

Your camera may still work well for you -- it may just need you to use low ISO of 100 and shoot pictures in good light. If you need to get another camera, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Fuji and others offer a long list of cameras to choose from. If you have some time, you can visit a website with LOTS of information (mostly in English, sorry) about all the different cameras --

I know a lot of information is confusing, but the cameras just keep getting better each year, so taking a little time to decide doesn't hurt -- you may end up getting a better camera if you wait a little. If you have any questions about anything I've written, feel free to ask!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2006, 08:51 PM
less noise

Hi friends, thank you for the answers!

My Casio EX-Z50 is really the winner of noise, jpeg artifacts and blurring images. I hate noise in portraits, but landscapes is easier to retouch.
I like the panasonic Lx1/2 and fx01/07, but I had read all reviews in dpreview site and others that noise was a big issue with these models. Fuji F30 seams to be the camera with less noise, the best for low light, but not so good for daylight and need xdcards.
Really I don't know what camera i should choose!

Sorry for my bad english...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2006, 03:34 AM
Less noise camera.

Hi Rari,
I've found the Fuji's and newer Canons best at noise supression in the prosumer category of camera you talk about. Keeping the ISO low and the aperture wide (lower number) will also help. Noise in digital is down to low signal (light) being overcome by noise in camera circuits, and even things like pixel bleed. At high ISO the sensor is set to be much more sensitive to signals (and thus noise). SO keeping ISO low is a big factor in reducing noise.
Hope this helps,
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware