RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Questions about Spyder, Hood, Printer/Scanner and Monitors

Old 10-28-2006, 10:29 AM

Re: Questions about Spyder, Hood, Printer/Scanner and Monitors

rnbluvva,

I had lots of problems with the color on my older Dell 21" LCD. I'd colorize an older photo and it looked fine on the monitor but it wasn't what came back from the digital lab, there was a noticeable difference especially in skin tones.

I bought Spyder Xpress and it has made quite a difference. Now what I see on the monitor is what I get back from the print lab or at-least close enough that I can't tell the difference.

Just make sure you run the adjustments in the same lighting you work in and you should have no problems.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2006, 01:32 PM

Geru,

Thanks for the info on the Spyder Express. I'm looking at the Spyder2 system at the moment for both printer and screen callibration.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2006, 07:46 PM

I have had the original spyder and now have the Gretagmacbeth iOne and I must admit the later is so much better, and with two graphics cards it happily calibrates my two screens independenly(sp?)

my the spyder is better then no calibration!

Henrik
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2006, 09:49 PM

The Spyder2 is considerably better than the original Spyder and competes favorably with the Eye-One Display 2. The original Spyder isn't in the same league.

The eye-one display 2 has a better gradation and smoothness in the highlight range, but the Spyder2 does better in the shadow range. Both are excellant in the midtones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2006, 03:17 AM

I am going to go for a Spyder2 System for now. The Gretag MacBeth systems are out of my budget range for now, but I will look into upgrading if my demand for actual prints increases.

I am hoping to get the Spyder2 in the next few months. I see some dealers on eBay that have pretty good deals as compared to the Colorvision site prices. I will see where I can get the best deal, but not sacrafice on the customer service end.

Thanks to everyone!

I am going to be getting the equipment very soon and will let you know how I fare. I decided to upgrade my computer system as well.

Anyone have suggestions for a good Graphics Card?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2006, 12:59 PM

Thumbs down Made Some Purchases!

Alrighty... I've gone out these past few days and ordered quite a bit of new stuff.

I decided a new computer was in order as this old 550mHz PII system is well, er, an archaic beast.... (to be kind!).

Here is the rundown so far:

System:
Motherboard: ASUS M2NPV-VM
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Socket Type/FSB/Cache: AM2 / 2000 / 512k x2
RAM: 1GB (I'll probably upgrade that later on) DDR2 - 667
Hard Drive 1 (for OS): Western Digital 40GB ATA100 / 7200
Hard Drive 2 (for files and scratch disk): Western Digital 250GB SATA300 / 7200
Case: Coolermaster Centurion w 430W power supply
Graphics Card: ASUS EAX1600 PO 512MB PCX
Optical Drive: Samsung 18x DVD R/W

Monitor:
ViewSonic VP920b 19" Monitor
I ended up getting this one over the VP930b as I read a few bad reviews about PerfectSuite and wanted to avoid problems. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of difference in the two monitors.

Color Management:
Spyder2 Suite

I am waiting a bit to purchase the Scanner and Printer, but I have decided to go with the following products:

Scanner:
Epson Perfection 4490

Printer:
HP OfficeJet Pro K550dtn

I don't have anything yet, just bought it... so it should all arrive in the next week and a bit. I have the task of transferring 6 years of files over to the new system and I am sure it will take some time to tweak things, so I will report back.

If anyone has ever used the Windows XP file slurper feature, I'd be interested in knowing how it went. Someone told me to just network the new and old computers together and "share" the folders on my old system to dump everything over.... anyone familiar with this?

Thanks for all your help with gear recommendations!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2006, 02:12 PM

natalie,

networking is a good way to go, especially if it's an xp machine to an xpmachine. you can do this two ways, (that i know of). one is through a router (wireless or wire) and the other is with what's called a cross-over cable. i've never used the cross-over cable, so not sure exactly what's involved there. i've also never networked two xp machines. i did mine with xp to win98 with the xp machine as the host. worked fine but takes some more setting up than xp to xp, or so i understand.

the biggest caveat to what you're trying to do is the registry. your applications installed on your old machine cant just be directly transferred over. the registry on the new machine wont have the links/hooks/pathways/locations to run them. and trying to figure out all the old registry stuff from one app and putting that into the new registry is a headache i wouldnt want. some apps may be ok, since not all apps place entries in the registry, but those that do you'll probably need to re-install on the new machine.

data files are fine. those can be transferred directly and dont need registry links. these include images, saved word files, saved game files and things of that nature. but things like photoshop will have to be re-installed newly on the new machine. settings for browsers can be imported across the network. same with email. and stored emails will be fine.

even if you were to make a complete image file of the old machine, you most likely wouldnt be able to restore it on the new machine. each machine has its own internal code and a 'hardware layer' which is used to identify it and all of that is read by the registry or is even part of the registry. so, an iso (image of a file or system) taken from one machine may not work on another, unless it can rewrite the hooks into the new registry and be identified by the hardware layer. it's kind of messy and a lot of the reason for all this is anti-piracy.

you'll probably also have to buy a 2nd version of windows xp for the new machine. microsoft is pretty snotty about this. each machine is supposed to have its own separate windows install, even if you already own a legitimate copy of windows xp. and, there are protections built into xp to ensure all this.

i dont follow all the hardware stuff any more, but Asus is a good motherboard. i've used them for years and they are good about doing updates like flashing the bios and so on. the cpu looks good. a touch faster than mine. ( i have the amd 3500).

the asus vid card is probably an ati or nvidia that asus put their name on, so that's probably fine too. just be aware that you'll probably want to upgrade the drivers as soon as you have things up and running. the drivers that come with the card are usually outdated by the time anyone buys them.

dont know about the scanner or printer. good that you are getting separate units, though. combo devices are notoriously bad in one part or another.... or maybe 'barely acceptable' would be a better way of putting it.

the harddrives look fine. you could have gone sata II on the 2nd one, but it's really not much of a real world performance boost to do so.

430 watts on the power supply is plenty for all but the really power hungry users, so that looks fine.

not familiar with the monitor. i always try to buy crt types and NEC if i can find them. NEC, in my limited experience, makes the best, most reliable, longest lasting, and easy to view monitors in the world. but the move is away from crt types, so it's up to you.

never used hardware calibration. my current NEC monitor seems to be pretty spot-on from all i can tell from the software charts and easy to adjust if it gets a bit out of whack. so, to me, hardware calibration is a bit of a 'bit twiddling' for the person who just MUST know that every pixel is being displayed EXACTLY correctly, down to the 100th of a pixel. and i just dont need that much nit-picking. still, if you're working commercially, it's probably a good idea. a little certainty on quality control can go a long ways to settling the nerves.

the gig of ram is ok. i'd certainly recommend the more the merrier. i currently have 2 gig and my machine can handle 4. and every once in a while i do feel the pinch on ram and that's just with working with image files and image applications.

it's good to see you around more these days. hope the music is going well and that your new rig works out fine
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2006, 11:51 PM

Re: Made Some Purchases!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbluvva
Alrighty... I've gone out these past few days and ordered quite a bit of new stuff.

I decided a new computer was in order as this old 550mHz PII system is well, er, an archaic beast.... (to be kind!).

Here is the rundown so far:

System:
Motherboard: ASUS M2NPV-VM
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Socket Type/FSB/Cache: AM2 / 2000 / 512k x2
RAM: 1GB (I'll probably upgrade that later on) DDR2 - 667
Hard Drive 1 (for OS): Western Digital 40GB ATA100 / 7200
Hard Drive 2 (for files and scratch disk): Western Digital 250GB SATA300 / 7200
Case: Coolermaster Centurion w 430W power supply
Graphics Card: ASUS EAX1600 PO 512MB PCX
Optical Drive: Samsung 18x DVD R/W

Monitor:
ViewSonic VP920b 19" Monitor
I ended up getting this one over the VP930b as I read a few bad reviews about PerfectSuite and wanted to avoid problems. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of difference in the two monitors.

Color Management:
Spyder2 Suite

I am waiting a bit to purchase the Scanner and Printer, but I have decided to go with the following products:

Scanner:
Epson Perfection 4490

Printer:
HP OfficeJet Pro K550dtn

I don't have anything yet, just bought it... so it should all arrive in the next week and a bit. I have the task of transferring 6 years of files over to the new system and I am sure it will take some time to tweak things, so I will report back.

If anyone has ever used the Windows XP file slurper feature, I'd be interested in knowing how it went. Someone told me to just network the new and old computers together and "share" the folders on my old system to dump everything over.... anyone familiar with this?

Thanks for all your help with gear recommendations!

Hi Again

If you are buying new stuff here, then the harddrives should be SATA drives and not ATA-100, they are slow compared to the newer SATA.

As for transfering then you can hook the two machines up with a cross-over cable as mentioned above. depending on how much data you have, this will take some time even over Gigabit network.

I don;t know what your plan is with the old machine, but if you keep it, you can use it as your print server and/or frontend internet machine and hook them both up to a router/switch and you can also use it to have a backup available to you.

Remember you still need to reinstall all your application to your new machine.

later if you feel the need, you can upgrade your harddrives and create Raid-0 (two disk stripped) for your scratch disk and Raid-1 for your data (two disk mirror, this has redundency)

congrats on your new system!

Henrik

PS: get your spyder before printer and scanner!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2006, 01:48 PM

Talking Re: Questions about Spyder, Hood, Printer/Scanner and Monitors

Craig!

Thanks for all your feedback!

I found out that the way to easily transfer the files (not programs and settings) is to use a port on my Router via ethernet cable and 'share' the folders on my old system and slurp them over to the new one. I'm going XP Home to XP Home. I got a new copy of XP installed on the OS Hard Drive.

I have to, of course, reinstall all the software I had on the old system to the new one and of course transfer the activations and such. I am sure it will take me a bit to do it all! The system is ready today and I hope to pick it up this evening.

I went for only 1GB RAM for now due to my budget, but I will upgrade this soon. I think I can go to 4GB at some point, but I won't do this till I have Vista as XP can only access 2GB max anyway. But I am waiting on Vista for about a year post release as the way these OS updates go, they won't have most of the major bugs worked out for a year at least

I am doing a huge upgrade as my old system is only 256MB RAM and a very old PII 550Mhz processor, so I imagine what I have now will be pretty smokin' compared to what I am used to!

Yeah the ASUS card is powered by the ATI Radeon Processor
http://shopper.cnet.com/Asus_Extreme...-31688182.html

The drive was what came with the package I got, and from the research I did, it's a decent one for the price. I can always upgrade later on if I need to and swap the drive out for a new one.

The monitor I did a fair bit of research on and it's a great one for crispness. The ViewSonic Pro line is what a few people who do image retouching recommended... I went into a store and saw them before I bought mine at NewEgg.com and I really loved what I saw. I will let you know how I do with it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Spyder2 does for me. I've only used Adobe Gamma and never a calibration device, so we shall see how this does in the scheme of things for output. I've only had a few major color surprises in the past. But anything that can give me a more accurate idea of output is welcome!

Thanks for asking about the music. Working on material and wrapping up for hopefully an April release. Just have to get the marketing stuff together and pick the final songs for the release.

I am glad to have the chance to be around more these days. I think I am going to be home for a while with no outside projects that will take me away from my computer, so that is actually very nice and I will take all the time I can to work on improving my retouching skills. I am really falling in love with this kind of work!

Take care!

Last edited by rnbluvva; 11-13-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2006, 01:56 PM

Re: Made Some Purchases!

Hi Henrik,

I got a 250GB SATA300 drive for files and programs. I got the less expensive ATA-100 40GB drive for the Operating System only (Windows XP Home). I wanted to separate the OS drive and file/program drive out.

I have about 50GB of files on the drive that I want to transfer over. I anticipate it will take a few days, but have no idea really as I've never done this before.

I definitely am keeping the old machine for a back up machine. Using it as a print sever is a great idea though. I'm going to have the two systems attached to the router I currently have.

I am not very familiar with RAID. Is there somewhere that explains what you are talking about more?

I got my Spyder2 and it is on the way. I will get the printer and scanner in the next few months.

I'm very excited about having a much more powerful system and I can't wait to get it all organized so I can be faster with my work!

Thanks for your input!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware