RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

WTB: Negative carrier for 616 format

Old 10-30-2006, 05:46 AM

Exclamation WTB: Negative carrier for 616 format

I have alot of negatives from the 20's-40s in one of those odd Kodak formats called 616. They are 2 1/2" W x 4 1/4 L! I want to find a negative carrier that I can convert for use on my scanner.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 11:44 AM

Re: WTB: Negative carrier for 616 format

Try going here to post your inquiry. http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetc...id=00Fxs9&tag=

Or just try a Google search for "616 negative format." I came up with a lot of stuff.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dog
I have alot of negatives from the 20's-40s in one of those odd Kodak formats called 616. They are 2 1/2" W x 4 1/4 L! I want to find a negative carrier that I can convert for use on my scanner.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 12:30 PM

hi,
as far as the 616 format... well that more less designate what the size of the negatives... and it was used in certain cameras. and in you case you already know the size... here a history of the format http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/616_film

now what I don't understand is the word "carrier" I think you mean a template to hold the negative steady while it scans ...

Now i don't know what options you have, since i don't know what scanner you have. some flatbed scanners can scan that negative size even if yo don't have a template.... depending on how it done in your scanner... either you can just loosely put it in or make your own template...!!

I had to do that with mine... the negative film scanner part is located in the lid of my flatbed and I had some 16mm film but the holder/template designed for 35mm film negative... so i just made my own holder/template.

let me know if i am interpreting your post correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dog
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 02:30 PM

A carrier is darkroom term.....i wouldn't use a metal carrier for your scanner.

If you really can't find anything, you can easily make your own out of thin, black cardboard. If you can't find black you can always spray paint it. We used to do this in the darkroom I worked at for "half frame" negs...which we would rarely get.

Also check out craigslist.org, they will often times have tons of stuff for sale for darkrooms.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 02:38 PM

hi,
thank you... i didn't know.... that what i like about boards always learning something new.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo678
A carrier is darkroom term.....i wouldn't use a metal carrier for your scanner.

If you really can't find anything, you can easily make your own out of thin, black cardboard. If you can't find black you can always spray paint it. We used to do this in the darkroom I worked at for "half frame" negs...which we would rarely get.

Also check out craigslist.org, they will often times have tons of stuff for sale for darkrooms.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2006, 05:54 PM

Re: Just to Rap-up The 616 Format Question

Just in case anyone is subscribribed to my question........ I've found out more.

First, Kodak doesn't know anything! They said that they turned-over all that info to the museum. The museum will not respond to questions of this ilk, and believe me I tried many times. I finally found a guy that makes odd carriers as a hobby/business - must be a business becasue I couldn't afford his custom solution - but what he said rang true with some knowledgable antique camera people that I talked to. The x16 series of films where huge negatives, a 616 was 2 3/4 x 4 1/2! and were marketed to people that wanted "contact prints". Indeed, I have many contact prints in my collection. The "ONLY" way to get an a enlargement was to take the negative to a "Professional Kodak Film Studio". Apparently, the negative carriers were not publically available which explains why I cannot find one.

My most knowledgable source said that it would probably be easier for me to make my own negative carrier for my scanner rather than looking endlessly for an enlarger negative carrier to adopt for my needs. He also offered that during the 20-30's Kodak maintained 24 different format offerings, apparently in the belief that it was a good marketing strategy. I would say that history says they were wrong.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2006, 07:10 PM

Thumbs down Re: WTB: Negative carrier for 616 format

Hi

contact Doug Fisher http://www.betterscanning.com/

he makes things like this

regards

Henrik
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware