RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Advertise Here

Good Graphics Cards for DTP/Retouch/Design

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2006, 02:21 AM

Question Good Graphics Cards for DTP/Retouch/Design

I just thought I would start a new thread about what Graphics Cards people are using out there. I am going to be getting a new computer in the next few weeks and want to get a good graphics card. I am not looking to spend a fortune, but a mid-priced one that can handle dual monitor display is what I am after.

I am mainly doing Photo restoration and retouch work along with some desktop publishing, graphic design and digital art.

Any suggestions?

Merci!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:27 PM

Re: Good Graphics Cards for DTP/Retouch/Design

hi natalie,

if you're going for a new computer, then you'll want a pci-e card (and a pci-e compatible motherboard). that's pretty much where the industry is going. they are faster than agp and have all the new shader technology and so on built in. i'd also recommend getting one with at least 256 megs of onboard memory. photoshop and the files you load can eat memory in short order. so, the more is always better.

as for specific recommendations, i'm really not qualified these days. i've been out of the whole techie thing for a while now. you might try some place like 'Tom's Hardware'. they shld have plenty of reviews on hardware. you're going to run into terms like 'sli' and others. sli is basically two video cards linked together with another processor/controller. great for games, but you dont really need it for photoshopping. one pci-e card shld suffice. as for dual monitors, again, you'll have to check the specs on the individual cards.

you might also try sites like http://www.resellerratings.com/ . these places compare prices and give some reviews and user feedback. http://www.newegg.com might also be a good place to check prices. havent been there in a while but they are a reputable online store.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:55 PM

Re: Good Graphics Cards for DTP/Retouch/Design

Whenever I needed a good replacement card, I always looked for the top of the line from the previous year. That way I'm getting a very good card that is not such "cutting edge" that I might have problems with unstable drivers.

Since it is no longer the "latest and greatest", the prices tend to be much more reasonable. Many times selling for half what the original price was at the time of release.

For vendors, I stick with ATI or NVIDIA. They tend to have mainstream, high performance cards with very stable drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbluvva
I just thought I would start a new thread about what Graphics Cards people are using out there. I am going to be getting a new computer in the next few weeks and want to get a good graphics card. I am not looking to spend a fortune, but a mid-priced one that can handle dual monitor display is what I am after.

I am mainly doing Photo restoration and retouch work along with some desktop publishing, graphic design and digital art.

Any suggestions?

Merci!