RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Gary - anybody - help please?

Old 11-22-2006, 04:53 PM

Re: Gary - anybody - help please?

hi,
it sort of starting to look like that windows defender maybe the major culprit.

windows defender is designed to start at windows boot, it is a antispyware type program.!!

Normally you shouldn't have that many yellow triangles for any given day and since in this case they all deal with windows defender that strong case that is the culprit...

now the causes, could be one or several win defender files are corrupted or that section of the registry (dealing with defender) is corrupted, oooorrrr since you have penicillin and it sounds like it also run a antispyware scan.... could be a major conflict between the two!! ... so the very least I would do is either deactivate windows defender to where it not supposed to startup at boot or uninstall it...!! and then see if that helps your problem.!!

on the event id.... not really sure about it nor am savy about it.. smile however it sounds to me at first there was some sort of interruption with your isp and your system had a problem getting the address..... now i went and did some searching and i found this ink... look a the comments section...
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?e...e=Dhcp&phase=1

now also I am thinking that maybe this issues is being caused by your other issues with windows defender... or possibly another program

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STLITE
Thank you everybody. I was working as you all were posting with trying to do what I can to figure this out. I don't need a defrag, automatic restarts was turned on, so I turned it off, no viruses or spyware that I can find, although all I have run has been Pc-Cillin's virus and spyware scans, ran the cleanmgr (got rid of some crap, no change in performance)

I got no error reporting or pop-ups when the computer restarted at all, which is why it freaked me out so bad (along with the running slow thing). I have had it crash on occasion, and it was always something that Microsoft would pop up telling me it was some driver or another, and get updated, etc. Nothing like that this time.

In the event viewer, I have a crap load of stuff, but mostly just little blue i's in a balloon. There are quite a few yellow triangles with exclamation points in them. Most of them say they are from WinDefend. Which says something, to me at least, because I thought that was a program that started when Windows started, and it seems like there used to be an icon in the little task bar, but a good while back that icon disappeared. Every now and again, my computer will start to run like crazy, and it is always that program eating up every bit of power. I will cancel it and restart and usually take care of that - should I just do in and delete that program? Is that ok to do, or is that come junk that MS is requiring now?

There is an error on there from the 21st, Source:dhcp EventID:1000
Hmm- looking back there is one of them every day at least back to the 5th. Any idea what that's about? If I am understanding it right it is something to do with my internet connection, says it lost the lease to it's IP address.

Still, no error at the time of the crash.

I hope none of this sounds too dumb to any of you. I can usually figure stuff out myself, but I don't claim to know too much about this stuff. Hope I don't sound like an idiot.

Where do I go form here, besides backing everything up?
Also, could it be the external drive that is the problem? Or when you say drive going bad you are pretty much talking about the internal hard drive, right?

Thanks again, everyone!!
Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 04:58 PM

Yeah, I am really thinking it is WinDefend too. Been wondering what was going on with that but too busy to look into it.

Odd thing is, it is not listed in msconfig in startup. Not it or anything like or about it. I went to that site listing the stuff in startup, and nothing that is set to start has anything to do with that. I have always tried to keep the starup clean through msconfig, though.

Gonna go see if I can un-install it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 05:07 PM

Hi Dawn,

Windows Defender is an Anti-Spyware program from M$, if it's giving problems you can safely uninstall it using Add/Remove programs in Control Panel.

OK the EventID:1000 is unrelated to your problem, its related to DNS issues.

Despite your PC Cillin finding nothing, I wouldn't mind seeing a HJT log, might see something in there that's a possible source of conflicts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 05:15 PM

Thanks, Gary. Wasn't sure if you still felt that was necessary. I will get right on it. Back in a few.

BTW - I un-installed WinDefend through add/remove, etc. Restarted the computer just to see what would happen. This thing is taking forever to shut down and startup is just ridiculous - never used to be that way. After it was done starting up and rested a minute I clicked to start firefox, and it took it 25 seconds just to open that.

Oh I also forgot till just now that the other night when I shut down, I left the room. Came back 20 or 30 minutes later and it still had the blue screen saying Windows is shutting down... Dunno what that was about either.

Ok - off to get that HJT log. Back in a few.

Dawn

And again, Thank you Thank you THank you. Very Very much -
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 05:17 PM

hi again,
not all program will list themselves in msconfig.exe>startup... so it not surprising you don't see it there... sometimes the manufacturer don't want you to disable something.. smile....

however look in your services!!! it a different kind of group of startup programs....... M$ may consider it a service and not a normal startup program... you can go to services.msc for example some of my virus scanner software shows up in services and not startup

... also take a look at these services lists

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12
http://www.yellowhead.com/xpcfg3.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STLITE
Yeah, I am really thinking it is WinDefend too. Been wondering what was going on with that but too busy to look into it.

Odd thing is, it is not listed in msconfig in startup. Not it or anything like or about it. I went to that site listing the stuff in startup, and nothing that is set to start has anything to do with that. I have always tried to keep the starup clean through msconfig, though.

Gonna go see if I can un-install it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 05:22 PM

Gary - just paste it in here, or how do you want me to go about this?

Thanks, Gary. And thanks, Jerry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 05:35 PM

Well, I am gonna go ahead and post it here. I'd say it looks ok to me, but I am not really sure what i am looking at, at lesat not 100% - LOL.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:21:17 PM, on 11/22/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\S3apphk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\LTMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATI9FA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2006\pccguide.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WTablet\TabUserW.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\CDANTSRV.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
C:\Program Files\Photodex\ProShowProducer\ScsiAccess.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Tablet.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://us5.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://srch-us5.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://srch-us5.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://srch-us5.hpwis.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://us5.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://srch-us5.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://srch-us5.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://srch-us5.hpwis.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://us5.hpwis.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://srch-us5.hpwis.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = http://srch-us5.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &hp toolkit - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - C:\HP\EXPLOREBAR\HPTOOLKT.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [S3apphk] S3apphk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LTMSG] LTMSG.exe 7
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus Photo R320 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATI9FA.EXE /P30 "EPSON Stylus Photo R320 Series" /O6 "USB002" /M "Stylus Photo R320"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2006\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: TabUserW.exe.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\WTablet\TabUserW.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycmap.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &SMS - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsms.htm
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AdobeVersionCue - Adobe Sytems - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue\service\VersionCue.exe
O23 - Service: C-DillaSrv - C-Dilla Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\CDANTSRV.EXE
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component (PcCtlCom) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
O23 - Service: ScsiAccess - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Photodex\ProShowProducer\ScsiAccess.exe
O23 - Service: TabletService - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Tablet.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Real-time Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (TmPfw) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe

ALSO - I ran a dish check, and nothing came up saying anything on the disk was bad. Dunno if that means anything really, but thought you all should know.

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 05:56 PM

Hmm - I am thinking maybe it was the WinDefender program that was the problem. I am in PS right now with a full size image and seems to be workign well.

Crossing everything here while I post this - lol.

Dawn

Thanks, Everyone!!

Oh - Gary - I used to have a program on here that cleaned up the registry (I think) I can't remember the name of it- which do you recommend, that's free - lol. Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2006, 02:24 AM

Hi Dawn,

Sorry I'm a bit late getting back to you, sleep kinda got in the way .

OK had a look through your log, and it's a squeaky clean as I've seen in a long while, certainly no indications there of anything that would cause the kind of problems you were having.

Nothing to remove in Startup that would significantly improve boot time, you run a pretty lean machine.

Does Trend Micro come with a Firewall, (can't keep up with which versions of which programmes do or don't)? If not you need one, the one that comes with Windows is rubbish.

If you need links for Freebies, look in the RetouchPro library (I think I've posted links there).

I see you've also got a HP (Hewlett Packard) toolbar installed, not Malicious, but it does report your browsing habits back to HP (not sure how detailed these are).

If you want to stop it running just run HJT and check this item.

O3 - Toolbar: &hp toolkit - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - C:\HP\EXPLOREBAR\HPTOOLKT.DLL

Close all open windows and click Fix Checked.

Doesn't remove the program, just removes the Registry entry that calls it up, so shouldn't have any knock on effects.

WinDefender is tied in to a lot of Kernel level processes and drivers, so if it had got corrupted it would have had some pretty fundamental effects on your system. It could well be that this was the cause of your problems.

However I'd still back things up just in case it's early signs of a Hardware (disk) problem.

OOPS, almost forgot.

Don't generally recommend using Registry Cleaners too much, as some of them can be a bit over zealous and cause more problems than they solve.

However if used cautiously they can occasionally be beneficial.

I use them only very, very, occasionally, and only after a lot of installs/uninstalls, and never until after I've created a Systems Restore point.

I've used the one below without problems. Not as "severe" as some, but creates backups and does give you a lot of control.

RegScrubXP

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 11-23-2006 at 02:43 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
Don't generally recommend using Registry Cleaners too much, as some of them can be a bit over zealous and cause more problems than they solve.

However if used cautiously they can occasionally be beneficial.

I use them only very, very, occasionally, and only after a lot of installs/uninstalls, and never until after I've created a Systems Restore point.

I've used the one below without problems. Not as "severe" as some, but creates backups and does give you a lot of control.

RegScrubXP
Well, Gary, I'm going to give RegScrubXP a try on your "say-so", in spite of your other post picturing yourself "wearing a red tin-foil fez to repel the hypnowaves sent by the government or aliens". I'm going to create a Systems Restore point first, but not because of the fez...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware