RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Gary - anybody - help please?

Old 12-07-2006, 08:31 AM

Re: Gary - anybody - help please?

Exactly how I feel about a Mac. I was planning to save for it, but I can't afford it right now. Maybe I will just wait on all the other stuff and just get the external drive to replace this one and continue working as I have til I have enough saved.

Gary - Thanks for commenting on the pics! Yep, my kids are 6 and 3 and whole-heartedly believe! This was actually their first time to sit on Santa's lap. We tried with my daughter when she was about 2, and she was having NONE of it!! I wish I could share with you all the pics of my nephew as well (but I am not sure how my sister would feel about it). My kids sat there like bumps on a log and would not say a thing. My nephew took a minute and then let the gates open, listed everything he wanted - stuff I can't remember the names of even. A couple of the shots I got of him looked as though he was counting his fingers while he named them all off!! Truly priceless!

Yeah, I think I will just replace that external drive for now. What I have been doing has been working very well for me. I know my system is far from optimal, but I think I have this working better than most folks would think. I will just save up for a better system, a Mac....
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2006, 10:58 AM

Yeah kids are amazing, they can remember a list of things they want that's as long as your grocery list, tell you how much each item costs, and where you can buy it. But you ask em to remember to tidy up their rooms ............. sorry we forgot! (Too busy pricing up next years list )

Good luck with saving for the Mac, if things with you are like they are with me, a whole lot of other "essentials" will get in the way first, but stick to it and I'm sure you'll get it in the end.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2006, 12:09 PM

Thanks, Gary. Yeah, you have no idea the things that are going to get in the way of it!!! One day, though.... one day!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2006, 09:17 AM

dawn,

you're welcome. i do hope things work out ok.

the 'press any key' option with chkdsk will only work before it starts auto-running. you'll see the chkdsk screen, be given the option to let it run or not and if you let it run the only way to stop it would be to reboot or turn off the machine.

nice kids
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2006, 09:20 AM

Thanks, Craig. That really clarifies that whole thing for me.

I really appreciate all your help.

One more question if you don't mind, for anyone really - I thought Seagate was a really good brand of external hard drives. If I go with another brand, what would you recommend or have heard was good, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2006, 04:08 PM

dawn,

you're welcome

it used to be pretty much between seagate and western digital. then maxtor came along.

of the three, i've mostly used maxtor and am normally pretty happy with them, with only one exception (one drive lasted barely over a year). i would expect roughly three years out of a drive and maxtor has usually done ok in that regard. i really dont know a lot about seagate or western digital. i do have one new WD drive now but havent had it long enough to say good or bad yet.

also, do NOT use any of the maxtor software to set up the drive. the last time i tried it was pretty confusing and i just went back to standard dos or windows stuff. and, since this is going to be an external drive, you can format it and partition it all from within windows. you dont have to do the dos thing or some other software. just RIGHT CLICK on 'My Computer' and look down the menu for 'manage'. hit that and it will open a new window. in that window, look down the list and find 'disk management' and click on that and you'll find all the tools you need to set up the new drive. if the drive is already formatted, you wont even need that, unless you want to make new partitions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2006, 10:45 PM

Thanks (again) Craig. I seem to recall having a choice to make on the type of formatting on this seagate drive, one is FAT and I can't remember the other - any opinion on which is better?
I got a guy looking into pricing on these. My problem is that I don't have USB 2.0 so the drive has to also hook up through firewire. Apparently those are way more expensive for some reason than the ones that are just USB 2.0. yay me
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2006, 12:14 AM

dawn,

always fun when things break down, isnt it :wry smile:

FAT or FAT 32 is the older, win98 style of formatting. it's not as good as the other, newer NT style called NTFS, which stands for NT file system.

but, what really matters is which one you're currently using with xp. xp can actually handle one or the other, but not both at the same time. so, you can set windows up as FAT or you can set it up as NTFS and that's what all your other drives shld be set up as also.

NTFS is MUCH less wasteful and the better of the two by quite a bit. hopefully, that's what your current winXP is using. if you want to be sure, RIGHT CLICK 'my computer', pick 'manage' and then 'disk management'. look in those rectangles with text inside that represent your disks and disk space. it will say in there what each drive and/or partition is set up with.

no usb 2.0? oh my. that's a bit of an older system, yes? you may be able to add it in via a pci card. firewire is a bit faster than usb, but usb is so standard these days that most machines come with at least 2 ports and often 4 of usb and only sometimes with firewire. you'd have to check with your motherboard's manufacturer to be sure. and you might also have to alter your BIOS, that little part of the computer that keeps track of all your hardware at a very low level. but again, check with your manufacturer adn see what they say. it would be probably be fairly inexpensive if you can and a good thing to have as well. printers these days are often not even shipping with the older parallel cords and often only have usb cords. so, you'd be adding a lot of versatility to your system with usb 2.0.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2006, 03:22 AM

FAT runs faster on disks below 20 Gig, NTFS runs faster on disks over 20 Gig.

From a security standpoint NTFS has the "disadvantage" of using ADS (Alternate Data Stream), but that is not really a reason for not using NTFS, it is more stable, and definitely the format of choice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2006, 08:33 AM

Fat 16 is limited to 2048 or 2Gb, Fat32 is limited to a file size of approx 4gb and NTFS allows individual file sizes of greater than 4Gb, very important if you are doing video
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware