RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Gary - anybody - help please?

Old 12-11-2006, 03:17 PM

Re: Gary - anybody - help please?

Craig,

It is definitely not USB 2.0 In fact I bought this computer just before that came, or just after and I was unaware. Yeah, considering all that I should have gotten a better deal - lol. This system is 4 years old and was and is absolutely off the shelf. I have only modified it (as far as hardware goes) by adding a dvd burner, but that was some months ago.

I know my computer is nothing to brag about, believe me. I can't afford what a lot of the pros here can, so I do my best with what I have. Someone had said something about not using the external drive for scratch, but I swear the way I had this thing running you never would know I only had (well am supposed to have) 512 RAM and was using an external drive connected through firewire for scratch.

BTW - on the whole FAT32 vs NTSC thing, my external drive came as FAT32 and I left it as that. It has worked just fine til now, but when I get the new drive and move everything over I am going to change it.

I had someone look into that RAM issue a long time ago, and they seemed to be under the impression that it had something to do with the graphics issue as to the full 512 not showing up? Not sure he knew what he was talking about though... lol

Thanks.
Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2006, 04:48 PM

dawn,

ok, i couldnt really tell if usb 2 or 1.1. but if you're sure, then ok.

as for the ram, i just remembered you have onboard graphics, so it may be borrowing/sharing some of your stick ram for that. i still would have thought dxdiag would have shown all that is installed, though. but, that could be it.

so, when you get the new external, let us know how things go. hopefully, that will solve things for the time being. have you had any more problems with the system with the external turned off?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STLITE
Henrik, I think you are right. I would be better off just replacing this dinosaur. I am working on that, but I was hoping to be able to do some work (to help pay for it). I have an 800 dollar order to get out asap, and working at this pace, without the external drive, has been ridiculous. But I can't just pull money out of the air to do what I need to do to make this better. I am definitely somewhere between a rock and a hard place on this.
Dawn
Hi Dawn,

I completely understand where you are coming from, been there many times, and most likely will be there again.

What I was suggesting was not for you to necessary to buy anything new unless of course you o, but to somehow backup your data. and then re-format and reinstall your windows and your application, when done, transfer back your data and continue to work.

I know it is simple if you know what you are doing and it can be a mountain to climb if you are unfamiliar with the process.

If you are going to reinstall and you have any questions, please ask away. You have a great bunch of very helpful friends here.

all the best

Henrik

PS: if you buy a new computer keep the old one, just in case!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STLITE
I know my computer is nothing to brag about, believe me. I can't afford what a lot of the pros here can, so I do my best with what I have. Someone had said something about not using the external drive for scratch, but I swear the way I had this thing running you never would know I only had (well am supposed to have) 512 RAM and was using an external drive connected through firewire for scratch.
Thanks.
Dawn
Dawn,

don't be shy about your computer, it is not the size that matters but what you do with it! :-)

Some of the best images were created with the most basic gear.

take it step by step, upgrade when you can if you feel you need it. (I feel the need to upgrade all the time ;-) ) its never fast enough, but that is for different reasons all together.

it is unfortunately that some companies build PC with bad componets, or compenents that don't work well together. DIY is not everyones cup of tea either. You wouldn't see me with the bonet open on my car, I wouldn't have a clue what to look for under it! :-) but give me a computer and a camera.

if you need help shout!

Henrik
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2006, 07:10 PM

Thanks, Henrik. Sorry I didn't reply to this til now - I hadn't seen your replies.

To continue this mess -

Craig, Gary - I got more info for you. More symptoms rather.

I am thinking maybe that external drive is not actually going bad. Or hoping? Here is the thing. I haven't been able to replace it yet. Had the money and of course got caught by a bill, so here I am still same computer and have been keeping that external drive turned off. A couple of times I have had to turn it on to access a photo or a few stored there and copy them to the internal drive. This is the odd part. I turn it on, access it through the My Computer explorer thing, copy the files. Ok, cool. Now what happens when I do that is the computer continues to act busy in spurts, looks and acts idle for a few seconds, then busy for a second or two, and again , and again... until I shut the computer down and restart it. When it is doing this I can open the Task Manager and in the process list I organize by CPU usage. explorer will pop up at 2%, then stop, then 2%, then stop.... as I said this will continue til I restart.

Ok, weird I thought. Figured it was something to do with that drive and just keep it off. Now, new symptoms. My dvd burner I realize does not recognize dvd's any longer. Went through some serious headache with this!! Trying ot burn a dvd slideshow and it kept telling me to insert a disk and spitting out the disk that was in there. Restart the computer, put in a burnable disk, and nothing happens anymore (had been this way for a while I just never noticed that it no longer auto started my burning software). I go to My Computer explorer and try to access the dvd in the drive by double clicking, it works and works on it a minute or two the spits out the disk saying it is either a corrupted disk or a format not recognized by windows. I am thinking great, bad batch of disks (trying to be optimistic right?) try another and another, dvd+ and dvd- three different packs of disks, same results. I try a movie dvd in there, and try to access it. Nothing at all happens when I do this, other than the while thing just acts as though it is working. there is not even a process taking up any CPU at all when it does this. My mouse pointer becomes an hourglass and every now and again changes to a pointer with a disk beside it as though it were accessing a disk. But nothing ever happens, this just continues and continues until I restart. I even tried to get a test run through HP and the test got to 89% complete and froze with these same symptoms til I restarted again.

If any of you can tell me what the heck is going on I would SO very much appreciate it. I have tried searching for info online and maybe I just don't know enough about what to search for but I can't find what I need to know.

BTW - Happy New Year everyone!! I hope this is not what the rest of the year will be like, especially as far as my computer goes. I am planning to get a new system in February or March (sticking with PC for now but will make that switch to Mac as soon as I can afford it ), but til then I have work to do and this is MORE than aggravating.

Any ideas? Anyone? Aside from throwing this thing down a flight of stairs that is...

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2006, 11:39 PM

Why not take it in to a shop and have them diagnose it? 100 bucks.
How long can this back and forth long distance guesswork go on?
Sorry to be blunt, but are you getting anywhere at all with this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2007, 04:33 AM

Hi Dawn,

With regard to your DVD problem.

Right click My Computer click Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.

This will open Device Manager, scan down to your DVD drive and right click on it.
Click Properties.
Click Troubleshoot and follow the instructions given.

Also could be due to dirt getting on the lens mechanism for your laser, or the laser going out of adjustment.

When you first load a DVD/CD into the mechanism, the laser attempts to focus on the disk, if it can't focus (due to reasons above) it will spit them out. If it manages to focus it will run the disk, but if focus is marginal it may still fail to operate correctly.

Try cleaning the lens assembly with compressed air (you can get cans of it from most computer stores). Do not try to poke your fingers into the lens mechanism as it is quite sensitive.

If laser has gone out of adjustment I'm afraid its a shop job to re-adjust it.

NOTE: There may be software reasons for your problem as well, these are just the easiest ones for you to check.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2007, 07:19 AM

Hi Dawn.

My PC has a very similar problem. I have a USB external Drive formatted NTFS which I mainly use for video and backups as my internal drives are FAT32

When I have my External USB drive plugged in I also cannot write or read DVDs (But I can still write and read CDs)

I have to unplug the USB drive and restart my PC before my DVD drive works again.

I did once spend a lot of time trying to find the problem and I think the problem was something to do with the ASPI layer but I never managed to get it working right.

I don’t use my USB drive too often so I just unplug it and restart my PC after I’ve used it.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2007, 10:29 AM

Joey, thank you so much for your incredibly helpful suggestion. But, if I had $100 I would be putting it toward a new external drive so that I could back up the rest of my info before I do a re-install. I do appreciate your help, though. Seriously.

Gary, do you think that would be the problem even though I can read and write cd's? It is only dvd's it won't read anymore. According to everything I have checked, including the troubleshooting in the device manager, it says the drive is functioning properly, but that is obviously not the case.

Ken - that is very interesting. My external drive is connected through firewire, but something to try. The weird thing about that would be that I have always been able to burn dvd's with the drive connected so I wonder why it would do this all of a sudden. I am going to try what you suggested and let you know. Thanks so much!
Oh and my setup is opposite of that. My internal C: drive is NTFS but my external is FAT32.

Happy New Year, everyone!!

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2007, 12:01 PM

Hi Dawn,

If it reads/writes CDs OK, then its unlikely to be a hardware problem, since essentially they use the same process to operate.

You didn't mention that your CD operation was fine in your last post.

Could still be a problem with the driver though, is there an update available?

Have you tried uninstalling/replacing it? (Make sure you've downloaded new driver before uninstalling old one).

What manufacturer supplied the DVD drive, have you checked on their website for symptoms/solutions?

Just as an afterthought, is your DVD drive set to correct region. (It can be changed a finite number of times, usually 4).

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 01-01-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware