RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

any1 running two computers at once

Old 11-25-2006, 09:35 PM

Question any1 running two computers at once

Hi guys,

just wondering if any of you doing retouching and perhaps batch processing, are having a setup of more then one computer.

I have this idea, that as i sit and do my retouching on images on my main workstation, I may have a bunch of files that needs to have a batch processing running on them, but to not slow down my main box I would like to set it up so that the batch is running of a machine that isn't in use eg. a second workstation.

Does anyone run a similar setup like this and how are you have you set it up?

thanks

Henrik
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2006, 11:32 PM

Re: any1 running two computers at once

theoretically, it's possible. i havent. i have run a network before and one recommendation i'd make is, if you use a router for your connection, get one that has gigabit transfer rates, not the normal 100 megabit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 12:45 AM

Hi tived,
Yes I do something like this. I have a network of 3 PC's and 2 Laptops. PC 1 is my main, 2 is my processing unit, 3 is my test box and then laptops for playing around and for my son (when he gets it for Xmas).

Just use a standard router to network your PC's so they can share files. Then use PC 2 to batch process images from a shared location/drive on the network or Main PC
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 12:51 PM

Here are 2 possibilities.

The first in case your router only has one local area port and the second if it has multiple ports.

To get the best transfer speed between computers, make sure all components are, as it was mentioned, Gigabit rated. This includes the NICs in the computers, the router and the cables. Get CAT6 network cables if you can.

Since most home routers are only rated for 100Mb, you may consider the design with the hub/switch. That way traffic between 2 systems will not have to go through the 100Mb bottleneck of the router. If given a choice select a network switch and not a hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tived
Hi guys,
I have this idea, that as i sit and do my retouching on images on my main workstation, I may have a bunch of files that needs to have a batch processing running on them, but to not slow down my main box I would like to set it up so that the batch is running of a machine that isn't in use eg. a
Henrik
Attached Images
File Type: gif single.gif (19.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: gif multiple.gif (17.2 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Patron

I have 5 PCs on my home network, 3 of which are hooked up to a KVM switch(shared keyboard, display, mouse) and I use Adobe Version Cue and Bridge(I use mostly Adobe CS) to coordinate and organize most of my graphics work on all of them, plus the fact that it makes it so much easier to just simply FIND STUFF on all of them. One of my PCs is dual cpu and is excelent for batch processing. The only area of slowness is moving large files over the LAN although I don't consider this much of an inconvenience in the scheme of things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2006, 09:08 PM

thanks guys for all the replies.

I got network, gigabit across the all machines, I guess i wasn't that clear in what I mean't or maybe i just don;t understand

what I want to be able to do is, to sit on my main machine (yes, all PC here) and I may have a few different jobs to do, some jobs I can start off with running an action on them to prep them for further retouching some jobs are raw conversions.

I have about 4 PC's (A,B,C,D)currently and two laptops and will ad two more work stations. what I would like to do is to be on my workstation(A) and start a batch process on workstation (B) from (A) now, files my be located on my file server (D). Futher to this, if it would then be possible to batch raw convert files on (C)

I don't am not really sure about all this, but perhaps if one could program, one could create a droplet, that could carry out these tasks??

Does this make any sense to any of you?

Thanks

Henrik

PS: half the PCs are dual procssors
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2006, 12:01 PM

All the things that you mentioned can be done by sharing the appropriate drives in the difference systems.

If security is not an issue, do the following:

create the same exact user account in all the systems. Make sure the accounts all have the same login and passwords.
share all of your drives
enable in all your systems Remote Desktop

From your primary desktop (let's call it Master and the other Slaves), launch the Remote Desktop client and access the system that you would like to remotely control.

Launch the process that you need.

If you elect to have SlaveB do the processing of the files that live in SlaveC, it can be done. Just remember that it will not be the most efficient way to do the work since each file will have to travel from SlaveC to SlaveB, the batch process would run and the final image would have to go back to SlaveC.

A better way would be to first move all files that need to be "tweaked" to the system that will run the process.

If security is an issue, do the following:

In this case I would discourage the sharing of the drives; would not use the same login/password in all systems and would not enable the Remote Desktop. All of these can be security risks.

I would share only the folder in SlaveC to the SlaveB account. In another words, only the "user" that is running the process in SlaveB would have the ability to read from and write to the folder in SlaveC

Finally, instead of, remotely logging into the system (via the Remote Desktop client), I would consider what was previously mentioned: a KVM switch.

Quote:
I have about 4 PC's (A,B,C,D)currently and two laptops and will ad two more work stations. what I would like to do is to be on my workstation(A) and start a batch process on workstation (B) from (A) now, files my be located on my file server (D). Futher to this, if it would then be possible to batch raw convert files on (C)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2006, 11:48 PM

Hi Frank,

thanks so very much for taking the time to respond to this, it is much appreciated.

I have thought of doing it how you have described it, though not done it.

regarding the KVM, I used to have an Aten a many summers ago, what I am concerned about is that we are dealing with color fidelity and color is important, would I loose quality in my video signal, I guess, I could calibrate through the KVM and that should compensate for any loss, if the loss is consistant. hmm....thinking thinking

I don't know enough about scribting, but someone elsewhere mentioned droplets, that one could set one up that could perform certain tasks and these tasks could be carried out on remote machines, but! BUT I don't know enough to do this...which is why I am asking the question here.

Though I am however determind to find a solution to this.

thanks

Henrik
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2006, 06:38 AM

Here are some thoughts:
regarding the KVM, I used to have an Aten a many summers ago, what I am concerned about is that we are dealing with color fidelity and color is important, would I loose quality in my video signal, I guess, I could calibrate through the KVM and that should compensate for any loss, if the loss is consistant. hmm....thinking thinking
A good KVM should not degrade the color. However, of all the instances that used KVMs, in none of them color was that critical. So my guess is that it will not degrade the image, but if it does, it probably does it consistently.

I don't know enough about scribting, but someone elsewhere mentioned droplets, that one could set one up that could perform certain tasks and these tasks could be carried out on remote machines, but! BUT I don't know enough to do this...which is why I am asking the question here.
I'm not sure what they called "droplets", but they might be referring to the batch shell processor for Macs. Are you using Mac or windows?
There are many different ways to do this, it all depends if you want to write your own (with something like windows scripting or VB) or if you want to use some of the built in batch capabilities of, for example, Photoshop. In either case it is quite doable. It all depends of what you specifically want to do. Without knowing that, it is hard to give a specific "how to" answer.

Quote:
Hi Frank,
...thanks so very much for taking the time to respond to this, it is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 07:03 PM

thanks again Frank,

No, I am on the good old PC, I like to be able to modify my machines as needed.

Droplets, are both PC and Mac, though I am not sure if they are cross-platform. usually some scribt, jave, apple or adobe (which could all be more or less the same)

I did try my hand at computer science, but quickly discovered that computer graphics for a computer scientist, is something completely different to us in the creative world.

So, programming is not my strong side! :-)

I would need someone or someone's scribt that could help modify it to fit my need.

I am starting think this is going to be harder then first thought.

Do you remember what KVM's you were using?

thanks

Henrik
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware