RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

And the nightmare continues

Old 12-15-2006, 12:38 AM

Re: And the nightmare continues

People considering buying Ghost 10 should review the comments by users found on www.amazon.com.

I have never used it but after reading the reviews I very much doubt if I ever will.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2006, 01:29 PM

gary, or anyone else that might know,

i one little thing i'm having trouble with. it's minor. i cannot keep retouchpro as my home page. it seems to be locked into microsoft.com. i can set it to something else, but it reverts back to ms.com as soon as i use the browser.

i suspect it's one of two things, either something in documents and settings or something in the registry. and this would most likely be due to having installed windows OVER the existing windows. i dont know which it is and i've been erasing the stuff under the old account name in documents and settings, but so far, no luck. when i set up windows this time i picked the same account name, but it didnt overwrite what was there. it named it the name i picked plus it added .windows. so, the old account is named X and the new account is named X.windows, with xp having added that second part so as NOT to overwrite the old account data.

the browser seems to be seeing parts or all of both accounts and thus when i try to change the home page, it lets me enter the data and apply it, but it wont keep it because it seems to be drawing on the other account to actually use the browser home page. kind of goofy and i need to sort this out.

i'm beginning to think it's in the registry at this point, because i've been deleting things out of the old doc and settings stuff and still cant effect a permanent change to the home page. if anyone knows how to fix this, i'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2006, 05:58 PM

Craig, send me a HJT log.

Not because I believe you have any Malware, but because it'll show me your homepage settings etc, and then I can tell you what to change.

Feeling very chilled out at the mo, Pink Floyd is on the TV (re-run of the "Dark Side of the Moon" concert) so I'm typing away with "Money" playing in the background.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2006, 09:23 PM

hi gary,

here's the log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:05:08 PM, on 12/15/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
E:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
F:\HijackThis-1-99-1\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "E:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...?1166121953431
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...?1166124000390
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

as a side note to this, i'm beginning to wonder if the suspect drive is bad or going bad. it may have been heat. when i had the 3 drives in close proximity, i was getting a large amount of heat buildup from one or more of the drives, but with them now separated, i'm not getting the same heat buildup.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2006, 09:52 PM

Craig, you know I feel for you!! Oh, and AMEN!!!

Hope you get it all sorted out. I wish I could offer you the same help you offered me, but I am just not that good.

Good luck with it!
Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2006, 12:07 AM

dawn,

thanks

and yes, it is getting sorted out. i've had the drive on now for some hours and it seems fairly stable at this point. so, hopefully it was just heat and a printer printing problem that i ran into that killed windows.

and, if nothing else, i've got windows back on c:

the browser thing is minor, annoying, but minor.

and i just finished putting psp xi back on the machine and played with it a bit, so that's a good thing.

how is your system going now?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2006, 09:04 AM

Hi Craig,

Sorry to be a bit slow getting back to you.

Strange, the Reg settings for your home page, search engine etc. are missing from your HJT log.

They usually show as a set of R entries (R0, R1 etc).

As they are not shown, could be 2 reasons, A: the registry settings are not present, B: HJT is not running properly on your setup.

OK, to check your home page settings manually.
  • Click Start > Run type Regedit then click OK.
  • This will open your Resistry Editor.
  • Navigate to this key.
Quote:
HKey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
  • Click the Main folder in the left pane, to show the entries in the right pane.
  • Scan down the right hand pane to find Start Page.
  • Double click on it to open the Edit String window. Your current start page will be in the Value data field. If nothing is there, then add the url for Retouch Pro http://www.retouchpro.com click OK.
  • Exit from Registry Editor.

Note: if you're not happy working in the registry let me know. Be cautious when in there, altering things you're not absolutely certain about can have unforeseen consequences. You will not be asked if you are certain when working in the Registry, it assumes you know what you're doing.

If in any doubt do nothing. Probably best to do a back up before making any alterations, easiest way to do this is to create a System Restore point.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2006, 10:38 AM

gary,

ok, this is really odd. i did EXACTLY what you said. i found everything exactly as you said it would be. i double clicked on the entry and it gave me exactly what you said it would. and i typed in exactly what you said under the 'start page' entry and hit ok. it returned an error popup saying: "Cannot edit start page. Error writing the value's new contents." . i tried it again and got the same thing. i also looked at the permissions and i seem to have 'full control'. mind you, i said 'seem'. obviously something is goofed up, though. and my current guess would be having installed windows over windows and inputting the same user account name. somehow, that seems to have messed something up... again, just a guess, though.

and just to clarify this business of the account name, let's say i had a windows account name of 'john' before. when i re-installed windows this time, i also used 'john'. but, when windows installed, i now had two user accounts in documents and settings, the old one named 'john' and a new one named 'john.machinename', where 'machine name' is the name of the computer. i also have two 'all users' entries; "all users" and "all users.windows". and, i have two default users, "default users" and "default users.windows".

so all this makes me wonder if i might also have two registries going or something, or at least something that is crossfeeding the registry or browser entries. it's really quite odd and was totally unexpected. i thought windows would simply overwrite the old account stuff. it never gave me any indication that it would do otherwise during the installation and seemed quite happy with everythng i did to set things up. but i've got to believe this all has something to do with the current problem.

also, i have installed other software since the new installation and i didnt have any problems with writing to the registry there at all, or at least that i can tell. but the problem might just be limited to the c: drive and windows type stuff.

also, i do have that old program that is supposed to re-write permissions that i used to fix my system once before on the old machine when i couldnt access some of the system stuff like system information. i could try that if you think it might straighten things up.

i'll check the microsoft site and see what i can come up with on this. and if you've any suggestions, i'd love to hear them
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2006, 04:15 PM

gary,

i got the homepage set finally. i tried a couple things on the microsoft site, but that didnt seem to do anything on restarting the browser (not the computer). how i got it to take ok was to go into safe mode with networking and log in as administrator. i changed the home page there and it took just fine. so i rebooted and again went into safe mode with netowrking but logged in with my normal account name (which is named by my OLD user account name, NOT the new one, by the way) and started i.e. and reset the home page as you normally would and it worked just fine. i rebooted again and let windows come up naturally and my home page is now set to RP.

i havent tried resetting it again in normal windows but i'll try that shortly.

so, it looks like it might have been a permissions thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2006, 04:21 PM

ah, how interesting. i just tried resetting the home page in normal windows and it wont allow the change to take. i can set it and apply it, but it simply reverts back to whatever it was. so, i cant reset the home page in normal windows mode, only safe mode... so far

maybe i shld just run in safe mode as administrator from here on out

i'm still almost completely confused by these double account entries as well. i've been deleting those that are obvious duplicates (from the old account name, not the new).

maybe i'll try to log off windows (rather than reboot) and log in as administrator and see if i can reset the home page that way. might be good to look at that anyways and see just how many user accounts windows thinks i have.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware