RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

And the nightmare continues

Old 12-20-2006, 03:50 AM

Re: And the nightmare continues

Really should have read all this thread before posting my last offering.

Forgot all about the buggy ZA. That was a few months back, and the problem's now been fixed, but if you're using an older version it's almost certainly the cause of your problem.

Update to latest ZA and let me know if it resolves the problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2006, 09:20 AM

only got a couple minutes here but wanted you all to know that updating zone alarm did the trick!!! i can now set my home page and it sticks!!!

thank you, all!

lol. i shld have known that the date-coincident event was installing zone alarm, but never even thought about it being that, since it's almost a reflex action to install a firewall immediately after windows. god, ya gotta love software.

again, thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2006, 10:22 AM

Well done Bob!

Forgot all about the ZA problem, should have remembered it as we had a lot of users through the forum at SWW with problems setting their home page.

As it coincided with your drive and re-install problems, looking for a more mundane reason never occurred to me until too late.

Glad your homepage problem is resolved Craig.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2006, 01:03 PM

yup, thank you, bob!

and thank you, gary! you've been a staunch trooper throughout all my windows/internet woes these past few months! hopefully, windows is now fully installed and functioning as it shld.

oh, and just in case, i set a restore point before updating za

but i think i better install Ghost and get a backup ready too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2006, 06:09 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. Ghost is the only Norton programme I still like (their AV products used to be OK before they got too bloated, now they're a PITA for a whole lot of reasons, wouldn't touch them with a bargepole).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2006, 08:59 PM

gary,

i'm the same way. ever since norton became symantec, things started going downhill. i used to love 'disk edit' and 'disk doctor'. those are both gone now. 'system works' and 'crash guard' were horrible. and the last time i had their AV, i kept it for a year till the time limit ran out and that was it. no more. and, their basic AV used to be free! so, yeah, ghost is the only one i use too.

ok, moving on from bashing symantec... i've got one little oddity with ZA. it does its thing on two 'zones', 'trusted' and 'internet'. ok, i get that. and it has security settings for both of these in the form of a slider switch going from low to high, one for each zone. when i set the internet zone to high it says i'm in stealth mode and that other computers cant see me. ok, that's fine too. but what happens is that it tends to block my computer from my modem in the win32 generic host process (internet explorer in this case) when in the high setting. i get a message saying it has blocked the win32 generic host process and no particular way to unblock it. now, the really odd part is that this normally only occurs when the machine has been idle for a while or when using other programs for a bit. when i first boot up the machine i get no such message and even if i get such a message it will go ahead and load the proper page anyways. and when i do get this message, and it does go thru, it lags pretty badly. the ip address it says it blocks is my modem address, not a web site.

now, i just had this happen when trying to get here just now and the only way to get it to work was to turn the internet zone security down to medium. it worked just fine then. i can then set it back to high and it still works. quite odd.

now, dont go searching the entire internet for an answer on this. i can go to the zone labs forum and see if there's anything similar or known about this. but, if you just happen to know off-hand, then fine

and merry christmas!

Last edited by Craig Walters; 12-20-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2006, 09:00 PM

oh, and i downloaded and installed the new vid drivers and they seem to have solved the problem with Civ 4. didnt crash on me once.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2006, 04:48 AM

Sorry, the ZA problem is a new one on me.

I actually use a V.Old version 6.0.667, because like Norton the newer programmes suck.

They really haven't added much in the way of protection to the newer versions, just bloated it and made it buggy. Version I use has run without a problem for quite some time now, and I've never been infected once, despite visiting some decidedly seedy sites (OK I've got a lot of other things tying my system down, and getting an unwanted programme to run on my box is as hard as getting Tony Blair to admit he's wrong, but it still means there wasn't too much wrong with the old ZA).

You might try Comodo for your Firewall instead, it's supposed to be quite good, thinking of giving it a try myself.

Comodo

Glad the Vid problems seem to have been solved.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2006, 09:25 AM

thanks, gary.

i looked at the Comodo site. they talk a good story, but then most salesman talk a good story. they say pc magazine gave them high marks. so, i might check it out further. but i'd want to see some first hand testimonials or chat with folks that use it or something before switching. they do make some interesting claims.

and as for bloat-ware, i'm with you there. i've seen a definite trend that way and i dont know if it's everyone gearing up for the vista release and adding in new stuff for that or if they just think they have to re-invent the wheel in order to make sales. but not a good trend in my estimation.

at any rate, things seem fairly stable all the way around now (knock on wood) so, i suppose we shld let this thread die a kindly old death
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2006, 04:55 PM

Seems like a good idea.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware