RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Photo Printers

Old 03-01-2002, 08:45 AM

Anthony, I think DJ has one of the 2000s....the only thing standing the way of my getting one is that my 1270 keeps plugging along and doing excellent prints. There were some problems with metamerism regarding the 2000 but I suspect alot of that was just user unfamiliarity with the unit and perhaps not taking enough time to properly profile it etc.. The longevity of the prints it produces is well worth the cost of the unit, in my opinion, and if Epson would just add refillable tanks to it and dump the cartridges, I would probably get one now, even if my other printer is still functioning..Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2002, 07:19 AM

Printers

thanks for your reply Tom. I was begining to think I purchased a lemon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2002, 09:22 AM

The 2000 is no lemon, it just seems to have a rather steeper learning curve than Epson is willing to admit to. It took me over $100.00 worth of ink and paper plus 2 days of "fiddling" to get the results I wanted from my 1270, but it was worth it. To me, anyway, it seems most hardware manufacturers tend to down play the fact that every device has a learning curve attached to it, and as a consiquence folks tend to get discouraged when the device fails to perform as expected right out of the box as the makers literature all too frequently implies it will...cant even begin to count the times that has happened to me...dont get discouraged, just plan on spending a couple days and some dollars really "digging in" to the controls and getting a good feel for the printer and you will be amazed at the quality of prints that little honey will produce. Good luck, Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2002, 01:33 PM

Does anyone have any experience printing on watercolor paper with the 1280? I know I have read that it can, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried. I am thinking about geting a 1280 for the occasional retouch job, but I really want the larger size so I can make small versions of my art Giclee prints.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2002, 07:41 PM

Photo Printer

I have the 2000P. Absolutely wonderful....unlesss.....you want to do Black and White printing. I haven't had all the problems with metamerism that so many think plague this machine. I have never seen better prints from a computer. Also bought the ICC profiles from inkjet mall for this. You definitely need to calibrate your monitor to use this though. Very very happy, except consumables are rather expensive and the printer is very slow. But if you want quality, the wait is worth it....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2002, 06:11 PM

Fosnocht
You might try this site for low cost Epson printer supplies. I use them and the product and service is very good. I have the 2000P too. I really don't see what they mean by poor quality black and whites but I do have troubles with metamerism especially in the Sepia tones. I do love the prints though and I haven't had any trouble with the machine at all.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2002, 07:54 AM

2000P

I really appreciate everyones positive feedback on the Epson 2000P. I have not calibrated monitor though - this may be the cause of the some of my problems. Like skin tones that are too yellow or too red. Also, I have heard that the blacks are not true blacks. This is why I still have my 870 as a backup.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2002, 10:55 AM

I'm still working on my list of new hardware for my business. I currently have an Epson C80 printer and am thinking of replacing it with a better photo printer - possibly an Epson 1280. I've seen prints from a 1280 and am impressed.

The 2000P is about twice the price. It is worth the additional expense?

I expect to be doing touchup work for scrapbookers, not museum quality stuff.

The C80 does a decent job, but I've tried printing on Epson high end paper with it and the results were disappointing. I don't think I can sell my service if the best I can do is low-end paper.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2002, 01:58 AM

Why not try for a 2nd hand 6-color Epson printer? I bought a 2nd hand 1200 for less than half its retail value, and it does everything that I need.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2002, 10:48 AM

Good idea. You can get some excellent deals on refurbished models and still get a warranty with it. It's worth checking in to. We've done that before and did real well with it.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware