RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

New Monitor Problem

Old 01-19-2007, 12:25 PM

New Monitor Problem

My 9 year old computer finally crashed a couple of weeks ago. I got a new HP with an LCD monitor. I don't know much about calibrating and have always had a hard time with it even following the steps I've found online but I finally got my old one just right. This new one is giving me fits. Everything looks so faded and the colors are way off. A blue sky looks green. I can adjust the brightness and contrast which helps a little but still not really correct. Can anyone tell me what do I need to do to get this all set up right?
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2007, 05:20 PM

Re: New Monitor Problem

hi,
could be several things... maybe graphic card drivers need to be reinstalled however.... a couple of things i would check first.. is make sure your cable connected and seated well... I don't know if your using analog or digital inputs but I do know with analog inputs , you can easily lose a color if the jack not seated correctly... and the other two colors become very dominant.

another possibility is go into your display properties>advance .. with most graphic cards, generally under the color tab there a gamma setting that make a big difference your colors and brightness...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan
My 9 year old computer finally crashed a couple of weeks ago. I got a new HP with an LCD monitor. I don't know much about calibrating and have always had a hard time with it even following the steps I've found online but I finally got my old one just right. This new one is giving me fits. Everything looks so faded and the colors are way off. A blue sky looks green. I can adjust the brightness and contrast which helps a little but still not really correct. Can anyone tell me what do I need to do to get this all set up right?
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Janitor

Rightclick on your desktop and select Properties. Then go to the Settings tab and click on Advanced. Then click on the Color Management tab and tell us what profile is selected.

Also, do you have Adobe Gamma in your Startup folder?

Regardless of the solution, you might want to consider picking up a hardware calibrator. You can get them for $80 (or less) nowadays.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2007, 11:48 AM

Everything seems to be connected right. The profiles I have available are
Adobe RGB1998
Color Match RGB
HP vs 15
Kodak dc
sRGB Color Space Profile
I've tried all of them and nothing makes much difference. There are some controls on the side of the monitor to adjust brightness and contrast and color temperature but nothing for gamma. Also, the quality of my photos look horrible. I have a Canon camera that is only a few months old and on my old monitor, I could view the photos and count the pores and individual hairs when I zoomed in. On this one the photos look like they are all at 72 instead of 300dpi. Very pixelated. I'm lost with this.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2007, 12:54 PM

hi,
curious.... what screen resolution and color resolution do you have your graphic card setup for?

On the gamma setting that won't be on the monitor but in your graphic card settings.... after you get to your display properties> settings>go to advance> and generally , maybe under a different tab, under the color tab you should see a gamma control slide bar.....
note: on some cheaper graphic cards there may not be a gamma setting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan
Everything seems to be connected right. The profiles I have available are
Adobe RGB1998
Color Match RGB
HP vs 15
Kodak dc
sRGB Color Space Profile
I've tried all of them and nothing makes much difference. There are some controls on the side of the monitor to adjust brightness and contrast and color temperature but nothing for gamma. Also, the quality of my photos look horrible. I have a Canon camera that is only a few months old and on my old monitor, I could view the photos and count the pores and individual hairs when I zoomed in. On this one the photos look like they are all at 72 instead of 300dpi. Very pixelated. I'm lost with this.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2007, 01:31 PM

Hi, I did dig a little deeper and found where I can change the gamma. I think I'll be able to get that corrected. Right now I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the poor image quality I'm seeing. I found a setting for quality but it only seems to make the pixelization worse.
My screen resolution is 1024x768. Color quality, Highest 32 bit.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Patron

Nan, your previous monitor may have used Adobe Gamma or some other control panel to that was associated with your last monitor configuration. These control panels are almost always set to turn on when your computer powers up. They are usually the last thing to load when your PC finishes booting up and they load in all of the settings / profile previously eatablished for that monitor. If a new one was installed and the old one was not delete (for example Adobe Gamma), the old one will often rule at startup.
I suggest you do the following:
Go to your start menu and go Start>Run. When the dialog box comes back, type msconfig and hit enter. When msconfig comes up, click on the startup tab and run through the list. See if you have more than one item that looks like it could be associated with monitor settings (Adobe Gamma, for Viewsonic Monitors its called Perfect Suite). I do not know what HP uses but it likely came on the CD that came with your HP monitor. Also if you have ever used a Hardware calibration device like Huey or Spyder, check to see if those are turned on. Only one should be active.
Perhaps this will be causing your problem. Good Luck
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2007, 02:49 PM

Hi Murray,
This is a new computer and new monitor so nothing from the old monitor would be interfering. At least I think that was what you were saying the problem might me.
Thanks,
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2007, 03:02 PM

Nan, check out this site:

http://www.hex2bit.com/products/product_mcw.asp

There's a download for a free calibration software that might be helpful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Patron

Nan, something could have been installed on the initial build of your new computer. I still recommend that you examine what is currently in your Startup items.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware