RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Mouse Advice

Old 01-24-2007, 09:52 PM

Mouse Advice

I currently work on a Mac with the stock one button mouse but I would like to get a 2 button cordless mouse with a clickwheel.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I am going to be doing alot of retouching with it so I want a good one.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 10:34 PM

Re: Mouse Advice

Retire the mouse to a block of cheese and get a tablet
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 11:00 PM

I knew someone was going to say that! I actually have a tablet.
Really though...to each his own, right? I can not work with a tablet, I would be able to if I could use my fingers on it. I just cannot jive with that stylus. Im more of a pastel/charcoal person and not a pencil/paintbrush person, if that makes sense. Im just more comfortable on a mouse. I want one with good precision though.
Thanks for trying!

Im still waiting for suggestions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 11:48 PM

I use a mouse and a tablet depending on the situation. I love optical mice but always hated wireless as they seemed to skip. I was recently given a Logitech wireless/optical and it rocks. Cool little USB device fits snuggly in bottom of mouse for travel. Highly recommend it.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 05:32 AM

I have a Logitech MX-1000 Laser mouse and really like it. Much higher resolution than an optical mouse. Come with rechargeable batteries. Absolutely necessary unless you own a battery company. Mine spends every night in the charger. Also, you should look at more buttons on the mouse. They can be programmed to perform useful functions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 11:44 PM

i used to buy Logitech, but lately i've found them to be breaking down way too quickly. i buy microsoft mice now and have been quite happy with them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2007, 11:01 AM

hi,
I can't give you a complete answer on which is the best for you but I can give some of thoughts....

first there a wide variety... I generally prefer a logitec or M$ mouse... I always found them reliable and meet my needs in general.... now this link gives you an idea what avail....
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ds=wheel+mouse

now.... there a lot of different mouses out there and they will work fine but you want one that will work best for you.... and this where looking at details becomes important here some thoughts.
1. right now you have a roller type mouse... get a optical so much better and more reliable ie; no cleaning involved and less hassels. smile...
2. cord or wireless well to me that a personal preference.....
3. the dpi sensitivity... this is important... there many of them that will do 300 or 400 dpi but you may want one that does 800 dpi or better...
4. as was previously mentioned you may want one that is programable...
5. people don't think about this but how well it fits your hand!! how comfortable is it...!! a lot of similar designs there a difference in how it fits the hand... this where going to a store like staples or office depot where they have a lot of demos avail to play with come in handy to get the feel... and while at it.. do a lot clicking and see which one will click well some require a lot of pressure and some very soft (sensitive)

well those are my thoughts good luck on your selection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelm
I currently work on a Mac with the stock one button mouse but I would like to get a 2 button cordless mouse with a clickwheel.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I am going to be doing alot of retouching with it so I want a good one.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2007, 08:12 AM

Unfortunately mice are pretty well a 'try and see' issue, husband tonight, threw new mouse in bin, pretty well fed up with it and it wasn't a cheap mouse either
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2007, 10:36 AM

I'm on a Mac too. I have a wireless keyboard, but hate the wireless mice because they feel heavy in my hand and as someone else mentioned, they tend to skip.

I've been using a Microsoft (arrgh) Intellipoint USB 5 button, optical mouse with scroll wheel. I had my first one for about 6 years, and recently replaced it because the contacts had gotten worn and would do wierd clicks at odd times.

The extra buttons are great and can be programmed to perform different functions in different programs. For example, I have the left (thumb) button set globaly to do the key stroke Command+W to close windows. The right button is set to bring up the contextual menu except in the browser (Firefox) where I have it set to as a "Back" button. The scroll wheel is also a "tap" button and I have it set in Firefox to enlarge text.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2007, 11:59 AM

Hey Thanks everyone for your replies. I found a mouse and it is awesome! I have a small hand and so I bought a Logitech VX Revolution for notebooks. It is still the same size as the stock mouse though. It is very light because it only has 1 AA battery.
It has the laser tracking, and all sort of extra buttons that you can program. I already have one that I turned into the move tool so that I do not have to press V. I also customized the zoom buttons it has to snap to 100% and fit to screen...Also it has a button where you can press it and it pops your webbrowser up....oh AND it will scroll up down really smoothly AND side to side...that side to side one is fantastic. I dont need the hand tool anymore! I will let you know if anything goes wrong but I worked with it all day yesterday and I am loving it!

Last edited by Chelm; 01-28-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware