Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

What PC to buy for Multimedia & Pictures

Old 02-07-2007, 11:29 PM
What PC to buy for Multimedia & Pictures

Hi All,

We are busy launching a multimedia business to offer various services that are lacking in our country regarding photography, multimedia and the digital age (DVD video's etc.). The process has come to a point where we need to choice what sort of computers to invest in. Having a look at the poll on this thread it would seem that most people use PC's.

For photo's, PhotoShop is a must. However it comes on MAC and PC. For the other end, multimedia seems easier to develop on MAC's and we are investing in the Epson V700 scanner, which does mention that there are drivers for MAC, but not if there is scanning software for MAC (the reviews all used PC's).

So the question is, which would be the best investment for this type of business?

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2007, 02:25 AM
Re: What PC to buy for Multimedia & Pictures

I am currently developing a DVD authoring house in my living I will rent space in town. My current setup is for the things you're talking about is a Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad Xeon, 4 GB Ram, Final Cut Studio ( specifically using Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro, Adobe CS2, Epson V700 Scanner. for all of this, you're looking at $6,000...add 200 for windows xp (most things aren't compatible with vista yet).

Keep in mind, you can also choose to go with an iMac - will save money in the short run, but you'll be buying a new machine sooner. The above setup with the 20" iMac will run about $4,000 with the iMac, software, and scnaner. You also

If you can for wait a little whie, CS3 will be universal ( (although it runs nice with 4GB Ram). The Mac is especially nice since you can run both windows and mac os.

The epson scanner comes with the Photoshop drivers to scan photos, slides, and negatives. (I never checked for Epson scanning software for mac, since their windows software is horrible).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2007, 02:31 AM
Re: What PC to buy for Multimedia & Pictures

Thanks cducasse.

I will have a look at those options.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware