RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

CHEAP Camera sites

Old 02-20-2007, 11:42 PM

CHEAP Camera sites

I am sure many of you have some favorite sites or places you purchase your cameras and camera accessories from. Will you please share your most cost effective sellers as I am really looking to get a Digital SLR. I am not apposed to buying a used one to learn on or see if this is something I want to pursue. Thanks in advance
Kristen
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2007, 11:55 PM

Re: CHEAP Camera sites

I've always been impressed by Beach Camera located in New Jersey. They seem to have competitive prices and ship immediately.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 12:02 AM

I've used Beach Camera & Adorama and have had no problems with either. You can check ratings of a site here. http://www.resellerratings.com/

Hope this helps out.

Dennis
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 08:30 AM

I love beach camera
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristeno
I am sure many of you have some favorite sites or places you purchase your cameras and camera accessories from. Will you please share your most cost effective sellers as I am really looking to get a Digital SLR. I am not apposed to buying a used one to learn on or see if this is something I want to pursue. Thanks in advance
Kristen
Hi Kristen... welcome to RetouchPRO.

I have had good luck with B&H. Although I have never purchased previously owned (used) gear from them, I would not hesitate to do so. They are a top notch operation and highly respected among the online retailers. While their prices might not be rock bottom, their service is highly rated which, to me, is worth a few more bucks.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
Clicked on Used Equipment (bottom-most entry from the list on the left)

I didn't do any "used" vs. "new" price comparisons, so I don't have a feel for how much one might save. It would all depend on the brand/model under consideration. Read the descriptions carefully, too. Some cameras come "with" a lens, while others are body-only.

Regardless of new/used, don't forget things like an extra battery and UV (or other) filter for lens protection.

Good luck on your adventure.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Janitor

I like B&H, but there are a lot of great dealers out there. Use a shopping site like pricegrabber.com, read the reviews written by customers (make sure there are plenty of reviews) and make your purchase.

The problem with looking for the cheapest deal is that it works great 99% of the time, but it only takes one foul-up to wipe out all the savings you acrue from all the other deals you found. So find a dealer you trust and stick with them. It will be cheaper in the long run.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 12:31 PM

I have bought three digital cameras on ebay with success. One was refurbished model and is still in good working condition after three years. My favorite is a 2mp Panasonic LC20 with a nice leica lens for just $21 (I had to supply a memory card and batteries).
Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcar
I have bought three digital cameras on ebay with success. One was refurbished model and is still in good working condition after three years. My favorite is a 2mp Panasonic LC20 with a nice leica lens for just $21 (I had to supply a memory card and batteries).
Alan
Good point. Now that you mention it I got a good deal for our church via eBay on a Nikon D50 outfit (camera, Nikon lens, 1GB card, case). Saved ~ $100 over equivant pkg. from online dealers.

eBay can be a good place to shop for this type of thing if one knows what potholes to avoid. That comes with eBay shopping experience, so I wouldn't recommend a DSLR as a 1st eBay purchase.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 12:57 PM

I have made several purchases from B&H over the past several years.

No problems of any kind........ Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 12:42 AM

Depending where you are you might look at Costco. I've seen some nice pricing on entry DSLRs.

I have had great results with Beech as well as the other folks above.

B and H is the largest in the world I was told the last I was there. I find them a pleasure to deal with but like Danny, I will pay a bit more for the fine service and the fact that they really do have it to sell if they tell you they do.

I just sold a D100 for 500 on ebay and the fellow is happy and I know he got a good camera for a good price so that is a good place to look. I didn't get my money until the buyer had the camera and approved that he had what he wanted.

Best of luck to you
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware