RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Graphic Tablet Poll

View Poll Results: What size graphic tablet do you use?
4x5 123 33.24%
6x8 104 28.11%
9x12 51 13.78%
no tablet...use a mouse 80 21.62%
other 12 3.24%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2002, 05:51 PM

I am only replying to this thread through indignancy. My next door neighbour has bought a Wacom Intuos ( I think) A4 oversized for £180, he then had the nerve to "invite" me around to "see this little puppy in action".

All the more galling that he has no artistic bone in his body and is a mere code monkey - I look at Gregs paintings with Painter and the like and curse his talent, whilst having a tablet may not be the answer to my prayers, surely it would be a start.

Second hand tablets of a decent size are as rare as hens teeth, if anyone hears of a criminal price, please post details on this forum so that we may all 'make a steal'
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2002, 09:16 PM

I have a 12 x 12 Calcomp tablet and find it easy to use for drawings and outlining photo parts but not so good for menus etc., for which I use a mouse. I can hook them both up together, but, frankly, I usually just use the mouse for EVERYTHING unless it looks like an exceptionally complex job.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2002, 09:38 PM

I use a 6x8 Aiptek and I think its the best kept secret out there! I paid $99 and it has 512 presure values. It is fully configurable as to ratio, speed, pressure, etc.

Tex
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2002, 09:43 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Mike,

Here ya go! A Graphire 2 refurbished tablet. $65.00 with shipping included. I don't know anything about the online store, but the price seems right. I'm thinking about it myself. Has anyone done business with Harmony Computers?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2002, 10:49 PM

Ed,
Price Grabber has a merchant rating scale with customer reivews. I found your tablet with Harmony there also. It's listed as the least price offer. If you check this page you will see the customer reviews on this company. Looks pretty good to me.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2002, 07:09 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Thanks Deb. It looks like they've sent customers the wrong item several times, and when the cutomer tries to it reconciled, they have a hard time. Fourty three out of fifty two are happy with the service though.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2002, 07:34 AM

Art-Pad test

In the latest photoshop special of the 'Computer arts magazine' was a comparison test of the most common a4-sized art-pad types.

The results were somewhat predictable , however, there was a nice surprise in it that might be interesting to all those who are thinking about buying an artpad, but are scared stiff of the prices...

Probably due to the very low price, this EasyPen actually scored better overall than the Intuos 2

The results:
1) Wacom Cintiq 15x 15" for £1300
2) Wacom Intuos 2 A4 for £ 430
3) EasyPen G6 for around £ 65 !!!!

This EasyPen G6 has a resolution of 3048lpi and 512 pressure levels. but no tilt-sensitivity. It does have the programmable menu strip the wacoms have, however.

Since I'm a firm believer in copyright laws, for a full review go to www.computerarts.co.uk
(Not sure it's on the site yet, or check out tha pad at www.nisis.com)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2002, 08:20 AM

Tablet

I have a track ball,touch pad,cordless mouse,and of course the old microsoft standard.There all in the closet with I cleaned this morning.I have a 8x6 Intous tablet which I use all the time.I love it.The only thing I have to remember when serfing the net is to change tha pen pressure otherwise I have no controll on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2002, 09:05 AM

PixelMover,
Thanks for the review on the Easy Pen. That really sounds interesting. Wacom is fast moving in and taking over the tablet industry and I suspect, overshadowing alot of great tablets that can't afford advertising on the scale Wacom does. It's good to know there are many other tablets out there that offer just as much and maybe even better for alot less. Also the more competitors Wacom has the lower their prices will have to be to stay on top. Healthy competition in the market also opens the way for much better products.

Ed,
If money is the factor, you might be smart to do a comparison check of some of these other tablets out there.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2002, 09:38 AM

BTW, I happened to use a Wacom Cintiq briefly at a Photoshop "Expo" I attended last Monday. OMG!! First of all, the LCD technology for the display is far superior to anything else I've ever seen. It has a 160 degree viewing angle!! (Meaning, you can view it up to 80 degrees off center and not see any degration of the image.) I thought it must be a CRT because I was standing so far to the side and realized I was still seeing a good image. When I found out it was LCD I was blown away!

And, being able to "draw" write on the display as a tablet is very cool. The only thing I didn't like was that there seemed to be a bit of a lag between the paintbrush "circle" and the pen I was holding. I was told that delay is affected by the size of the file as well as the speed of the computer's processor. However, I was so blown away by the quality of the LCD, this was a very minor point.

You can keep the tablet on a stand, remove it to put on your lap - or just about anywhere you want.

My husband has been bugging me to get an LCD display, but the limited viewing angles really, really bug me. When I came home to tell him I'd found the perfect display for $3500 (for the 18"), he decided perhaps my old CRT was just fine.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware