RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Graphic Tablet Poll

View Poll Results: What size graphic tablet do you use?
4x5 123 33.24%
6x8 104 28.11%
9x12 51 13.78%
no tablet...use a mouse 80 21.62%
other 12 3.24%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2002, 02:14 PM

Very good, I agree with yur method. Pay it forward.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2002, 06:37 AM

I use a Wacom Intuos 2 6X8.
There seems to be a distinct advantage to this size when you factor in that "most" users will be using both the pen and mouse while using their computer. The tablets drawing area is roughly about the size of a mouse pad, so the transition of changing from the pen to the mouse is simple. Just by placing the included "cordless and battery free" mouse on the tablet the mode changes automatically from pen to mouse and you don't find yourself "short" on movement area when using the tablet as a mouse pad.
When you are ready to switch back to the pen, you simply set your mouse aside, pick up the pen from its holder and draw away (the mode again changes).
Although the complete area of space the tablet takes is roughly 10X13 inches, this can create set-up problems as far as finding a "usable" place for your keyboard. Myself, I have a shelf that my keyboard was once on and use this for my tablet. My keyboard is sitting in front of my monitor, which I use with my left hand while drawing with my right. Also, I might mention that the Wacom tablets have a "really long" cord, which gives you the option of placing the tablet in your lap if you wish to do so. Another feature of using this size is the fact that you can "trace" a rather large image without repositioning it, by placing it under the transparent surface.
I realize this information is probably obvious to many of you, but for those considering the investment and not having any experience with tablets, perhaps this will give you something to consider.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2002, 09:48 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
A guy gave me $40.00 for doing a restoration for him, and he said he'd have more for me to do. So I took the money, and bought a Wacom Graphire 2. Just ordered it this morning. All the positive talk on the forums about tablets made me want one. If I'm not happy with it, I'll be looking for you. But if I do, I'll send you a kiss (girls only...maybe a warm handshake for the guys).

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2002, 10:00 AM

Ed, once you start using the Graphire, you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

Someone here mentioned that most people still alternate between the pen and the mouse - I NEVER use the mouse any more. Everything is so much easier with the pen.

The only thing about the pen that I don't take advantage of is the little rocker switch on the side of it - I just can't get used to it, but there are easy ways to duplicate it's function so it's not a problem

I'm looking forward to that kiss

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2002, 11:14 AM

Thumbs down

Hey Ed, that's great!!! I know you're going to love it. Wait til you see the difference in control and precision it gives your work. Don't keep us in suspense when you get it.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2002, 03:20 PM

Margaret's not going to have to worry about that kiss just yet. Got the tablet this morning, and after playing with it for an hour or so, I'm still having trouble controlling it. The good news is that I think she'll have to start worring about it again in a couple of days.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2002, 05:53 PM

You may be using it in the mouse mode. That could be why you're not getting the control. Check your settings on it. It should feel and act like a pencil.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2002, 07:59 PM

It was in pen mode. I think I just need to get used to using it. I just read part of the user's guide, and they have an exercise for beginners to try. It looks pretty good, so I think I'll give it a go.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2002, 08:42 PM

Well, give yourself a week or so to really make it second nature to you. Some people take longer than others and some take to it right away. I still use my mouse for most everything else. Tried using the pen but I didn't like it as much. Others use their pens exclusively.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2002, 09:18 PM

I can't wait to get a tablet. I use a trackball mouse, which is a big improvement over the standard mouse. I do have more control, but there's still room for more. Perhaps Santa will remember I'm still around, or maybe I'll leave this post up on my monitor for my nieces and nephew to see.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware