RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Monitor, CRT, LCD calibration - what are YOU using?

Old 09-09-2007, 11:55 AM

Re: Monitor, CRT, LCD calibration - what are YOU using?

I am using a GretagMacbeth eye one LT (actually the box is pantone but the hardware is GM) Using the included software you can not set a native white point, thats the big catch...only around $130 though.

Will be using with the ColorEdge CE240W 24" lcd very soon, which can use the eye one with the ColorNavigator CE Calibration Software which as Mando-Matic mentioned uses hardware calibration

my $260 acer 22" lcd cheapy just plain stinks, the brightness falloff is horrible and makes it hard to proof anything.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2007, 03:22 PM

ColorNavigator does a great job. Th eye one is having some problems with the Coloredge monitors, if you already own it it will have to do.
I use ColorEyes Display Pro, it is without a doubt the best software for calibrating a monitor.
They sell a decent package along with the DTP94 I have from my Monaco PulseElite system(now part of Xrite).
They do have a deal for purchasing their software along with the DTP94 and their support is superb.
The bundle is here: http://www.integrated-color.com/Merc...ay+Calibration

The software alone is here: http://www.integrated-color.com/Merc...ay+Calibration

For what it is worth this is the same setup that the late Great Bruce Frasier(a genius when it came to this stuff and almost solely responsible for making it as easy to calibrate for the masses as it is) used. He and I (and many others)tore a bunch of programs apart and this software just offers so much more capability for the money.
There is a demo available that will build a profile for you. You will be amazed and I will not use anything else on my Eizo and probably any other monitor.

Call them up and order it, ask for Derrick Brown and tell them I sent you just to harrass him.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2007, 08:48 PM

I did download the demo of color eye pro a few days ago...and the result is amazing! I think the biggest visible change was that it let me set my white point to native, as the pantone LE software would not.

Is there a way to reload the demo when I get my Eizo?...might have to use my pc for something haha.

I had a few questions for you Chris if you dont mind,

1. (in coloreyes) Do you use the *L gamma or 2.2? when I tried *L it made my B+W pictures muddy.

2. Do you use Absolute or relitive black point? Absolute seemed to work best on my acer

3. How bad is the Eye-One on the ColorNavigator CE? like way off or just you can kind of notice it if you switch profiles back and forth? (my wallets pretty thin after buying the eizo and wacom intous3!) Also I have the Eye-One display 2, where the problems with the original eye one?

Thanks for the help, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it

Last edited by AdamZx3; 09-09-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2007, 10:38 PM

You need to make sure that the USB 2 cable is attached to the computer to get the best calibration with the eizo. If it can't communicate with the card's lut you will get good, but not great calibration. ColorEyes deals with calibrating Grays more than any other software out there.
What are your intitial settings when first starting out? Are you using the guided tour or the advanced setup? 16 bit? blah blah blah

1) I have used both the *L and the 2.2. I like the *L better even though, for some reason, 2.2 has become a "defacto" with photographers and such. The *L handles your monitors ability to handle your video card much better. Or vice-versa. To old to really remember.

2) Absolute or Relative really do depend on the ability of the monitor. With my Eizo I prefer the relative setting.

3) I don't recall the exact details with the Eye one, but I can call Derrick and ask him if you really want me to. But I can tell you that Integrated Color, outside of the makers of the Eizo, are the world authority on the monitors. And they dropped the eye-one last year like a rock because of problems with accurate results. Really the only way is to get a hold of a DTP94 and compare the differences.
Depending on where you are, if you pay the shipping and get it back right away, I can lend you mine to do this.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2007, 01:33 AM

Thanks again for the info, even a after reading books and online articles on color management i'm still not there...but its a start. Glad to have someone who know what their talkin about

Quote:
What are your intitial settings when first starting out? Are you using the guided tour or the advanced setup? 16 bit? blah blah blah
I'm using icc v4 with 16bit lut based profile format.
Native White balance with max luminance (D65 is pretty warm)
2.2 gamma (L* made my blacks a lot lighter, prob even lighter than a print)
Blackpoint - Absolute (Relative made the swatch 0,0,0 very dark grey, Luminance set to min, could very well be my current acer monitor.)

Also its being run off a Macbook Pro if that makes any difference (hopefully a mac pro soon if I can sell the MBP for enough!)

Quote:
Depending on where you are, if you pay the shipping and get it back right away, I can lend you mine to do this.
Wow, thats very nice of you. I live in NE Ohio, and would send it back the day it came or depending on when it arrived the very next day at the latest. I am waiting on refinancing my student loan and taking some money for the new monitor, so hopefully the monitor will be on its way by next week (the schools dragging their feet). It would be great to test out the differences between the two calibrators...might have to pickup the coloreyes bundle

P.S. , I sent you a pm about the retouching seminar in vegas.

Last edited by AdamZx3; 03-14-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2007, 04:08 AM

Hi Danny,

check this if U didn't have it

http://www.pantone.com/pages/product...px?pid=79&ca=2

saby
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2007, 07:02 AM

Spyder2pro, on NEC spectraview 1990
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware