Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Digital Cameras

Old 02-23-2002, 09:43 PM
It depends on what you want to use the camera for, if only personal use I also would suggest Olympus or Sony cameras.
I have owned the Sony CD-1000.

If you are going to use it for prints or making your living get one of the Nikon D1 series.

I have the Nikon D1x and I would highly reccomend it to anyone that is serious about their photography.
Hope this helps....

best wishes,
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2002, 02:30 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I just bought a Nikon coolpix5000. It wasn't my first choice but I was able to get a great deal on it. Apparently this model had problems when released in the US but they tell me that the problem chip has been corrected now.
It seems preety good so far, but I've only had it 2 days and am still learing how to operate it. I've attached (I hope) one of my first pics taken with it. My dog Junior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg junior75.jpg (57.6 KB, 101 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2002, 02:55 PM
Thats an excellent picture Sandra. That camera seems very good in capturing the details. It's a picture worthy of framing. Well done. Wish I could take pics like that. Of course he's a good looking subject. Love those markings.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2002, 10:46 PM
Personally, I want the new Canon 1D ..... now all I have to do is find me a "Sugar Mamma" to pony up the funds for it! I don't think I could convince my wife that this is a "necessary" item in life.

In realistic terms, I wouldn't mind having the Canon G2 or the Nikon 995. Still a pretty penny to be layed out for either of those!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2002, 12:22 AM
Very nice definition in the white hair Sandra . You should try one with a black cat/ dog for the opposite test to see how well it resolves black hair.

Last edited by BigAl; 02-25-2002 at 01:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2002, 12:17 AM
Adorable Such a sharp picture!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2002, 09:02 AM
I've just read this thread because I am in the market for a digital camera right now. I see it is dating back to Feb last post so I decided to revive it. A lot changes in the digi camera world in 5 months. Many new cameras have or are just coming out.

It's such a tough decision. I am really seriously looking into the brand new Olympus C-720. It seems like an awful lot of camera for the price. It is only 3 megapixels however and there are some new 4 and 5 mp cameras available now for not much more. I am not sure how bad I need the extra resolution above 3mp but I do love the other features of this camera.

The optical zoom is quite important for me. I want a camera with option of manual settings as well as good auto.
WB is nice, RAW format is a must.
Anyone else out there shopping for a camera right now .. or just recently bought one?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2002, 09:52 AM
Well, I made the same choice as Sandra. I chose Nikon Coolpix 5000. I am very happy with my choice. I have researched digital cameras for several months before I made this purchase. For me, I needed a camera that was multifunctional. I wanted to be able to add on to my camera. So, the Nikon Coolpix 5000 is all that and more for me. I can add additional lenses (macro is almost not necessary with how incredible the built in zoom is) but I'd like to be able to use a wide-angle or telephoto from time to time. I also want to be able to use additional flash. The last two digital cameras I owned had no hot shoe which I later discovered was absolutely necessary. Indoor lighting was always an issue with my past two camera's. Also, I found that the standard 2.2 mega pixel camera did a nice job when printed as a 4x6 but as I went above that, I began to notice pixelation. Clearly a 5 mega pixel camera does not have these issues. Now with my raving review - the are a few shortfalls... of course

1) It will take me a life to to figure out the manual settings
2) I have to buy and add on attachement for additional lenses (which is generally not a big deal but Nikon has them on backorder forever)
3) Cost - they aren't cheap
4) You need a huge compact Flash card
if you want high res images.

Albiet it's an awesome camera but not a beginner by any means.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2002, 11:50 AM

I know what you are going thru. I been there and finally decided on the Fujipix 2600. Just like a kid in a candy store. Everything looks good but what do I choose?

I just picked up the fujipix 2600 zoom this week and I am really impressed with the results. It is a 2.0 mega pixel, 3x optical zoom The depth of field is great. A friend of mine e-mailed me a photo taken with this camera and I printed it out and was surprised at the sharpness and detail.

I really wanted the nikon 5000 but the price was and is still to deep. I also decided not to spend a lot of money, because like you said, look at 5 month ago how so much has change. I'm one of those people that buy $1000 equiptment and 6 months or one year later it is half the price.(Ouch)

Also, I read people replies at who brought the camera. Like the people comments said, for the Price I can't complain.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2002, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the input Lisa. I know you are very enthusiastic about your Coolpix and that made me think about that camera quite a bit. I definitely has some desireable features. Price is a bit more than I was planning to pay but I will go into a shop and have a really good look at one.
The two big attractive pluses on the Oly 720 is

a) price is $400 less than the CP500 (of course there are a few less goodies)
b) the 8x optical zoom which is a huge plus for me.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware