Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Digital Cameras

Old 06-12-2002, 02:00 PM
Oh thanks for the tip Hydia. I will look into this camera. I think I'm getting a bit buggy here reading and Steve's digicams etc.

I keep changing my mind between a cheaper camera or just going for the one I REALLY want. I am also a bit of a techno-junkie. I want the latest and greatest but in the digital world that is a short-lived experience... alas I know whatever I buy something better will tempt me in 6 months so I am trying to decide what camera will make me really happy for a couple years.

I am NOT a photographer by any stretch, however, I know myself. If I get into something.. I get INTO it. If I buy a featureless camera I will be unhappy in no time with it. hehehehe.. what a dilema.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2002, 04:56 PM
Hi all!

I have a Nikon 995 and really like it. Great macro capabilities. Does need an external flash for serious work. I use a Lexar card reader and the photo transfer is a snap. As a photo lab manager I see more of our bussiness going this way. (myself included)

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2002, 09:25 PM
My, I'm gone for awhile and everyone's Avatar gets fancy. I feel so...out of it.

I'm glad that you're pleased with your purchase Sanda and it seems like you made an excellent choice.

I have always recommended that people buy a 1.3megpixel (w/ opitcal zoom if the price is right for about $100 or so) and see if it would be enough camera. Some people might then be able to see if they CAN justify a more costly camera and simply sell the cheap on to a family member. The low end cameras are of very good quality. I regularly travel around w/ my camera in the car around town and blatantly taking pictures of whatever i find interesting. Who knows? I might be able to sell a picture to a newspaper or something sometime?

<grin> I even use it to approach ladies and ask if they can donate their features to my database. (Business card required and no overt drooling to chase them off)

I usually buy them a drink for their trouble.

What can I say? I'm shameless.

The Lech.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2002, 02:03 PM
Olympus and Kodak confirm 'Four Thirds System'

Excerpt from dpreview website announcing possible new standard in digital cameras.

"Current digital SLR cameras with interchangeable lenses are essentially based on conventional 35 mm camera systems. As a result, they must be equipped with image sensors that are comparable in size to 35 mm and APS film. However, because the imaging characteristics of these large CCDs are fundamentally different from those of film, a number of issues can prevent them from achieving their full performance potential. These include the following:
"... To achieve the resolutions required by the micron pitch of today's CCDs, the demands of optical design tend to result in the use of larger and heavier lenses.

Moreover, manufacturers of the digital SLR camera systems have until now adopted the mounting systems used in their own respective 35 mm film SLR cameras, making bodies and lenses produced by different manufacturers incompatible with one another.

In light of these circumstances, the new Four Thirds System standard was conceived to facilitate the design and development of digital SLR cameras and lenses that maximise the performance potential of digital imaging sensors, and provide users with product advantages such as compact size, handling ease, and enhanced functionality.

The major benefit of Four Thirds System is that it will allow the design of dedicated, high-performance digital camera lens systems that are more compact than their 35 mm film SLR camera lens counterparts. The impact of the more compact lens size will be especially marked on telephoto lenses, making it possible to produce a Four Thirds System 300 mm telephoto lens, for example, that offers performance equivalent to a 600 mm lens on a 35 mm film SLR camera." (end of excerpt)

Sounds like an excellent idea, but there is a negative for those of us who have kept their film-camera lenses in anticipation of using them in the future on a high-end digital WHEN prices come down. If this standard is accepted by all, then future digital cameras will not accept present-day camera lenses.

prototype camera -- at Photokina show

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 09-26-2002 at 02:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2002, 04:00 PM
Junior meet Liesel

Hi Sanda

Glad you found a camera that you like.. This is Liesel our friends dog..I thought Junior would like her..This was taken with a cannon g2 on programed Ae setting..I really like this camera..I'm sure you will like yours when you learn all of the capabilities..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg liesel.jpg (88.7 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2002, 10:48 PM
Jerry, what a cuuuuute lil doggy! And the picture is nice and sharp too, so your camera does a good job. I'm still waiting for more pixels at lower cost...maybe a few more years?

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2002, 02:03 PM
I am looking forward to Olympus' next offerings. Hopefully a 6-7 MP SLR at a sensible price for wedding work
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2002, 10:05 AM
Has anyone used Canon A40?
Does anyone hate their camera?
Read all these replies with great interest as I am shopping for my first digi camera. Actually it was my Xmas present from my hubby last year !! Currently all my work is from scanning for restoration/retouching.
It sounds like everyone is happy with their choice. I am dizzy from reading the details on etc. Every time I think I've made a decision another camera sounds good to me . Price is definitly a factor. I want at least 2mp and optical zoom. And possibly some manual control. Glad someone mentioned the hotshoe so I will be sure to include one.
I want to use a bright viewfinder as that is what I'm used to but I do wear glasses. Can anyone comment on viewfinders on various cameras.
Does everyone go over the using the LCD instead of viewfinder. If so how important is size to those of us sight deprived folks.?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2002, 10:27 AM
My Olympus C-2100UZ (ultra zoom) is now discontinued, I believe, but has some features that you're interested in hearing about. It has a 10x optical zoom, and an electronic viewfinder that matches the view on the larger LCD. I'm sight deprived, but with the zoom to help me, I don't use my glasses to compose/focus my image. After I've taken a few shots, I can look at them on the large LCD (or viewfinder) and ZOOM in to see all parts of the images that I've taken -- to check for eye blinks, bad focus, poor lighting, background, etc., etc. IF the subject is something that hasn't already flown away or stopped doing what I wanted to capture in an image -- then this really helps me to re-take a better photo. It allows for an external flash, but ONLY an Olympus one -- someone's made digital flashes that are supposed to work on most or all of them, but I haven't tried them.

I've found the viewfinder quite bright, and the 2 megapixel quality is good for smaller images (4x6, 5x7).

If you haven't already checked out's camera reviews, I would do so. (I know, it's really hard looking through so much info about so many cameras -- there's so many that sound good! GOOD NEWS IS -- a LOT of them are good! You'll be happy with whatever one you get after checking out those features that are important to YOU... and then you'll want a new one in a couple of years that has NEW features!

dpreview -- digital camera reviews

Canon A-40

Another excellent website for reviews:
Steve's Digicam Reviews

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 09-30-2002 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2002, 11:25 AM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
My daughter recently asked me for a recommendation on a digital camera in the $350.00 range. After checking out a few different models, I thought the Nikon 880 seemed like a good choice since it accepts add-on lenses, it's a top name in the camera industry, Nikon is known for good quality lenses, and the 880 offers manual control (which many don't offer). I don't remember if it has a hot shoe or not. If I remember correctly, it's around 3.4 megapixels. I found the camera from around $330.00 up to $450.00 or so online. One thing I recommend, if you live in the U.S., is to make sure the vendor offers a U.S. warranty. The one I found at $330.00 offered a 4 month U.S. warranty, and a three year extension could be bought for an extra $39.00 (I think that was the price). This camera also had some other virtues that might be welcomed. If I were in the market to buy another camera, I would seriously consider this one. There are, however, many cameras available today that are worthwhile cameras, as had been mentioned. What price range are you looking at, and what do you hope to do with the images? Best of luck on your choice, and let us know what you wind up with.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware