RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Windows vs Apple

Old 04-03-2007, 11:07 AM

Re: Windows vs Apple

I second Swampy and Kyo. I retired 4 years ago. After working with Intel computers for 20 years, I switched to a Mac Powerbook G4. When i got it home and turned it on, it found my network without a problem. It took less than an hour to get used to it. The biggest problem I had was the 1-button touch pad and I solved it by purchasing a cheap 3 button mouse for it.

Last year, I dumped my PC and bought a 20" Intel iMac. The only thing I had to do was transfer my Photoshop CS2 license from the PC to the Mac. I haven't looked back since. I didn't like the one button mouse so I bought an Apple Might Mouse. It has worked flawlessly for me so far. The only thing i woule like to see is more Mac-compatible extras for Photoshop, but that's not such a big thing.

I reinstalled Windows XP on the PC and gave it to my wife. I installed Word and Excel on it because we have a lot of documents in both programs. These are the only Microsoft programs I have on the Mac. It just makes it easier for use when we're working together on a project.

My wife constantly downloads updates and patches, etc.. She has had trouble with it locking up on occasion and I have to come to her rescue.

Now if I can just get more proficient in Photoshop, I'll be a happy camper.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2007, 03:28 PM

I've got a intel QE6600 PC
installed it with OSX native just to run aperture. yap PC with OSX.

well it's about the same speed with vista. no diff.

the only real diff is that PC can overclock. currently running a QE6600 2.4Ghz at 4.5Ghz. air cooling.

Last edited by tetsuo; 04-03-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2007, 05:18 PM

You've got me interested in Apple..but it seems I'd have to take a big hit buying software if I want to be compatible with Apple software. I hear what you are saying about using windows xp on a Mac but lets say I worked on a photo in a windows application could I drag it over to a Mac application? In addition I would want to keep buy windows applications to support the window format. If I bought CS3 for example for Mac I'd have to repurchase plug in's to support the new format..right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2007, 08:26 AM

Skydog,

A PS file that you do on a PC can be opened in the Mac version with the caveat that you are using the same version of PS on both platforms in that your file does not contain features or new capabilities that an older version may not have. You can get around this by saving out as a flat TIFF file that can be opened in any version of PS.

Yes, you would need Mac versions of your Plugins if you were using the Mac version of PS. Many actions, brushes, textures etc are cross platform compatible though.

Since Adobe allows for full installation of its products on up to two computers (under one registration number), They may allow for one install as Mac and the other as PC. I do know that Adobe used to offer a great package of the CS suite especially for professionals that included BOTH PC/Mac versions in one purchase. I think it was called "Adobe Partner's". The total cost was about $600,
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2007, 09:23 AM

"In addition I would want to keep buy windows applications to support the window format."

Hi Skydog,

if the hands-on experience of actual switchers is any indication you will NOT "want to keep buy windows applications to support the window format". Why would you? It doesn't make sense to spend money on apps you never use...

Have fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2007, 03:21 AM

Red face Re: Windows vs Apple

Hi there,
when it comes to photoshop I believe that there isn't a great difference between the two performance / usage wise. Most of your plug ins should be cross platform compatible. I have found that the mac is a lot better at creating DVDs, etc. Also as other people have mentioned macs just work. You can turn them on straight out of the box and within a few minutes you can be up and surfing the internet, creating DVDs, and photoshopping.
Macs are dearer than their PC counterparts, but then it is like buying a Volkswagen and a Porsche......
Just my 2 cents.
Drew.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2007, 05:00 AM
Janitor

People can (and have) taken both sides on issues of cost, usability, speed, etc. And frankly, if it's just you and your computer working alone, either for your own pleasure or for a living, then you can let your research lead you where it leads you. The computer that's best for you is the one you like the most.

But one thing no one ever seems to talk about is working in a professional, collaborative imaging environment. In that case, there is a serious advantage to working on a Mac. And I'm not talking about compatibility or communications or interoperability or anything else like that. It's more a cultural thing, akin to your wardrobe or what accent you speak with.

I've lost work because I use Windows. And I work freelance from my home. And I work as a writer and editor, not as a photographer or retoucher. So even though I'll never touch their machines, never work on their files, never communicate with their network, never share software, or even meet these people in person, I've still lost jobs because I "speak with the wrong accent".

Granted, it's only happened a couple of times, but I know from speaking with others that it's even more pronounced for those interviewing to work on staff. It may sound outrageous, or unfair, but working on a Mac will give you the same disadvantage if you're hoping to work in other industries (finance, sales, engineering, etc.).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2007, 08:19 AM

Doug...

>>>but working on a Mac will give you the same disadvantage if you're hoping to work in other industries (finance, sales, engineering, etc.).
I don't know if that is true or not. Might be true if you were in IT, but most job applications that I see in the paper just say "Must have working knowledge of (insert program name here)". Never a mention of which platform Mac/PC.

As fully demonstrated by this very forum, people with a working knowledge of similar programs achieve sellable results regardless of the platform they are working on. I'm totaly lost when someone here gives tutorials in PSP because I use Photoshop. So, my "accent" is Photoshop, yours might be Painter, but the hardware has little bearing save for the programs that are availbe for it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2007, 10:38 AM

My interests are photo retouch, photo effects, and doing faux-art renderings on photos. Although both platforms will run Photoshop and Painter, many of the third party plugins and specialty tools are PC only.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 05-09-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
As fully demonstrated by this very forum, people with a working knowledge of similar programs achieve sellable results regardless of the platform they are working on. I'm totaly lost when someone here gives tutorials in PSP because I use Photoshop. So, my "accent" is Photoshop, yours might be Painter, but the hardware has little bearing save for the programs that are availbe for it.
Like prejudice, snobbery has no sense or value to it.

The people who judge others by what software or platform they use are not usually swayed by the fact that you produce outstanding work on your programme/platform of choice, just that you don't use the one they want you to and that therefore you should be shunned.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware