RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Windows vs Apple

Old 04-02-2007, 04:49 PM

Windows vs Apple

I need to upgrade my computer. I currently use Windows XP. Over the years I've been told that Apple is the way to go for those who are into photography, video, graphic design, etc. Is this still true? Is there still a strong differential between an Apple and the Windows format?

Does anyone have a strong case for Apple? What are the advantages? What about all the software I've already purchased for Windows? Would I get a discount if I transferred applications? What about upgrades like CS3?
What about my plug-ins from a 3rd party?

If I stay windows do you have any recommendations? Dell, HP, etc? It seems one can buy a lot for less than $1,500
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2007, 05:15 PM

Re: Windows vs Apple

hi,
this is my opinion, years ago I would have recommended apple for serious grphics and movie editing... however that was about 10-15 years.. a big difference I do not believe there is that much difference any more....

and from mac fan I'll probably get ping on ...lol.....

I think maybe the strong points of apple right now is... it a little more user friendly, there using a more mature OSx operating system , a little more safer against malware, there gui interphase for things more smoother than your wintell ( a windows/intell system) . and heard very good things about there teck support...

the big drawbacks for apple is low variety of software avail and high cost.....

your wintell machines in general are much more powerfull and faster... much larger variety of programs and cost less...

if you go the apple route... your not going to get any discounts for your software.. smile... however depending on the apple model... you can load along with OSx , windows xp and using a program llike bootcamp run your windows xp programs.... but I am not real familiar with that process talk to some one who has that setup already...

as far as which wintel system...mmm. Dell tech support been poor the last 3 or 4 years..... gateway and emachine has gotten better,, right now I think i would lean toward HP!! however..... I always prefer a customize machine....!!! from a good reputable shop... you get to determine what parts and how you want the system put together.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog
I need to upgrade my computer. I currently use Windows XP. Over the years I've been told that Apple is the way to go for those who are into photography, video, graphic design, etc. Is this still true? Is there still a strong differential between an Apple and the Windows format?

Does anyone have a strong case for Apple? What are the advantages? What about all the software I've already purchased for Windows? Would I get a discount if I transferred applications? What about upgrades like CS3?
What about my plug-ins from a 3rd party?

If I stay windows do you have any recommendations? Dell, HP, etc? It seems one can buy a lot for less than $1,500
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2007, 05:42 PM

Thank you for your feedback. Just a comment. I've had terrible customer service support from HP. In the past, I've own many of their products from scanners, to PDA's, to computers. When I had a problem it was hell getting a real person on the phone and when I finally did the service and support was terrible. Is HP better now?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2007, 05:58 PM

I've lurked here for a while and never posted, but here's finally something I feel I have enough knowledge of to post about it.

I was a windows user for many years, and a couple years ago converted to purely mac. Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages and you have to weigh them on your own to decide which is best for you. Below is a quick list.. Please note that these are only my opinions from my own experience, having worked tech help lines and been dealing with computers for many years.

Apple -

Advantages - No viruses, malware, spyware, or stability problems. To put it simply, they just work. No complicated install/uninstall procedures (not even driver installs to run hardware usually), and no insane system registry to get clogged up with old installs. Very reliable, very stable, very difficult to crash. If something does go wrong, you have a keystroke command to shut down any program causing problems, that works 99.9% of the time (unlike alt+cntrl+del on windows, which occasionally works)

Disadvantages - Expensive (some would say overpriced), limited options on the system setups.. you are limited mostly to whatever apple is producing at the time with what options they happen to be offering. Not compatible with many programs, though for image processing it's not really a problem.

________

Windows based -

Advantages - you can get a powerful system for a low price, compatible with almost any software.

Disadvantages - Many virus/malware/etc problems, though these can be mostly prevented with proper system care. Prone to crashing, require a lot of disk maintenance to keep things running smoothly. New windows vista is a MASSIVE system hog, and requires a lot of power to function properly, meaning you need to go for a little higher up system to get the same performance.

______

This is by no means a comprehensive list, and clearly you can see my bias towards apple, but that's simply the experience I have had. They just work.

So in my opinion, Apple is worth the extra cost. However, if working on a budget, you will get more bang for your buck with a windows system. Using the two systems is very much similar. The file structure is basically the same concept, and the keystrokes you are use to with windows are often exactly the same on a mac, you just use the apple/option keys instead of control/alt.

One last note.. with the new intel based mac systems, you now have the ability to run the windows os as a dual boot on the same machine, which lets you switch over to windows if there are some vital programs that you use that are windows only.. which pretty much eliminates the compatibility problems.

Kyle
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2007, 05:59 PM

hi,
as far as HP periheals I have always had good support over the years... now on the pc support... well 4 or 5 years ago hp was so so... and dell was good... but now dell is so so and hp been getting a lot of good reviews on thier teck support.... and that reflective in customer satisfaction surveys...
now of that is relative... smile...

otherwise I don't know what else to say... smile.. like i mentioned I always bought a customize machine... where I know the parts are good... and windows hasn't overly been tweaked... a lot of your brand computers will over tweak a system to make windows work with the hardware..

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog
Thank you for your feedback. Just a comment. I've had terrible customer service support from HP. In the past, I've own many of their products from scanners, to PDA's, to computers. When I had a problem it was hell getting a real person on the phone and when I finally did the service and support was terrible. Is HP better now?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2007, 07:30 PM

So it is a matter of performance. As far as the utilization of the software for page design, graphics, photos and video one would say they are equivalent?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2007, 08:00 PM

Scott Finnie, a Windows expert and writer for Computerwworld, decided to have a three-month trial of a Macintosh as his primary machine.

His experience of moving to the Mac platform is found in the following three Computerworld articles. He writes about his likes/dislikes, his problems, his search for Mac software, etc.

Be forewarned, these are lengthy articles. Listed in order of publication.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9004803

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9005712

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9010759

Pete
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2007, 02:48 AM

Additional cost of replacing Windows software with Mac software used to be a BIG consideration in a Windows --> Mac conversion.

Is that still true with the new WinTel Macs or does, say, Windows Photoshop CS2 or Windows Office 2003 run w/o problems on the new Macs?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2007, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyo
I've lurked here for a while and never posted, but here's finally something I feel I have enough knowledge of to post about it.

I was a windows user for many years, and a couple years ago converted to purely mac. Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages and you have to weigh them on your own to decide which is best for you. Below is a quick list.. Please note that these are only my opinions from my own experience, having worked tech help lines and been dealing with computers for many years.

Apple -

Advantages - No viruses, malware, spyware, or stability problems. To put it simply, they just work. No complicated install/uninstall procedures (not even driver installs to run hardware usually), and no insane system registry to get clogged up with old installs. Very reliable, very stable, very difficult to crash. If something does go wrong, you have a keystroke command to shut down any program causing problems, that works 99.9% of the time (unlike alt+cntrl+del on windows, which occasionally works)

Disadvantages - Expensive (some would say overpriced), limited options on the system setups.. you are limited mostly to whatever apple is producing at the time with what options they happen to be offering. Not compatible with many programs, though for image processing it's not really a problem.

________

Windows based -

Advantages - you can get a powerful system for a low price, compatible with almost any software.

Disadvantages - Many virus/malware/etc problems, though these can be mostly prevented with proper system care. Prone to crashing, require a lot of disk maintenance to keep things running smoothly. New windows vista is a MASSIVE system hog, and requires a lot of power to function properly, meaning you need to go for a little higher up system to get the same performance.

______

This is by no means a comprehensive list, and clearly you can see my bias towards apple, but that's simply the experience I have had. They just work.

So in my opinion, Apple is worth the extra cost. However, if working on a budget, you will get more bang for your buck with a windows system. Using the two systems is very much similar. The file structure is basically the same concept, and the keystrokes you are use to with windows are often exactly the same on a mac, you just use the apple/option keys instead of control/alt.

One last note.. with the new intel based mac systems, you now have the ability to run the windows os as a dual boot on the same machine, which lets you switch over to windows if there are some vital programs that you use that are windows only.. which pretty much eliminates the compatibility problems.

Kyle
Hey, Kyle... great 1st post. Keep 'em coming.

So if you boot Windows on a new Mac, doesn't that open one up to all the downsides of Windows native, i.e., drivers, registry hassles, etc?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2007, 08:42 AM

Danny

>>So if you boot Windows on a new Mac, doesn't that open one up to all the downsides of Windows native, i.e., drivers, registry hassles, etc?

Yes, it does.

Adobe offers a cross grade option for folks who need it. Contact their customer service.

Something that people don't talk about is the fact that When you buy a Mac you not only get premium hardware components (Apple controls what goes into the machine - hard drives, optical drives, sound card, etc. and controls the quality of the goods), but Apple also creates the Operating System that runs the hardware providing seamless and stable reliability and true Plug and Play compatability. The folks in Redmond attempt to create a single Operating System that will run on anything and drive everything creating a maze of dll files and registry files that often conflict with each other because no one is in control. If I see the Apple OS trademark on a third party keyboard, I KNOW it will work on my Mac. The manufacturer cannot put that trademark there unless Apple approves it.

I only have 3 third party drivers installed on my Mac. Epson Twain, Wacom Tablet, and Intel 5 button mouse. My Zip drive, external floppy drive, external Firewire CDR burner, 2 external firewire drives, iSight camera, Creature Speakers, 2 flash thumb drives, 2 Epson Printers, 1 HP PostScript laser printer, Bluetooth dongle, camera memory cards reader, USB midi interface, iPod Nano etc. never required the installment of third party drivers. All work just fine with native OSX drivers. Talk about Plug and Play! :-)

One of my latest additions was a wireless keyboard. I purchased a Bluetooth USB "dongle", plugged it into my monitor, ran the Apple Bluetooth utility and was up and running in about 15 seconds. It immediately recognized the Bluetooth capability of my Razor cell phone at the same time it was logging in the keyboard. It's almost magic! At the same time, my neighbor added Bluetooth card to his Gateway machine. Four hours later he finally managed to send a photo from his cell phone to his computer, but now he cannot print wirelessley from his laptop unless he disables the Bluetooth. There seems to be some dll or registry conflict or something.

My son spent two days with tech support at UCLA trying to get his new Think Pad laptop to see the University's wireless network. He came home for a short visit, booted up his Think Pad and was immediately online through my Apple Air Port base station. I'm telling you, it's magic!

My S/O had a client at the print shop that needed to upload about 35 JPEGS to a canned real estate web site. He went to their house to help them at 5:00 PM and worked until 12:00 AM on their new Sony Vaio. It kept locking up, freezing, multiple reboots, patches etc. He came home and got my old Power Book at 12:30 took it back to their house and set up a new user account on it for them and had the JPEGS uploaded in 15 minutes. He left my PB with them so they could finish adding the descriptive text the next day. When they brought my laptop back to him, they said they wished they had gotten a Mac instead of the Vaio.

My 85 year old uncle just bought a top of the line DELL. All tricked out with bells and whistles. He's running Win XP Pro. Well, he tries to run it. It stays online constantly downloading patches and malware fixes. He can't get his external speakers working or his midi interace (he plays clarinet in a swing band and uses Band in A Box software). DELL tech support has had him reinstall the OS about 4 times, tinker this, trash that. Still no joy. I can plug his USB speakers into my laptop and they work fine through either iTunes or Garage Band. I ran out of USB ports on my laptop, but once I added a USB hub and plugged in his midi interface, his Roland worked fine with Garage Band.

The point I'm trying to make is...Four different computers. All probably decent hardware, but combined with a Swiss Army Knife Operating System from Microsoft, they all had problems doing things that people just "want to do" on their computers. Once you are "in" a program, they all work about the same. PhotoShop on the PC is almost identical to PhotoShop on the Mac. It boils down to a solid Operating System that is designed to serve the external devices and treat memory protection, port access and drivers between applications with respect. Anyone who developes hardware or software for Apple computers MUST stick to the rules so that everyone and everything will "play nice" and THINGS JUST WORK!

Last edited by Swampy; 04-03-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware