Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Logitech, NuLOOQ Navigator. Review.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Logitech, NuLOOQ Navigator. Review.

I suppose in a way you can call me a bit of a technophobe, new technologies are a bit scary. When I first plugged the Nulooq into the computer it lit up with little blue LEDs and I recoiled from it because I wasn't expecting it. I was excited that it had arrived and wanted to use it but was unsure of what it did or what it could do and I didn’t want to break it. I have been using the Nulooq for about a week and must say I like it. I don't know all it's capabilities as yet, but I am working them out.

The first thing that amazed me about it was the weight. It is quite heavy, which is good. This means that it doesn't move when being used. Most of the peripherals which I have connected to the computer are really light weight and this makes a refreshing change. It fits into the hand nicely and is easy to operate, once you know how. After twisting and turning the ring, pushing and pulling as well as tapping on different parts you soon learn what does what on this cool little gadget.

After the initial recoil, I gently, almost gingerly, put my hand on the "Gizmo" and attempted to put it to work. Nothing happened. Out of the box it is configured to work with CS2, I am using CS3, and I thought that maybe it would work with CS3 anyway. I was wrong, and after a bit of research on the net by my partner and myself we discovered that there is a driver on the Logitech site for CS3.

When the download was complete I reinstalled the driver and opened photoshop and followed the directions which popped up on the screen. This is a one time only thing. You have to set up a keyboard shortcut for the Nulooq, and that's it, you're away. And don’t forget to setup the config for the Nulooq to use it in the program you are using.

Once again I put my hand on the Nulooq. I was so gentle with it, I didn’t know how much pressure to use; it looked, and felt, as though I was treating it like a new born baby. I twisted the ring and it zoomed in. I twisted again, in the opposite direction and it zoomed out. “Success!” I thought and gave an inward cheer.

Before this I had only quickly had a look at the Quick start guide. Now I had a better look. “What else does this thing do?” Tapping the ring will make it scroll horizontally or vertically and it even scrolls diagonally, but not as quickly as the others. It sometimes leaves behind a bit of a blur in the image when you scroll diagonally. This is the only problem I have found with it to date.

It also has configurable triggerpoints on top. I haven’t played with all of these yet. There is a triggerpoint which looks like a square. In photoshop, when activated, it increases and decreases the size, opacity, hardness and flow of the brush you are working with. When this is activated you run your finger lightly around the top of the dial and it increases, (go right), or decreases, (go left), the size of the tool you are using.

Even though I was a little afraid of it to start with I wouldn’t be without it now. I no longer need to go to the keyboard to zoom or scroll or change the attributes of brushes and other tools. I think once I have used it for a bit longer and get more used to it, it will be a time saver as well.

Overall I think it is another good tool for Photoshoppers to have in their arsenal.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware