RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

What scanner do you use??

Old 03-07-2002, 03:49 PM

What scanner do you use??

I'm making a list of equipment for my new business and am wondering if I should add a new scanner to my list.

I'm currently using a Canon CanoScanFB630U and it's fine for most things, but I don't have a lot of experience with different scanners so my opinion doesn't count.

While we're at it, if money was no object, what computer, scanner and printer would you have - digital camera too.

Thanks for your input

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2002, 03:55 PM

Thats a difficult question. By the time you've hauled your ultimate PC/printer/scanner/ camera combination home and finally got it to work in harmony hey presto its obsolete !!!

Cheers................
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2002, 04:11 PM

Hi Margaret!

I use an Epson 2450. I have had it for several months and I love it! I've used it to scan prints, 35mm slides and Med. format negatives and been more than pleased with the results. However, if I was going to start a business, I would opt for a dedicated film scanner along with a flatbed. I'm only doing a few jobs a month, so the 2450 is more than adequate.

Doug actually started a thread in the Salon about an ultimate computer system.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2002, 04:13 PM

I hear you Chris- I just got a new computer before Christmas and already I wish I would have gotten the next one up. My latest printer is only 2 months old but it's not up to snuf for printing photos, but much better than the one I had before.

My problem is that this pending unemployment came as a bit of a surprise and the opprotunity to go into business for myself is the result. Fortunately they are giving me a bit of a golden handshake so I can buy good equipment.

Cheers,
Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2002, 04:42 PM

Margaret

I'm afraid the 'ultimate' is a point always moving away from you!
Just float round the site you'll soon get a feel for what people are using(mainly Epson printers/scanners. If you do upgrade always make sure you wait till you can double the processor speed and get the biggest tower case so there's plenty of room for upgrades and add ons. Cobble your old bits into a backup machine for when your main machine falls over.

C
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2002, 05:44 PM

For scanning I use an Epson 2450 ( just got it...love it!!) and a Minolta scan multi II for negatives. Printer wise, I will probably replace my current Epson 1270 with their 2000 when my old one finally croaks...Rather than a brand name computer, I use ones assembled from off the shelf components...makes repaire a lot easier...Get all the speed and RAM you can afford...large capacity hard drives, firewire and USB connectivity, and so on....just my thoughts...Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2002, 06:00 PM

I got the Epson 1650 Photo and I love it. It's got the built in transparency adapter to do slides and 35mm negatives. I can't compare it to the other Epsons mentioned but I can say that I have had excellent experience with Epson products.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2002, 01:14 AM

I have a Microtek Artixscan 1100 flatbed which has the capability of scanning transparency in a second "bed" under the reflective bed. It works great for reflective work, and for negatives and slides it is a fine way to catalog them, or produce screen resoulution files.

The software that comes with this is the ScanWizard Pro, which is miles ahead of the Umax software I used to use. You can do levels, curves, color correction and adjust hue and saturation all on the scanner, plus if you put multiple pictures on the bed (or load 12 slides in the tray) you can adjuste each individually and then scan all of them at once. It is great for doing a lot of scanning quickly. The main thing though is that the quality of the scans is excellent.

I have a photo that I scanned on both my old UMAX and the Microtek, I did the best job I could on both machines. The differences are very clear. The Microtek is sharper and the tonal separation is much better.

I wish I could get a good look at the Epson scanners so many here are using. They are very popular and everyone seems to like them. I often wonder if spending the extra money for the Artixscan has been compensated for by the advances in technology, ie. do the new Epsons give equivelent quality because they use newer technology, even though they cost much less?

-tks
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2002, 03:26 AM

Tim, I'll try to answer your question. I doubt there is much of a difference as far as scanning reflective media, but I would venture to guess that scans of transparencies are a bit sharper on your Microtek. I guess what one would consider a "quality" scanner is relative to what your goals are. If I were scanning a negative to become a magazine cover, the Epson 2450 would not fit my needs!

I have used high-end scanners, such as the Scitex EverSmart Pro, and you can tell a huge difference in scan quality between that and a "home" scanner. I'm not sure your Microtek is at the EverSmart's level, but it is a fantastic scanner and I would think it is a bit sharper than any of the Epsons. Plus, you can scan a batch of 12 slides and if I recall, there is no glass between the CCD and the transparencies?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2002, 11:09 AM

G.

You are correct that the transparency holders don't have glass between the original and the CCD.

I am sure the Microtek is not in the same league as the Scitex, It was, when I bought it, the cheapest scanner a friend in the printing business considered acceptable. The problem with all this computer technology is that there is such rapid advancement that today's top of the line may be so outmoded in a couple of months that you can't give it away...

--tks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware