Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Epson Stylus Photo 890/1280

Old 03-18-2002, 05:09 PM
Wow!!!!! what I great response I got from everyone. Margaret thanks for the link, but my understanding of the article was that Epson 1280 and 890 are very similar except for the paper????

After reading everyone's responses, should I just bight the bullet and spend the extra money to get the 1280????
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2002, 05:38 PM
It seems to me that the difference between the 890 and the 1280 is the paper size. The 1280 can print larger size paper and comes with the holder for roll paper. It looks like the 890 can handle rolls too, but it doesn't say if the roll holder comes with it (I think not)

I think I'm going to put the money into a 1280. I like to see how a print is turning out.

Thanks for the support regarding the compitition - I could have been a good customer of his, but now I am the compitition!!

And now the dreaded calibration topic has raised it's head - I suppose I also need tools to calibrate everything........?

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2002, 06:20 PM
The only things you need to calibrate are your eyes and a little isnt as hard or mysterious as it sounds, just a bit tedious...creating a custom profile, i.e., making adjustments in the printer software program and then saving them, isnt rocket science, despite what some may say. When you get ready to do it, just post...lots of folks here are willing and able to help.
Leerod...If you plan on doing some large prints ( and sooner or later the urge will strike) the 1280 or 2000 is the way to go. Longevity of prints is greater with the 2000 but at a steeper cost in both initial equipment and supplies. One of the major keys to longevity besides proven ink/paper combination is proper display methods and that cant be stressed enough. You just cant hang a photo on the refrigerator door unprotected or in direct sun/flourescent light and expect it to last...high humidity is a killer also but simply displaying in a frame under glass or in a protective sleeve in an album will help extend the life of any photomechanical print. Plus, as inks and papers continue to evolve, longevity becomes less and less a problem. Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2002, 09:43 PM
$550 for an Epson inkjet!?

Other responses are right on. The 1270/1280 is a wide carriage version of the same printer and can print (I think!) up to 11x17. It does take bigger ink cartriges, which can be more economical, and some people buy the wide carriage version just for that reason.

But $550 for an 890 is ridiculously expensive. Three months ago I paid $94 for a new-in-box (ok, probably factory refurbished but it wasn't advertised that way) Epson 870 with which I have printed many a fantastic 8x10, absolutely no fading. This thing is absolute gold, and for less than a hundred bucks. The 890 is very nearly exactly the same machine. It's great, but don't spend that kind of money on it if you don't have to!

printer: bought from Amocool on eBay, it arrived promptly and I have had no complaints

ink: seems to be cheapest and they ship fast. Epson color cartridges at $14--they don't appear to carry the black one any more, but I have yet to change it and I'm on color #3. Do NOT bother to experiment with third party inks, they all suck and they will void your warranty.

paper: Epson Colorlife is a nice archival semi-gloss but it's very expensive ($10 for box of 20 sheets letter size). Epson Heavyweight Matte is a fantastic inexpensive paper ($8-12 for a box of 50 letter size) with a ceramic matte coating. There are glossy papers to be had if you really want them. Again, don't bother with third-party papers and/or inks.

I hope this helps!

Added a few minutes later:
I found the Epson 890 at for $258.95:

Last edited by kaulike; 03-20-2002 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2002, 09:57 PM
Re: $550 for an Epson inkjet!?

Looks like Leerod is in Australia, so that $550 might be in Australian dollars - or it might be a hefty import tax (or both.) His location also limits his online purchase options to those sites which will ship to Australia. -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2002, 10:08 PM
$550 is in Aussie dollars our $ is runing at about 52c US at the moment. We have online store here but the prices are all very similar to that Leerod quoted for the 890. I've saved my pennies and just bought an Epson 2000p which set me back $1800. We Aussies look at your prices with envy,even knowing that any price we see in US dollars is about double in ours.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2002, 01:08 AM
Mea Culpa

Thank you to all for reminding me that the global economy isn't completely global yet. Apparently I suffer from the typical American consumer complex that plagues so many of us. I will look next time before making silly assumptions!

For Oz, I wonder if it might be easier to find mail or order in Japan for Epson products...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware