RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

wacom cintiq

Old 09-24-2007, 02:16 PM

wacom cintiq

anyone got any thoughts/reviews on this thing?

http://wacom.com/cintiq/
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2007, 12:49 AM

Re: wacom cintiq

I am an independent rep for the Wacom line of products and I know their products very well.

The Cintiq is an amazing tablet which costs a lot more than the other products in their line and it is worth it for sure.

It is simply and LCD screen that connects to your computer and you do your work directly on the screen. This product was created to meet the needs of those folks who spend 10 or 12 hours a day working in the digital field.

The feedback from these professionals is that it saves them time and it is easier for them to work than with the professional line of tablets called the Intuos.

Built into the Cintiq are 8 programmable express keys and two programmable slide switches.

The pen is ergonomically designed to be used for hours without causing fatigue.

the base is adjustable up and down (from almost flat on a desk to almost 90 upright).

The levels of pressure and the high resolution make it a dream to use.

The whole thing is designed for ease of use.

If you can afford it and don't mind waiting for one then it is a great investment. For most people one of the Intuos 3 tablets would be fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberg605 View Post
I am an independent rep for the Wacom line of products and I know their products very well.

The Cintiq is an amazing tablet which costs a lot more than the other products in their line and it is worth it for sure.

It is simply and LCD screen that connects to your computer and you do your work directly on the screen. This product was created to meet the needs of those folks who spend 10 or 12 hours a day working in the digital field.

The feedback from these professionals is that it saves them time and it is easier for them to work than with the professional line of tablets called the Intuos.

Built into the Cintiq are 8 programmable express keys and two programmable slide switches.

The pen is ergonomically designed to be used for hours without causing fatigue.

the base is adjustable up and down (from almost flat on a desk to almost 90 upright).

The levels of pressure and the high resolution make it a dream to use.

The whole thing is designed for ease of use.

If you can afford it and don't mind waiting for one then it is a great investment. For most people one of the Intuos 3 tablets would be fine.
Thanks for the advertisment j/k

A few thoughts on this, I haven't actually used one, but I do have a buddy of mine in another shop who has used one.

His review was basically that he's so used to working with a tablet bleow him, that the change slows him down considerably and is difficult to adjust to.

My thoughts... I think it's an amazing idea, but I would consider the extreme change in your posture while working, I imagine you would be hunched over and it would do a number on your neck.

I do think this has potential to be a great soft proofing monitor... art directors could mark up on screen, I would imagine they would feel more comfortable considering they usually just draw all over the proofs. The problem here is that the monitor is not SWOP certified.

I think with better color managment and all that fun stuff, it could be a great tool (are you listening Wacom?)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2007, 12:05 PM

I had a chance to try one out a few years ago.

If I had one(meaning afford one) I think I would welcome the less pressure of the base of the Intuos on my wrist/forearm underneath.
I could actually be able to hold it like the drawing pads I used to use so long ago and rotate it to where I wanted the canvas to face etc.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2007, 05:02 PM

Advertisement? Not so - just the facts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2007, 06:38 PM

I have one at work and use it all the time. I love it! I have it sitting up at about a 45 degree angle like an art table. I lowered my chair a little so I'm not hunching over all that much.

Not being able to get used to it seems like it ought to be nonsense, as it's much more like using a pen on paper without the disconnect of looking somewhere different than where you're working.

The Cintiq is expensive, but it is worth every penny. To me, the experience of using the Cintiq is as far above using an ordinary tablet, as using the ordinary tablet is above the mouse.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2007, 08:06 PM

What about color? How is it calibrated? And how much are we talking anyway $$$???

I need a new monitor and a new tablet- I've actually started wearing a hole in the surface of mine. I have a feeling it will be cheaper to buy a new monitor and a new tablet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnette View Post
What about color? How is it calibrated? And how much are we talking anyway $$$???

I need a new monitor and a new tablet- I've actually started wearing a hole in the surface of mine. I have a feeling it will be cheaper to buy a new monitor and a new tablet.
It's an LCD monitor, so it can be calibrated as any other LCD would. You can also create color profiles for it just as you could any other monitor.

As for cost... around $2,500 last I heard. But, if you do a lot of pen/tablet work it's worth every penny. It you ever get a chance to try one out, you'll probably be instantly hooked.

The whole thing kind of works like an art board. You can even physically rotate the whole thing to get a more comfortable drawing angle... just like you would a piece of paper. And although it's little heavy for it, I have kicked back, put my feet up, and used it in my lap before.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 01:26 PM

Can we get any more specs? Who makes the panel? Warranty? I assume it could also be used with an additional monitor or two? Viewing angles, Bit depth? Any other info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2007, 11:03 AM

Most of your questions should be answered at the Wacom website.

http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/index.cfm

Yes, you can use it with other monitors. Wacom has them made. Don't know exactly who owns the factory that makes them. You would have to call Wacom and ask. But, the other information can be found at the link above.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware