RetouchPRO (
-   Hardware (
-   -   Monitor type (

d_kendal 03-21-2002 09:37 PM

Monitor type
I was just curious what monitor technology people are using. here's an explanation of the types if you haven't heard of them:
Shadow Mask basically a metal sheet with tiny holes that the image passes through. generally more crisp and precise picture quality, but no flat screens with this technology. It's getting hard to find Shadow mask monitors anymore since it's being replaced by Aperture grille. (I'm using a 19" shadow mask monitor)
Aperture Grille uses vertical lines instead of the round holes to display. its held together by two thin wires ("Damper wires") that show up on the screen (espescially white) as thin greyish lines. Chances are, if your monitor is flat screen, its aperture grille (Sony's Trinitron is the same thing as aperture grille) Does anybody using an aperture grille monitor find this annoying when working on photo / design etc. projects? so far I've only really used shadow mask monitors.
LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) all Flat panel montiors and notebook screens are LCD. basically it's two glass plates with liquid crystal material in between. electronic signals turn on individual pixels. I haven't used LCD screens much, but I've heard that the pixels are quite big, and color and quality don't compare very well to shadow mask and aperture grille, so LCD isn't great for image editing.

If you don't know what kind your monitor is look in your manual or try he following test: Open Wordpad or something else with a white background and look closely at your screen. if you see two thin horizontal gray lines on your screen, then its aperture grille.

Thats about as much as I really know about monitor technology and if anything is wrong please correct me.
I'm using a 19" Samsung 950P Shadow mask monitor.

- David :)

G. Couch 03-21-2002 11:54 PM

Hey David!

Good description. The only thing I would add is that LCD is getting better and better each year. Some of the newer LCD are almost as sharp as the best CRTs. (especially some of the Apple displays I have seen). I think the future is with LCD, although they are still a few years away and still a bit too expensive.

There is a hybrid type of CRT called a slot mask. It's sort of a combination of shadow mask and Aperture grill, but I'm not sure it ever caught on.

I used a shadow mask CRT (Viewsonic 17ps) up until the middle of last year. Thatís when I upgraded my system and decided to splurge on a 19" Trinitron. In my opinion, if you want crisp, bright, and glare free images, Aperture Grill is the way to go! The damper lines were a bit distracting at first, but the benefits far out way the two faint little lines. I hardly notice them now, and when I do, I just say to myself, "you are the nice little wires that help make my screen so nice!".... Ok, I don't really say that! :D

d_kendal 03-22-2002 12:10 AM

Hi Greg,

thats quite interesting about the LCDs. I have't really looked at them much, and from what I've seen I wasn't too impressed, so I'm glad to hear that they're getting better. If the flat panel monitors get equal to shadow mask/ aperture grille for quality I'd definitely be interested in them. my current monitor takes up almost my whole desk and its so heavy its starting to bend my table in at the middle:D

- David

G. Couch 03-22-2002 12:23 AM

I know what you mean about the bending table! I thought my desk was going to crack in two. So far it has warped a bit but I think it's stable. (I hope!) If I get around to it I'll post a pic in the "work space" thread.

G. Couch 03-22-2002 12:28 AM

Look at the bright side (bad monitor pun), for my first computer, a Commodore 64, I had to use a 13" color TV!

Ed_L 03-22-2002 07:37 AM

Like Greg, I'm using an aperture grill, and at the beginning, it was noticeable. When I first used the monitor, quite often I mistakingly thought the lines were part of the image, but after using it for a short time it became non-problematic. Don't even notice them any more. I'm happy with mine.


jeaniesa 03-22-2002 11:27 AM

I'm also using a Trinitron (aperture grill) monitor. I don't even notice the lines any more - I have to really look to find them. Very rarely I'll think they're part of a photo I'm working on, but that doesn't last for more than a couple seconds before I just move the photo to reposition the part that I'm working on away from the line. -Jeanie

chris h 03-22-2002 11:54 AM

Same here, I use a Mitsubishi 19" and the lines are virtually invisible. Probably get an LCD eventually but space is not at a premium here the desk comprising mahogany planks rescued from a ruined house.

DJ Dubovsky 03-22-2002 11:56 AM

Well, I don't see any lines and from what you all say, they are pretty noticeable so I went with the shadow mask. I have a 21 inch View Sonic that is a few years old so I figure it must be the shadow mask, although that's the first I ever heard of that.
Not so sure I like the thought of lines running through my screen no matter how crisp things are. Think I'll wait til they figure out how to eliminate them. :D

d_kendal 03-22-2002 12:07 PM

wow, a 21 inch monitor!! that must be reeally nice for photo editing, it's big enough that you could have the original and the one you're working on side by side. I'm with DJ on waiting til they get rid of the lines. I've heard that they can be really annoying for anybody using CAD programs, since the lines can get confused with lines in the CAD designs.

- David

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved