RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Veho film scanner?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:22 PM

Veho film scanner?

This model has just been brought to my attention. It's the Veho VFS-001 USB film scanner. Cheapest around £60 so now I'm interested! Never heard of them before so has anyone experienced these?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2011, 06:15 AM

Re: Veho film scanner?

I've recently purchased a Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Slide Scanner (UK) and have mixed feelings about it. It cost 63 GBP (exc. p&p). So far, my requirement is to scan a small number of slides (<50 ?).

For those with lots of 35mm slides to scan, then the automated image pre-scan & 'single push' button approach is good, and for those whose requirements are not overly critical, then it could well be OK. And the resolution seems fine.

But there appear to be minor slide alignment issues which can lead to some cropping problems - although they can be partly corrected, at least lengthways (longest side), by slightly adjusting the slide holder when it's inserted into the scanner.

The two attached images indicate the comparable image scan against the slide:

1) in the holder for mounted slides, and,

2) in the holder for unmounted slides (NB the scanned image here is after some minor locational adjustment - by simply pushing the slide holder into the scanner by a further couple of m.m.).

The dimensions noted refer to the slide holder aperture.

I have also found with a slide photo in which the subject content is offset a bit (along the shorter axis), has been unduly cropped by the scanning, e.g., someone's head is right at the top edge of the scanned image. Turning the slide through 180 degrees in the holder didn't help in this case.

The slide used in the example is 1960 Agfacolour, and the *unmounted* slide holder has 4 lugs to locate the slide, but when located, the slide image doesn't sit centrally in the slide holder aperture - it's offset to the right. As noted above, this can be partly corrected, but even so a few m.m. on the right-hand side is cropped from the final scanned image. Perhaps the lugs were intended to accomodate slightly different slides ?

Others have mentioned the lack of control over illumination (it's automated).

Dave.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2011, 07:00 AM

Hi Dave
I need to get a lot of 35mm slides digitised and have been quoted £2 a pop from a local store. These are just old holiday images so I was thinking of getting a slide scanner as a cheaper option. You don't seem too keen on your Veho purchase so were there any other makes you think would do the job better? I'd rather leave the pix in the mounts while scanning, but obtaining decent resolution is most important. Any ideas appreciated.
(Regarding your attached pix; why not get one scanned elsewhere for comparison.)
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 AM

I had wondered about this: Epson Perfection V330 LED Photo Scanner (4800dpi) - there are some reviews on Amazon UK.

But I've not looked with much serious intent.

Dave.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Patron

I purchased an Epson V500 which can be had for around £150 £159 here

I have found it to be very good for the price and more than adequate for my needs (at least at the moment) with both reflectance and transmission sources. Only limitations are the film size max 21/4" sq and the slower speed of use compared to a dedicated film scanner. I had tried a Plustek (I think!) dedicated film/slide scanner but found that I could get better quality with the Epson flatbed.

I suppose it depends on what you require and how fast you need to work but unless you want to fork out for a Nikon Coolscan you may get what you need from the Epson or other flatbed range.

Anyway for me at £2.00 a pop it would make sense to buy your own - after 75 film scans it should have paid for itself
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2011, 06:16 AM

The comparison below may help others to decide whether or not the Veho VFS-008 would fulfill their needs, with reference to the final image resolution (.jpg file).

I've extracted a vendor's handwritten sign from a 1982 Kodak 35mm slide, and compared it with a scan of the corresponding 6" x 4" print, using the normal highest resolution setting for an HP ScanJet 4c flatbed scanner.

The Veho image for the full 35mm slide is 821 kb (.jpg 72 px/inch; held in the Veho unmounted slide holder), and the comparable HP print image is 2,239 kb (.tif 200 px/inch; scan setting 'sharp millions of colours').

Considering the differences in image resolution, then the results are much as I would have expected, and I wonder whether many home users looking for a simple solution would have much concern about the Veho VFS-008 resolution ? Maybe not ...

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Veho VFS-008 35mm & HP ScanJet 4c Print 1982.jpg (76.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg HP ScanJet 4c 1982 Print.jpg (87.6 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Patron

The comparison is useful to a degree I think, however is limited due to the fact that the scanned media is different i.e. one transmission and one reflectance. To see the true difference a comparison of scanners using the original slide would be of the most benefit.

I do agree that for many home users the Veho or similar may be perfectly acceptable and at a particularly low price point.

EDIT: Thought it strange the OP had not commented yet - have you noticed the original post date 10/04/2007
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2011, 09:01 AM

Does your Epson scan B/W and colour negs Tony? I was only looking for a 35mm transparency scanner but negs would be a bonus.
Considering your tight crop Dave, that enlargement isn't too bad at all.
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Patron

Hi R,
Yes it can scan B&W and colour negs (remember though the limit on this model of 6x6cm max). I usually scan B&W as colour anyway. Selection of first scans below - it may be of some help with your decision:

Colour images shot on 35mm Fuji colour neg film 400 ISO. B&W shot on 35mm B&W either FP4 or Tri-X (cannot remember which). All images as acquired from the scanner with all auto stuff turned off (including sharpening etc) prior to manipulation in PS

1st image final image size 4468x2960 pixels at res 767 pix/in = 75.7Mb file size

2nd image final size 4534x3024 pixels = 78.5Mb file size

3rd image 400% crop of 2nd image

4th image 35mm B&W negative

Hope you find this of some use. BTW after editing you can end up with some pretty sizeable files

Regards
Tony

EDIT: If it is of any help will scan a neg for you if you care to post one to me with a reply envelope and will send original back and post a link so that you retrieve via the net. Just pm me if interested
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FujiboatMersey.jpg (98.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg TallShips.jpg (97.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Tallships400.jpg (92.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg paulB&W.jpg (96.8 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Tony W; 02-12-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2011, 05:30 PM

That is a really useful set of pix Tony. I reckon the Epson will do the job! I have a pile of travel slides I shot in 1980 (Kodak and Fuji) and since then I haven't really sat down and looked at them. I'm looking forward to seeing the detail and a much younger me!
Thank you for the kind offer of a test scan; I'll take a look at the scanner specs first and if any doubts remain I'll take you up on it. Cheers.
R.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware