RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Firefox help (i think)

Old 10-06-2007, 07:16 AM

Firefox help (i think)

Can any body shed some light on this for me
We have just changed pc and am using firefox 2.o.o7 on vista home editon (1st time with FF)
A week ago i had a slight problem with not being able to use the attachment management button, I had a discussion with swampy here

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/web...tml#post169236

the problem went away but yesterday it is back but worse not only the manage attachment button is missing but so is the go advanced one, when i click on the quick links button that dosent work either, or the smilies etc

I also have a problem with dpreview i cant see any threads there at all ( hence why i think it is firefox )
I have allowed pop ups for this site but there is no difference.
yesterday two things did happen i had a window come up asking me if firefox was my default browser which i clicked yes to ( as i thought it was ) and there was a update for firefox
The get around to this is to use IE which is on this machine as well ( although i havent used it till this morning) or i have access to it on the old pc
Sorry for the long post but tried to include as much info as i could, It is getting confusing and i dont really want to run the two browsers

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Janitor

Re: Firefox help (i think)

Try running Firefox in safe mode (the browser, not Windows).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 09:52 PM

Palms, I hope that Doug's recommendation helps.

If you click on "Tool" in your Firefox menu, and choose "Add-ons" -- what extensions do you have listed? I wonder if one of them is causing a conflict. My only "problem" is the add-on "No Script" - it protects me from processes on new websites until I tell it to allow them, and some pages can be blank until I give my permission. Have you ever been able to view DPreview forums on Firefox before today?

I'm hoping that you and Gary R. get to talk since I think he will have some ideas. Firefox has really worked well for me, and I trust it more than IE, so I think there's a solution to your problems - but I don't know what the solution is Have you tried clearing your browser cache?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2007, 01:06 AM

Hi palms,

Sounds like you may have javascript disabled.

This can be due to a plug-in like NoScript, or because one of the settings in Firefox has been changed (javascript is enabled by default).

Click Tools > Options > Content and ensure Enable Javascript is checked. If it is already checked, click on the Advanced button beside it, and check that Disable or replace context menus and Move or resize existing windows are checked. Change and OK things if necessary.

If you have No Script installed, check to ensure the site giving problems has been "allowed". Look at the bottom right corner of your browser window and there will be a S click on this to reveal the options menu. Select allow to allow javascript on the site you're viewing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2007, 03:12 AM

Just a quick thank you i will look at your suggestions later as i have 3 grandkids claiming attention at the moment and they all want to go onto the cbeebies web site ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
Just a quick thank you i will look at your suggestions later as i have 3 grandkids claiming attention at the moment and they all want to go onto the cbeebies web site ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Palms
Where else?

Have fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2007, 11:58 AM

Well kids have gone but wore the ceebies site out first so i have gone through all your instructions

Doug it was the same in safe mode

CJ the add ons looked ok to me although i did find there was a way to uninstall the google taskbar which didnt work but that can wait for another day

Gary everything was as you said but can't find the little S i had read about that in the getting started but it isnt there

But

thought i would a have a look at the other settings to see if there was anything there that didnt look right,i could ask about and on the privacy tab there is a
"Ask me before clearing private data" and a "clear now" button so i pressed it, thinking it wouldnt hurt

and hey presto everything is back working normal again

dont know why or understand why but glad it has as i would like to stick it out with firefox as i have heard it is better and safer and maybe its me but it seems faster than IE which i have used for the last 6/7 years

Anyway thank you all for your help it was much appreciated

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2007, 12:15 PM

Sounds like your cache was full, this can often cause problems, clearing it out periodically is never a bad thing. Before clearing out your private settings though, click on Settings and uncheck useful things like Passwords, or you'll have to remember them all when you next visit a site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2007, 12:35 PM

Thank you again Gary for the additional advice now i know how to do it will empty it more often, again on IE would do it every week at least. Dont know why but have never had my passwords remembered dont mind entering them when i have emptied etc some i dont even check the remember me tab

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2007, 02:09 PM

Palms, can you see the "manage attachments" box now? If so, you might tell Swampy to clear her cache and see if that fixes her problem also.

I had to see what the "cbeebies" were, and found that Gary must be one of the Koala Brothers who sing:

"If you see a friend's in trouble and you don't know why,
Don't look away and just walk on by.
Sometimes things can turn out wrong,
You could be the one that helps them along!"
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware