RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Epson 2000p

Old 03-23-2002, 03:21 PM

Thumbs down

I hooked the new printer up to a USB port and left the old on in parallel port, it all seems to be working the only problem I had was I tried to get the old printer to work but it refused. I soon discovered that I didn't have the cables in properly, I forgot to switch cables after removing the old scanner and was wondering why the printer wouldn't work when it wasn't even connected to the computer. duh. But it all seems to be working fine now. All I have to do is work out the colour settings for the new printer, it prints much darker than the old one, and all will be fine.
Thanks for your advice I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2002, 09:46 PM

Hey Sanda, tell us more about the output ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2002, 11:52 PM

I haven't done a lot of printing with it as yet because I've been tied up with my duties as the Cricket Club Treasurer preparing the final accounts for the season. I've only printed 3 photos so far but those were all a little darker than the same photos printed on the 760. There is a definate improvement in quality but I feel I need to spend a bit of time getting used to it. I should have all the Cricket Club stuff out of the way by tomorrow so I can start playing with my new toys. I'll report back and post some of the results as soon as the rest of my life goes away and leaves me to do the things I want to do rather than the things I have to do. lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2002, 05:15 PM

Hi All,

I’m leaning towards the Epson 1280, but is the 2000 worth the difference? Also, is there any word of an upgrade from the 1280? I would not like to purchase just before new models come our.

TIA

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2002, 07:03 PM
Janitor

I've heard the 2000 makes lovely photos, but have recently been hearing a lot of complaints about metamerism (different colors of inks reflecting light in different ways). In one recent thread (I forget where I read it) the client complained that the image shifted green when viewed behind glass. After much back and forth, it turned out the client was correct.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2002, 02:38 PM

Hey there.. I have had the 2000p for about 4 months now. I own a photography studio and use it primarily for customers that want pics larger than 8x10 but smaller than Large format (I also own the 42" wide Kodak 3043). I have mixed feelings about the 2000p. I've gotten results that range from stunningly great to downright horrible, with no rhyme or reason what the difference is. There is a very active yahoo group that discusses this printer with all of its pros and cons. I won't try to summarize all of the issues here, but I would strongly suggest that anyone considering buying this printer read through the archives of that list and any other source of information they can find.

Would I buy it again, given what I know now?? Probably not. I would not suggest this printer for anyone that is not very technical and willing to spend the time (and money) that it takes to begin to master its peculiarities.

I admit, the (commissioned CompUSA) salesman talked me into buying it by scaring me about the pigmented inks vs. the fast fading of dye inks. I think there are more reasonable and reliable options out there for the money.

Like I said, I've gotten gasps of wonder from some of my customers when I show them their prints, but they don't see the discarded copies that end up in my trash can! Also, the metarism (sp?) problem is real and can be a deal killer!

Buyer beware...be very aware. I wish I had done my homework before buying this printer. One final note, a couple of days after I bought it, I read somewhere on the net that the model name of the printer should have been 2000S (for sucker!).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2002, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Royce
I admit, the (commissioned CompUSA) salesman talked me into buying it by scaring me about the pigmented inks vs. the fast fading of dye inks. I think there are more reasonable and reliable options out there for the money.
Royce, Can you elaborate a bit? Do you have any other particular options in mind?

Thanks, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2002, 04:20 PM

I've only had my 2000p for a few weeks and am still learning how to use it efficiently. Something I have noticed that is a concern to me is that the prints are not as sharp as my other printer or what is seen on the screen. There is a fussiness that I would like to eliminate.
I've also found it tends to block the ink jets easily and needs a nozzle clean more often but that's not a problem. I just make sure I clean the nozzels before each print job.
So far I think I'm a little dissapointed in it, especially when it cost me almost $1800AU.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware