Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Problem HP 7450 Photosmart Printer.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:33 AM
Exclamation Problem HP 7450 Photosmart Printer.

I've looked around the internet for a problem that i have with my HP Photosmart 7450 Printer & keep getting the same advice which really doesnt help my situation. Even the HP website FAQ's dont give any decent advice or doesnt go into detail about it for this model.

While testing cartridges in the HP 7450 Photosmart Printer a Paper Jam occured. I referred to the machines manual & proceeded to open the printer from the back & then cleared the jam by pulling the paper backwards from the model.

Once i placed the backing on i proceeded to do a Test Print to check for Ink consistancy but before i could get through the manual button press of "Holding the ON Button, pressing the X button 8 times, Grid button 1 time & the Folder button 4 times, the machine proceeded to start Feeding the paper inside the machine but instead of it sitting in the usual starting position it pulled it Halfway past the Print Head, which then lead to it displaying the Paper Empty icon.

So i did the same again to clear the paper as the autofeed would not let the paper feed out of the machine, to find that it just keeps doing the same no matter what way or method i clear it. The paper always feeds halfway past the print heads.

If anyone has any idea of how to solve this problem i would be very greatfull in solving it.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Re: Problem HP 7450 Photosmart Printer.

I've got HP8450... Haven't run into your problem, so no brilliant tech suggestions. If you haven't yet, does "uninstalling" / "reinstalling" the driver help? If not, that points to HW malfunction to me.

Considering time of year I'm guessing you're under the gun to make prints "soon."

If so, you might give thought to online print services to outsource the work...
* Costco
* Wal-mart
* etc.
If you upload to Mpix today, you'll get prints back by Wed. with express mail order. They are very fair with s/h. Great quality.

Plan B: Assuming no tech solutions are forthcoming and you have invested in printer specific ink carts and want to stay with this model, there's a new/never opened HP7450 for sale on eBay from what looks to be a very reputable seller. ~$57 total, inc. shipping.

Hope you get this sorted out soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2007, 09:35 PM

two things come to mind on this. 1. open the back again and check VERY carefully for any tiny bit of torn paper that might still be caught. and 2. make sure you have NO print jobs in the print queue! the old dot matrix printers would do the same thing if either of those things existed.

also, i'm going to guess you've already tried this, but turn the machine off, pull the usb cord and turn printer on without it being connected to the computer. if it still goofs up, then you'll need to replace it or service it, most likely. if it doesnt still goof up, then unintstall your software and re-install it following the install instructions exactly. HP is very fussy about when you hook the printer up to the computer and if you do it beforehand it will screw up.

also, if that computer has any removable paper trays, make sure these are fully seated or all the way in.

and, if you have a manual paper advance button, let the paper feed in like it does half way and then clear it forward with the manual feed, not backwards out the rear of the machine.

sometimes all you need to do to straigten out an errant piece of hardware is to reset it. pulling the usb cord and turning the machine off an on can sometimes act as a reset on a printer.

also, if there is a 'callibration or troubleshooting' mode you can put the printer in, try that. and check your printer manual in the troubleshooting section.

and if all else fails, call HP tech support or use their online tech support feature.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2007, 06:21 AM

Thnx for the input guyz, i tried all methods possible to get it to work properly but to no avail, ended up buying a new printer as the cost of repares from HP was not worth the money.

Thnx Heelixx
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2007, 08:14 AM

You and me both, Heelixx. I had the same model and got exactly the same problem. The printer is now sitting in my loft waiting to be thrown out. It also used to pull several sheets through at the same time. I've now got an HP Business Inkjet 1000 which cost less than £100, and I've had no trouble at all with it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware