RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Wacom, sensitivity, smooth lines

Old 12-25-2007, 05:43 PM

Wacom, sensitivity, smooth lines

I recently decided to re-install my wacom to help me with some D&B work. By D&B I mean using a soft light layer and using the brush tool to paint in shades of gray.

What I want is simple... I like controlling the brush diameter and hardness WITHOUT the wacom. Basically I don't want the wacom to change those settings at all or anything else than what mentionned below for that matter.

What I do want is that when I push the pen harder I get a darker line and when I softly stroke the pen on the tablet I want a lighter line.

I included an exemple of what I want to do. I want to be able to draw those 2 lines without changing any settings, just by pressing the pen harder for the dark line, and softer for the gray line.

I tried messing with the opacity settings with "pen pressure" but I cant seem to get a consistant smooth line. At best right now I'm getting a bunch of dots with different pressure one after another.

There has got to be a way to do what I want... I'm using a graphire tablet, the smallest one from a few years ago. it's something like 5x3.7.

PS: I also want to be able to build up the color as I go over the same spot more than once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wacom.jpg (60.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Enkay; 12-25-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2007, 06:17 PM

Re: Wacom, sensitivity, smooth lines

you have to change the settings in the brush pallette...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
you have to change the settings in the brush pallette...
That's what I tried doing but I think there's something I'm not doing right because I can't get it to work correctly. Do you mind writing out exactly the settings I'm supposed to be using in the brush palette?

EDIT: After some more testing I realized the pen pressure is actually not working at all in photoshop for me right now. Ha. At least it's not working badly...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wacom2.jpg (23.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Enkay; 12-26-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2007, 12:36 AM

Ok I got it to work. Uninstalled all the drivers and re-installed them again. Restarted the computer and now it works fine. I read that sometimes the sensitivity stops working in CS3 and that to fix it people open and close photoshop until it works so I'm not sure what fixed it, restarting photoshop or re-installing the driver... Oh well, as long as it's working I guess.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 08:41 PM

wow that's weird....are you using OS-X 10.5 ? I tried CS3 with it and theirs a few quarks...never had problems in 10.4 though.

You can checkout playing with the Cache levels in the preferences, if it gets too high it can make the tablet choppy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 09:32 PM

That's very interesting. I am using a graphire with CS3, and haven't seen the problem so far. What I have seen though, is if you set the opacity jitter above 0%, and you are using opacity jitter set to pen control, you will get exactly what you have here. If you set the opacity jitter to 0%, and set it to pen control, you will get the pen pressure controlling the opacity, which gives the results that you are looking for.

Setting the flow jitter above zero will cause the problem too. Both of these are under the Other Dynamics area.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware