RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

New Portrait Lens for D300

Old 01-18-2008, 04:54 AM

Re: New Portrait Lens for D300

Hi All,
I know it's a late reply but I guess I'll still throw in my concern just in case someone replies. Now, I got a Nikon D300 and was really considering buying this lens. I love taking photos of flying birds and moving thinks like cars. How, good or I should rather say Useful is this lens for those kind of shots? I am no where near an expert about camera or lenses. Just a hobby and I just started playing with Digital SLR camera from couple of months before. Anyway, it would be great if you can suggest me about this. Also, (as I said I am nowhere near an expert, a freshie in photography you can call me) normally we see a minimum and a maximum focal value (i.e. 18-85mm) which means minimum focal length is 18 and maximum is 85 so that you can zoom in and out. What about this lens? Also, has anyone used this lens with any Nikon gear or with Nikon D300? I've found the following about this lens from the Sigma website (http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...83&navigator=5) which concerned me a bit.

Corresponding AF Mounts SIGMA,
CANON,
NIKON (D),
FOUR THIRDS
* Nikon mount of this lens is not equipped with an aperture ring, therefore, depending on the camera model some functions may not work.

Has anyone faced any problem with Nikon Gear. A response will be will be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 05:13 PM

Smile Re: New Portrait Lens for D300

Longside,

Congrats on the new D-300...Buy a lens you can afford and start shooting. If you want to become a better shooter, you have to shoot. If what you can afford is a Sigma lens, thats what you need to have. I can make great images with a cardboard oatmeal canister, a pin hole and 4x5 Tri-x.You can also look into used lenses online at KEH.com, Adorama.com, or anywhere for that matter. I wouldn't shoot people/portraits with a 225 mm lens which is what the 150 is on a D-300. It flattens perspective too much...not great for face/head&shoulders shots. Ideal "look" for portraits is 85-105 as you get a little foreshortening without a real flat look. Multiply the focal length of the lens you are looking at by the 1.5 factor to get the true length of the lens on the D300. Stay with a 85-105 equivalent and you'll be happy.

Duane Salstrand is an RIT grad and has had his own commercial business for 23 years shooting for ad agencies & clients such as MacGregor Golf, American Express, Glaxo Pharmaceuticals, Pratt & Whitney.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2010, 03:25 AM

While I've not shot this on a sub-full-frame camera, I really like shooting the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 on my D3 in nightclubs and during gigs as it's sharp, bright, very fast (ultrasonic focus) and the bokeh is very smooth. It's also well built and my only gripe is the paint coating on the body wore off quite quickly. I picked up mine for AU$400 second hand from another shooter who didn't see its uses on full frame when he bought the D700.
On a full frame it's still usable for specific styles, as the vignette is produces is so very soft.

If you're keen on the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, see if you can hunt down a mint condition one from before the plastic fantastic glass was introduced. I have had one since the 80s when I shot on a Nikon FM2 and it's now often at home on the D3. Being metal it's a bit more robust than the new cheaper ones, mine survived more vicious heavy metal gigs (stagedivers/thrown bottles/fight dancers ect ect) and still shoots razor sharp shots.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2010, 04:26 AM

Long time ago I had this 85mm f 1.8 on my FA (I said long time ago!)
And bloody hell that was good!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4personnen View Post
Long time ago I had this 85mm f 1.8 on my FA (I said long time ago!)
And bloody hell that was good!
I've tried the 85mm f/1.8 on an old Nikon D70 and loved it, not as good as the exceptionally smooth f/1.4 but still very nice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2010, 05:34 AM

I guess the 1.4 was a bit out of my league :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2010, 06:28 AM

Thanks for sharing this wonderful post
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 AM

Glad you like it (one must spend one's spare time usefully)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Hi Longside1,

I hope you enjoy your D300 as much as I do mine. If you are doing portrait work, I'd suggest, as others already have, that a shorter focal length, in the 50-85 mm range, would be more appropriate.

I own the Sigma 150 macro and aside from the working distance issue, the bokeh in my opinion is not what you'd want in a portrait. The best way to describe is would be to say that the out of focus areas have "edges" that are more contrasty and would be distracting.

The Nikon 50 mm 1.8 is a very good choice if you are on a budget, although it is a little soft in the edges and corners when used wide open. This should not be an issue for your intended use. The 1.4 version would be a better choice if corner/edge sharpness is an issue. The other lens that could work would be the Sigma 50 1.4 which is actually sharper than the Nikon and has equally smooth bokeh. Be aware that this lens does suffer from focus shift as you stop down, somewhat more so than the Nikon. Again, if you are shooting wide open or close to that it should not be an issue.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware