RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Microsoft Vista

Old 02-04-2008, 05:27 PM

Re: Microsoft Vista

I got sick of it doing its indexing sometimes sounded like my hard drive was going to take off. It uses indexing to speed up file loading and finding. Compatibility with some of my favorite software was not great. It would switch from the Aero interface to a standard interface with a lot of programs. The interface is not the best I have seen. I personally feel that one good thing has came from this and that is, I will never use a Microsoft OS ever again even if they become the only OS manufacturer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2008, 06:40 PM

Lightbulb Re: Microsoft Vista

Vista has multi-threaded explorer which is GREAT. superfetch and ready boost is great too. However it can bog down your performance especially when you first start up. it only takes about a minute for it to load all your commonly used apps into ram so that it can load the app instantly. After using vista, using mac osx or xp kinda drags because programs load so slow. People complain vista is slow or eats up ram. If that's your case, either upgrade to 4 gigs of ram with 64 it OS, or go to services under admin tools and disable superfetch and readyboost. that'll fix the problem. Remember to defrag and routinely clean out your shadow copies or disable it altogether. Learn to use the computer before you complain about it. Vista is very nicely created. Given I've come across a couple bugs, but tell me what program, application, or operating system doesn't? Update all your drivers. Know your stuff. Then you'll be set.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2008, 02:23 AM

I think the best quote about vista I have seen must be "Lipstick on a Pig". I thought it summed it up nicely. I also find it rather insulting when someone replies with "Know your stuff. Then you'll be set". I am a 50 year old MCSE that remembers things like Windows 3.1 and using programs like Supercalc and Rapidfile. To finish I need to shout this out so here goes, NO HOME PC OPERATING SYSTEM SHOULD EVER NEED 4GB OF RAM TO RUN WELL.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2008, 03:34 AM

I've been having Vista since September and I'm not happy at all. Had I know it I would have waited for a pc with xp.
I keep on having problems with flash related programs. IE often freezes, the explorer tool often does not work. All those things (and many more) happen to other people who have Vista.

Moreover some of the "little" softwares I used daily do not work with Vista (but this is obviously not due to Vista).
So be careful. If you use minor softwares which are important for your work think before moving to Vista. I'm too lazy to do anything about it and honestly I spent a lot for this pc (a lot at least for me) so I cannot afford to buy another one or spend anything to move all my data and have Vista replaced.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmagoo View Post
I think the best quote about vista I have seen must be "Lipstick on a Pig". I thought it summed it up nicely. I also find it rather insulting when someone replies with "Know your stuff. Then you'll be set". I am a 50 year old MCSE that remembers things like Windows 3.1 and using programs like Supercalc and Rapidfile. To finish I need to shout this out so here goes, NO HOME PC OPERATING SYSTEM SHOULD EVER NEED 4GB OF RAM TO RUN WELL.
Gotta agree about the $4GM of RAM observation. The first mainframe I worked on had 32KB of memory, 24KB of which was for the OS.

FWIW had you noted your obvious (now) experience and industry knowledge in your first post, the replies since then would surely have taken that into account. Quite frankly your remarks at first appeared to be coming from someone w/o any first hand knowledge of the subject and because of your login name perhaps from one with a considerable Mac bias, warranted or not. Unsubstantiated (at the time) remarks of that nature (on about any topic) are far too common on forums like this.

Given the depth of and breadth of your knowledge/experience, I would have thought you would have opted for XP on the new laptop until at least SP 1 for Vista shipped. (It's going to be available soon per a recent news report.)

I'd be interested to know what prompted you to be among the relatively early adoptors of Vista. Was it so you could continue professional skills development? Obviously the results fell far below your expectations.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2008, 03:39 PM

Found that beta of Vista Sp1 helped reliability of the OS immensely. Be prepared to upgrade ram and possibly power supply to accommodate the increased ram and upgraded video cards needed in running vista. Most people are not aware that you need an extra 7 watts of power supply for every 128 mb of ram you add. Upgraded video cards can add another 25-30 watt of power use.

Gerry

BTW-Both elements 5.0 and 6.0 run well in Vista. Elements 6.0 has better interface and added features. Trial version is available now and would answer your questions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2008, 11:06 PM

Guys, I have been running Vista about a month after its release, yes there has been issues as like any new OS and for that matter in some cases with any new release of programs. I realize that the OS is the foundation on how a system will perform and run the many applications. With this in mind I built a system that was fully Vista compatible, in fact the system run smoother and faster in Vista than XP, I built the system with a dual boot option as a back up in case I was not happy with Vista, I haven't ran XP in over a year and you couldn't get me to go back to it. I run Adobe's CS3 Pro Suite and multi task apps in the background with no issues, crashes, system freezes, etc. An additional note; I originally installed Vista 32 bit OS and about 6 months ago I obtained from Microsoft the 64 bit version, EVEN faster and more efficient! When it comes to photo manipulation and graphics apps this is the way to go...as a comparison I also have a Mac Pro that I run these same apps on, the PC runs them as fast if not a tad bit faster, 64 bit of coarse.
Moral of the story: You can't place a V8 into a Volkswagon Beetle and expect it to run correctly, they were not built for each other. Same goes for OS and Hardware, Microsoft and Hardware developers work together not against each other, think about it, that's why I have a system that runs flawlessly.
As far as plug-ins; I hadn't ran into any issues as of the current date and I have a lot installed.
Contact me if you are interested in my system configuration.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware