Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

My quick review of the Wacom Cintiq 12wx

Old 02-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Thumbs up My quick review of the Wacom Cintiq 12wx

Purchased this little beauty just over a month ago. Somehow I managed to justify the purchase by figuring it was only $400 more than the Intiuos I wanted.

Right out of the box, I drooled. Just like Macintosh, Wacom takes great care in packaging and presentation. Installation was a breeze even though I had to buy additional adapters for my iBook and PC's video card.

The size is really nice, sorta like working on a drawing pad. The response, pressure sensitivity are all great (its a Wacom). The screen is clear and calibration is a breeze.

I've had challenges with figuring out exactly what keyboard shortcuts I use the most when programming the express keys. I never realized how much I use a keyboard. This is only a big challenge when used on the laptop. I have it setup so I do not even use the laptop. I can lounge on the couch and work. The PC, on the other hand, is setup on a desk and I have easy access to my keyboard.

The biggest gripe I have (and it isn't a large one) is that I didn't know how accustom I had become to my hand not being in the way. It is really weird. I have worked on tablets for 10 years. Now with this new Cintiq, I find I have to move my hand in positions to see the image underneith. I guess I'm spoiled and I have strayed too far from my drawing roots.

I know it isn't the most scientific review, but it was my quick assessment

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Re: My quick review of the Wacom Cintiq 12wx

Cool. How is it at that low resolution?: 1280x800
I assume you can use an external pallette monitor, yes?
Brightness: 180 cd/m2 - Can you calibrate it to say 100cd ?
It lists: ICC profile, 6500° K whitepoint default - Are you able to change it to 5000?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2008, 09:28 AM

Now I just need you to buy an Axiotron Modbook and compare the two to help me decide which way to go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2008, 09:46 AM

i used one, the 21"er at my old job and had the same problem with hiding the image with my hand...that was very annoying, but we had it set up to mirror on another monitor, and a 3rd monitor for palets.

one thing i loved about it was keeping the image at fit to screen on the regular monitor...and having the cintiq view set up really close for zoom stuff. Was nice to just look up at the monitor when i wanted to see the entire image instead of having to wait for zooming in and out.

working on very large, like 1 or 2 gig files had lag to it, but no too bad.

D&B was nice on it though...felt like you were drawing.

you can assign it it's own profile i believe, (had someone at the place do that for me) so you can adjust the brightness and whatnot...but i don't know about the low resolution of the 12"er. might not be enough....i would love to try one.

:::for the price and real estate it takes up....not a necessity, especially for home use.

Last edited by KR1156; 02-13-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware